Star Citizen

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Star Citizen

Post by jmatt »

Anybody following the new Chris Roberts space-faring universe endeavor? It's still in the works, but it's gotten $75 million in crowd source funding.

I have been waiting for something like this since Star Wars Galaxies. I had a bad experience with EVE Online, so I'm positively excited to see something new.

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Re: Star Citizen

Post by Phoenix8008 »

I've been checking up on it now and again. I was a big fan of his original Wing Commander series, so I'd love for this game to live up to it's potential. I haven't looked lately to see how far along it is, but I'll likely get into it at some point when it's further along.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

Phoenix8008

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Okay, so I've signed up on the Roberts Space Industries website and plan to get into this game before long. And I've made my character's name Gilad Anni-Padda with his Handle being Eternal_Warrior! Anybody else gonna play this game? Anybody else wanna take some Valiant names out to the stars?
Viva la Valiant!

dornwolf
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by dornwolf »

Is this game even into open beta. All I ever hear is how much money it's raised now and some new ship models a person can drop massive amounts of cash on.

Phoenix8008

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Still in Alpha, I think. It has raised a bunch of money, so much so that they don't need any big companies involved to back them and mess with development. There are a lot of different game packages (ship models) that can be bought currently that give you access to:
-Arena Commander Pass (access to the virtual testbed simulator you can fly/fight in and earn in game currency)
-Digital Download of the current version of the full game
-Digital Download of the Squadron 42 single player (upon release)
-Beta access
-Personal Hanger (of varying levels of fanciness depending on pledge amount/ship type bought) where all of your ships are accessible along with a 'bedroom' area
-Digital game manual
-In game currency (of varying amounts depending on pledge amount/ship type bought)
-Possible other extras depending on pledge amount/ship type bought (like soundtrack, star map, decorations for hanger/living space, etc)

I don't consider it 'pay to win' though, because you can also buy all these ships within the game with in-game currency. Start with a basic ship (cheapest packages are $45 for a one seat fighter or $30 for the cheapest utility ship) and do jobs/collect bounties/do piracy/whatever to earn money until you can buy the ship you want. It's more like 'pay to get stuff quicker' for those with limited time to play, not wanting to be required to grind for awhile to get the ship you want. Just like the real world, you want good stuff, you're gonna pay in time or money.

Here's a link to the page with possible ship packages currently: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/game-packages
Viva la Valiant!

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Unless Robert's gets off his high horse and makes a console version I won't play it. I loathe playing games on PC.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Phoenix8008 wrote:Anybody else wanna take some Valiant names out to the stars?
We should get a crew together and start a clan or guild at some point.

My worry is that without corporate backers to answer to, this thing will just stay in development forever while feature creep just keeps pushing back the official release.

I haven't checked on it in awhile, though.
Phoenix8008 wrote:I don't consider it 'pay to win' though, because you can also buy all these ships within the game with in-game currency. [/url]
Starting with an enormous, expensive ship could be a disadvantage if you don't have enough friends to support and supply it, because it's requirements will also be expensive. If you can't afford to fuel it and kit it out properly, it's likely to lose in combat or even be boarded and stolen.

Phoenix8008

Post by Phoenix8008 »

jmatt wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote:Anybody else wanna take some Valiant names out to the stars?
We should get a crew together and start a clan or guild at some point.
That was my thought. A Valiant based Organization (their term for clans/guilds in this game).
jmatt wrote:My worry is that without corporate backers to answer to, this thing will just stay in development forever while feature creep just keeps pushing back the official release.

I haven't checked on it in awhile, though.
Phoenix8008 wrote:I don't consider it 'pay to win' though, because you can also buy all these ships within the game with in-game currency. [/url]
Starting with an enormous, expensive ship could be a disadvantage if you don't have enough friends to support and supply it, because it's requirements will also be expensive. If you can't afford to fuel it and kit it out properly, it's likely to lose in combat or even be boarded and stolen.
I'd say they're getting plenty of pressure to keep it moving and get it released as soon as it's viable to do so. Look for possible big news/announcements from CitizenCon this coming Saturday (10 October).

There is going to be a system by which you can 'hire' NPC characters to crew your ship, but I've got to believe a team of all players would outshine an NPC crew. Also, keep in mind that this game isn't going to be totally PvP by any means. It's been said that, in general, just walking/flying around the cities/systems that 90-95% of any people/ships you come across will be NPC AI's, not players. Not that players in an Org couldn't form up their own big armada's to fight each other, but it should be the exception and not the rule.
Viva la Valiant!

Phoenix8008

Post by Phoenix8008 »

So, they've just recently released version 2.0.0 of Star Citizen Alpha and they've just passed the $100 million mark for crowd funding of the game. I'm working on downloading the update myself.

Previously the only playable modules were:
- A hanger where you could view/interact with any ships you had purchased.
- An in game 'simulator' that you could play solo or multiplayer racing/dogfighting games with any ships you owned (that were available for use yet) or any other rented ships to use in the simulator only. (This was the testbed for the space combat system that would later be used for the full game.)
- A social module zone where you could walk around a city area and interact with other players. No NPC interaction yet, but stores with shopkeepers were there for future use.

