Until Dawn

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
Until Dawn

Post by lorddunlow »

I don't buy games new anymore because they drop in price so soon and have an "ultimate edition" or whatever several months later with more content, but I read a review of this game on Monday that said "the best horror movie of 2015 is a video game" and couldn't wait to play it.

It's basically a "choose your own adventure" on steroids. Motion capture graphics of the actual actors including some I recognize from TV/movies (Hayden Panettiere for example). It's supposed to have many many paths with numerous endings. Eight characters (plus two in the prologue only) that you control throughout the game. Decisions affect relationship between characters and change the decision tree as you go along. Apparently your decisions can lead to any, all, or none of the characters surviving until the end.

Just purchased it tonight and played through remote play on my Vita in bed with headphones. Scary as hell. It really is just like an interactive movie which makes it even scarier. More visceral and makes the characters feel even more real.

I'll let you guys know what I think when I finish my first play through. I've played the first 2 chapters and I'm hooked.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

lorddunlow
Re: Until Dawn

Post by lorddunlow »

I guess nobody else thought the game was interesting.

Beware Cyclops
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by Beware Cyclops »

lorddunlow wrote:I'll let you guys know what I think when I finish my first play through.
lorddunlow wrote:I guess nobody else thought the game was interesting.
I'm waiting to hear what you think of it! :poke:

Aside fro that, it looks interesting enough that I'll probably get it eventually. I'd have to get a PS4 first.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Pretty sure I lost my first character.

Beware Cyclops

Post by Beware Cyclops »

:P It won't be the last time.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Lost two. Had to choose between two characters who were tied up. Guy I didn't pick to save was sawed in half...

This game, man. So scary.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Scariest part of the game is it takes place in Vancouver... CANADA!

Beware Cyclops

Post by Beware Cyclops »

The horror! The horror!!

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

I was mistaken. One of the companies was based in Vancouver. The cabin is in Alberta. That might be worse.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Totally getting everyone killed by the way. Played for about 4hrs straight last night (went to bed around 430am) and watched 2 characters die for sure, 2 likely died (both dropped to an apparent death), and 2 possibly died (saw coming down on top of them and fadeout with screams, but didn't see it happen, so might still be alive...

That leaves me only sure of 2 characters still being alive. I'm doing poorly, I think. At this point, it doesn't seem possible to save all 8 characters. Can't wait to finish this play through and start again to make better decisions.

It's really crazy. During the "learning the controls" part that is in every modern game, I shot a squirrel that caused a domino effect that caused one of the characters to be captured last night (many hours of gameplay later). Whenever you make a decision that will have lasting effects on the storyline you get a little flourish of butterflies and a "Butterfly Effect Update" in the menu to alert you that you've changed the course of the storyline. Once I finish a few playthroughs, I'm going to read online and see how many combinations there are. Seems almost inexhaustible as far as minor differences in each playthrough and possibly several dozen endings (based on the fact you can finish with 8, 0, or any combination of characters between those numbers.

I'm also wondering if the identity of the murderer changes with each playthrough because I have a wild theory that my first death may have faked his death is the actual murderer. He has motive and would actually fit the profile...

I'm semi-obsessed with this game. It is very enjoyable.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Obviously, I'm just talking to myself (and Beware Cyclops) here, but whatever...

If anyone wants to see some of the game (mostly spoiler free), this is a link to my youtube account where I used PS4 share to share some video of my gameplay. Most of these are cutscenes, but actual gameplay looks about the same. I included a few shots of actual gameplay in the mix.

Beware Cyclops

Post by Beware Cyclops »

I've been looking at a few via Twitter. I'll never look at a dollhouse in quite the same way again! :|

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

How violent is it? While I'm not apposed to violence in my videos games, hello GTA 5, I'm not into over the top gruesome violence. Typically the type the is very relevant in todays horror movies.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

dornwolf wrote:How violent is it? While I'm not apposed to violence in my videos games, hello GTA 5, I'm not into over the top gruesome violence. Typically the type the is very relevant in todays horror movies.
There are a couple really gruesome scenes, but overall it hasn't been too bad.