DuoLingo

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris
DuoLingo

Post by Chiclo »

I am playing this game on my wife's iPad. I am totally tearing the Portuguese level a new *SQUEE*. Four days in and I am level 7 and have nearly 500 XP points.

Eu não fala o bem portugues, mais eu podo fingir um ok portanhol.

KXXX
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: Shadowman N64
Favorite character: 2012 Torque
Location: Up your butt and around the corner, all the way to California
Re: DuoLingo

Post by KXXX »

As someone who is constantly trying to lazily learn German without paying for it, DuoLingo was a great few weeks I forgot all about.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Still tearing through Portuguese and I thought I would try my hand at Irish. Frell. That is a hard one. Harder than Russian and Japanese. It would help were every phrase spoken aloud but I guess they are still building up their bank of sound files.

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

Chiclo wrote:I am playing this game on my wife's iPad. I am totally tearing the Portuguese level a new *SQUEE*. Four days in and I am level 7 and have nearly 500 XP points.

Eu não fala o bem portugues, mais eu podo fingir um ok [i]portanhol[/i].
Chiclo... you gave me an intellectual boner. Seeing that term used (portuguese called it Portunhol, but our neighbors may call it differentely) by a non-iberian really makes me giggle. :lol: AND YOU are nailing it, sir! Congrats for pushing you linguistic boundaries. :D :thumb:
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

It looks like I will finish the Portuguese tree on January 1st.

I have been working in the Immersion section, translating a few Portuguese articles into English. I was working on an article about the History of Portugal and one sentence mentioned a medieval manuscript, the Parochiale Suevorum, a manuscript from the mid-5th century (contemporary with the Visigothic kingdom in Spain) detailing the division of the Swabian empire in Galicia into parishes and diocese. When I run across the name of such an historical document, I always try to check and see if there is an accepted English name for this document and so I ran the name of the document through Google. I found the Portuguese wikipedia page and read it and then looked to see if there was an English version of the page but it was only available in Spanish, Portuguese and "galego" (Galician?). I cross-referenced with the spanish page but left the name of the manuscript in Portuguese in my English translation of the article I submitted for peer review. Last week, I translated from Portuguese into English an article a professor in Brazil had written explaining some concepts of modern cosmology. That was fun and I figured it was worthwhile for me to translate because I am familiar with the common English names of many of these theories and concepts he was relating.

Eu posso ler e escrever Português com algum grau de habilidade, mas eu não tinha tido uma conversa com outra pessoa no português falado. Estou particularmente intimidada a fazê-lo, porque eu sou Teixanho e eu não falo nem entendo Inglês tão rapidamente como a maioria dos falantes de português falam a língua. Mais, eu gostaria de tentar. Eu gostaria de saber se eu vou falar português com sotaque espanhol ou inglês? Eu não saberia a diferença.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Minha compreensão de leitura no português está melhorando. Eu tenho lido alguns quadrinhos e artigos de internet em Português. Agora eu quero encontrar-me uma cópia de Os Lusiadas no Português original, inculto e bela. Se eu quero saber a língua, eu saberia Camões.

I have finished the Portuguese tree on DuoLingo and am now working through the Italian tree. I am still working through the German tree, too. I estimate I will finish off the German tree somewhere around May 1st and the Italian tree around July 1st. After I complete these two trees, I will tackle Dutch and French respectively. I am working through one Romance language tree and one Germanic language tree concurrently for the time being but I will run out of Romance language trees after French. Romanian and Esperanto are in the incubator. I have considerably more interest in Romanian than Esperanto but Esperanto is much closer to being released. On the Germanic side, after Dutch both Swedish and Danish are available. Norge just started in the incubator but will probably not be available for a while. I have considered whether to study Svenska or Dansk following Dutch and I am leaning towards Svenska for the time being.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Chiclo wrote:Minha compreensão de leitura no português está melhorando. Eu tenho lido alguns quadrinhos e artigos de internet em Português. Agora eu quero encontrar-me uma cópia de Os Lusiadas no Português original, inculto e bela. Se eu quero saber a língua, eu saberia Camões.

I have finished the Portuguese tree on DuoLingo and am now working through the Italian tree. I am still working through the German tree, too. I estimate I will finish off the German tree somewhere around May 1st and the Italian tree around July 1st. After I complete these two trees, I will tackle Dutch and French respectively. I am working through one Romance language tree and one Germanic language tree concurrently for the time being but I will run out of Romance language trees after French. Romanian and Esperanto are in the incubator. I have considerably more interest in Romanian than Esperanto but Esperanto is much closer to being released. On the Germanic side, after Dutch both Swedish and Danish are available. Norge just started in the incubator but will probably not be available for a while. I have considered whether to study Svenska or Dansk following Dutch and I am leaning towards Svenska for the time being.
I always wanted to learn Russian. It's not very useful in the US though.

My brain just isn't wired for learning other languages, though.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

Another game you might want to try is Cunnilingo.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

depluto wrote:Another game you might want to try is Cunnilingo.
I have never quite won that game.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Chiclo wrote:
depluto wrote:Another game you might want to try is Cunnilingo.
I have never quite won that game.

:lol:
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

ShadowTuga
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

Chiclo wrote:Minha compreensão de leitura no português está melhorando. Eu tenho lido alguns quadrinhos e artigos de internet em Português. Agora eu quero encontrar-me uma cópia de Os Lusiadas no Português original, inculto e bela. Se eu quero saber a língua, eu saberia Camões.

Chiclo, Wikisource has the Lusíadas, here:
https://pt.wikisource.org/wiki/Os_Lus%C3%ADadas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And the original version in "archaic" portuguese:
https://pt.wikisource.org/wiki/Os_Lvsiadas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

They have added Klingon to the incubator!

https://www.duolingo.com/course/tlh/en/ ... gon-Online" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have resisted pointing out on their discussion boards that they claim the Bird of Prey was as shown in the Beta Quadrant even though the Klingon Empire does not extend into the Beta Quadrant. The boundary between the Alpha and Beta Quadrants goes from galactic center through our star Sol and is roughly the boundary between the Klingon and Romulan Empires as well.