The new 2.0.0 has the following in addition:
- 17 open world missions and 20+ random encounters in a large system zone that needs Quantum Engines to reach far away areas.
- First person shooter capability with a designated zone for PVP combat as well as the freedom to FPS in other zones, inside ships (even in transit), or even while EVA from your ship!
- 1 planet, 3 moons, 3 space stations, and 9 comm arrays for exploration, missions, scavenging, and encounters.
- Multicrew ships, ship to ship transitions, ship repair and refueling systems.
- Seamless first person gameplay allowing you to leave pilot chair while in flight, move around the ship within it's artificial gravity to other stations, exit the ship into weightless EVA, and reboard your ship (or another) into the local gravity again... all without any loading screens.

It's still in Alpha of course. It does have crashes, and bugs, and other issues. There are lots of things needed still: a real workable party system; transitioning from your hangar, through atmosphere, into space, and on to other systems; NPC's that you can interact with, buy stuff from, etc; and customization of individual players characters (for a start). But this whole system is now going to be the testbed for all the systems that will be accessible in the future. Once they iron out the issues and make it run all right in this one system, then it's just a matter of adding content and duplicating the system architecture to fill up the galaxy!

Here's a link to the announcement about all this with further details: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/feature-list
Viva la Valiant!

Phoenix8008

Post by Phoenix8008 »

I know I'm about the only cheerleader for this game on the boards here, but the stuff that is coming up seems pretty groundbreaking to me. Check out this 2016 Gamescom Live Game Demo for the 3.0 version of the Alpha which is scheduled to release before the end of this year!

Some of the features shown off in this demo that will be available in (or before) the 3.0 release by the end of this year include:
  1. One fully realized Star System with multiple planets, moons, asteroid belts and space stations.
  2. A new game mode for Arena Commander (the game within the game testbed for ship to ship combat), with improved flight /combat mechanics.
  3. A 'bad guy' base called Grimhex (for pirates and less lawful types) with it's own Asteroid Slalom Race zone.
  4. New NETCODE which should help ease some of the framerate or graphical issues.
  5. STAR MARINE FPS in game 'simulator' (game within a game testbed for the FPS mechanics/weapons/armor/etc).
  6. Basic Professions like: Trading, Cargo Transport, Piracy, Mercenary, and Bounty Hunting - this means you can work in game missions to earn credits which can be used to purchase things in game, like: Ship Repairs, Clothes, Weapons, and Armor. Some shops for some of these items are already in game and usable!
If you tried No Man's Sky and were disappointed, check this game out some. There's a 'Free Fly' going on this weekend:
The Free Fly will give everyone access to the nimble Mustang Gamma, the ferocious Sabre and the hard-slogging Freelancer through Monday, August 22nd, 2016.
Go here to sign up and try it out for free!

It was so awesome in the demo to see them go from one space station, to onboard a ship, to warping to another planet, to entering the atmosphere (with great atmospheric effects no less!), to landing on the planet and docking, so that the one player could get out and walk around... and realize that it was all SEAMLESS! No loading screens! No loading screens disguised as elevators!! Real elevators that really move from place to place with you in them. And you know this because the guy outside the base flying in his ship is watching your character as you go down in the elevator!! :o :bugeyed:

Too frakin' cool! :thumb:
Viva la Valiant!

Keith
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

Sounds like a cool game, but I'm in a similar boat as Cyberstrike. Not a PC/Mac gamer, strictly console.

No Mans Sky - I feel like I should give it a little more time, but after 5 or 6 planets one can't get the feeling that the term "rinse and repeat" has never been more appropriate.
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

I hope Star Citizen doesn't wind up like Mighty No. 9 an extremely over-hyped and extremely disappointing crown funded game because if it is I will never get any peace on the video games forums that I frequent and the ones where I'm an admin and/or mod.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Phoenix8008

Post by Phoenix8008 »

So, here's the latest update for what's going on with Star Citizen (for the 3 or 4 people that have read the thread, 2 of which don't play PC games. facepalm ).

Alpha Patch 2.6 released about a week ago. Here's some of the new features:
Star Marine is here! Star Citizen’s first-person combat simulator lets backers engage in pitched FPS battles complete with multiple game modes, leaderboards and an all-new user interface. The initial launch of Star Marine includes two maps, OP Station Demien and Echo Eleven, as well as two game modes. Elimination is a free-for-all everyone-for-themselves fight where players duke it out for the highest kill score. Last Stand offers a chance for players to team up and battle for dominance over several Control Points in a fight where proper teamwork will determine victory.

Star Marine features numerous updates to Star Citizen’s FPS systems including grenades, vaulting, and combat emotes. The Player Health System has been updated so that you can now bleed out, when injured your health pool decreases over time until it reaches a fatal limit or the player heals. Competitive leaderboards have also been included, as well as a major UI update to the lobby. Star Marine is accessible to all backers with Star Citizen packages.
Star Marine isn’t the only major update in Star Citizen Alpha 2.6. The Arena Commander ‘dogfighting module’ has been updated and expanded with a special focus on improvements to overall flight balance. Three multi-crew ships have also been added to Arena Commander’s private matches: the Retaliator, the Caterpillar and the Constellation Andromeda.Thanks to an incredible testing effort by our internal Quality Assurance teams and the Evocati backer group, we’ve come up with some flight balance changes that we think improve the overall experience. We’re eager to hear what you think, so please test out your favorite ship and then sound off on the forums.

A new game mode, Pirate Swarm, has also been added to Arena Commander, allowing players to fend off increasingly difficult waves of the notorious Nova Rider outlaw pack. To celebrate this new mode, we are offering two new ‘bounty missions’ with this patch: defeating the updated Vanduul Swarm and the new Pirate Swarm modes will earn you an account badge. Receiving the Vanduul Swarm badge will once again give players access to purchase a Glaive from a limited stock of 1,500 ships, while the Pirate Swarm badge will give access to purchase a unique pirate-skinned Caterpillar that will be available in the store for a two week limited-run.
  • 8 new ships and variants are hangar and flight ready in 2.6.
  • Massive overhaul of ship flight mechanics.
  • Complete rebalance of SCM speeds and ship handling for all ships.
  • Afterburner and Boost functionality has been completely revised. The goal is that Afterburner becomes the method to engage/disengage combat as well as gives the choice between outright speed or better handling.
  • We’ve also reinvented our Fuel System. All ships have had a pass on their thruster fuel consumption values, intake regeneration rates and fuel tank capacities.
  • Complete rebalance of all shields, all missiles and missile racks and countermeasure ammo for all ships.
The Items 2.0 rollout continues with Star Citizen 2.6, with a special focus this month on missiles! The patch adds ten missile types, fifteen new missile racks and three guns to finish out the Behring MXA series.
  • Persistent Universe
  • Ol ‘38 Bar added to Grim HEX landing zone.
  • Crusader has several new locations to visit and a new ICC Probe mission.
  • The Yela Asteroid belt has received some updates, with a much denser field and more varied salvage locations.
Lobby Refactor
  • Our new front end user interface is now implemented, with updated graphics and new features.
  • All new loadout customization section for Arena Commander that allows players to edit their ship components for Arena Commander matches through the game interface without the use of Port Modification. This changes will also be retained between play sessions.
  • Updated Leaderboards for Star Marine and Arena Commander on the website now rank players in each game utilizing actual UEE ranks.
Third-Person Camera System
  • The third-person cameras for Vehicle and On-Foot have been much improved in 2.6. Players can now select lens size and offset the camera to create cinematic and dynamic framing.
Health System Updates
  • Bleeding has been added to the game, in both the Persistent Universe and Star Marine. This debuff stacks (additively) with itself and will decrease your total health pool each second it ticks down until healed.
TOTAL CROWD FUNDING SO FAR: $140,499,286 as of 30 December, 2016.
TOTAL MEMBERS ('Star Citizens'): 1,703,693 as of 30 December, 2016.
Viva la Valiant!

Phoenix8008

Post by Phoenix8008 »

For those couple interested folks, the latest announcement for the next big release has been posted here.

Star Citizen 3.0 should go live around the end of June 2017 according to the current schedule. This will add 3 new moons in the persistent solar system that can be fully explored by ship, rover, or on foot.
"The worlds we’re creating are massive, and giant planets mean we need a lot of eyes (and mice, keyboards and flight sticks) making sure they’re up to par. How big do I mean? It takes about four and half hours to circumnavigate the Cellin in a Dragonfly at full afterburn or twelve and half days of walking! If every single person registered through RSI today (currently over 1,700,000!!!) stood on the same moon at the same distance, they wouldn’t even see each other. There’s a lot to explore and a LOT to test in this massive step forward for Star Citizen."
"While the Planetary Tech is maybe the biggest headline, it is just one of the many new pieces of tech that will debut with 3.0. With the increased detail of the Weekly Studio reports, you’ve been seeing glimpses of fundamental systems that we have been building that will dramatically increase the ability to interact and be immersed in the universe of Star Citizen. Systems like Item 2.0 with its new Player Interaction Mode that allows for a much wider variety of actions and gameplay, such as managing a wider array of your ship’s functions to using and manipulating items like you can in real-life. Or the Entity Owner Manager that will allow us to persist proper state on Players, Ships and Items no matter where they are, even if not in memory or owned by a Player. If your ship is shot up, it will still be shot up when you log back in or return to spot you left it on a Moon. Or the completely new dynamic Physics Grid System that handles the needs of planets and the wide-open reaches of space. You can stand on a Moon as it rotates on its axis, watching the sun rise and fall! Or Cargo and Kiosks that will open the possibility of Professions by allowing Players to earn money as a Trader, Hauler or Pirate. Of course Haulers need protection and Pirates need hunting, which creates opportunities for Mercenaries and Bounty Hunters via the new MobiGlas Mission App. Or the debut of Subsumption’s Mission system which provides a scalable and flexible system that is tightly integrated with our new AI systems, allowing us to generate challenging encounters and scenarios on the fly as well as creating a structure for multipart and narrative missions longer term."
Viva la Valiant!