Favorite artist: Clayton Crain
Nintendo Switch

Post by Watchtower »

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)
Re: Nintendo Switch

Post by jeremycoe »

I'm intrigued, but not sold yet.
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

It looks like a sad, *SQUEE*-up puppy.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

It's weird for sure. Very Nintendo. I'll be buying one I'm sure.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Keith
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

Pass, but I would be passing anyway. My last Nintendo system was the GameCube, which I won in a contest. I barely played the thing, as I realized that I just was not interested in Nintendo's games anymore.

That controller looks awkward.
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Keith wrote:
That controller looks awkward.
A statement that has been true of every Nintendo console release since the N64.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Not sure how I feel about this one. The lack of AAA titles for the current system has drove a lot of gamers away. They need to refocus on getting great games and stop with the gimmicks. The new console really just looks like it's a remodeled WiiU.

Dr Noel
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: magnus
Favorite title: magnus/harbinger
Favorite writer: shooter

Post by Dr Noel »

I'm not a big gamer, but usually go for Nintendo because I love Mario and Zelda games. That being said I have no idea what they have against regular controllers.

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Dr Noel wrote:I'm not a big gamer, but usually go for Nintendo because I love Mario and Zelda games. That being said I have no idea what they have against regular controllers.

That's what makes me think they simply can't compete anymore and are hoping new gimmicks will do what the original Wii did for them.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Daniel Jackson wrote:
Dr Noel wrote:I'm not a big gamer, but usually go for Nintendo because I love Mario and Zelda games. That being said I have no idea what they have against regular controllers.

That's what makes me think they simply can't compete anymore and are hoping new gimmicks will do what the original Wii did for them.
Nintendo burnt a lot of AAA publishers and developers back in the day with their damn extreme use of Nintendo only technology and the rights to some games they simply won't let go of the control that once held back in NES and SNES days.

They could easily make the Switch one the biggest sellers if they put a huge HD in it and they finally opened up their back catalog and sold NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Gameboy, GBA, DS, Wii, Wii-U games available as digital downloads for reasonable prices (say $1 a most NES, SNES, Gameboy, and GBA games with popular titles for about $5 and $10-15 for games on more recent systems) if they can get other games from the various Sega, Atari, Neo Geo platforms they would make even more money with an easy to use interface and all their games should feature both local and online multiplayer and in some cases they can add HD remasters to certain games and make sure that players would OWN all their games and not be a monthly rental (and some of those NES and SNES games are take forever to beat). Then with own games and whatever recent 3rd party publishers and developers they might have a shot. That right there would make the Switch and their new online feature at least more appealing to me. I mean that mini NES was something a lot of people wanted.

But their silly controllers and the whole it's a console that you can take on the go so I can play Skyrim isn't enough to make me want one or buy one.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Cyberstrike wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote:

Nintendo burnt a lot of AAA publishers and developers back in the day with their damn extreme use of Nintendo only technology and the rights to some games they simply won't let go of the control that once held back in NES and SNES days.

They could easily make the Switch one the biggest sellers if they put a huge HD in it and they finally opened up their back catalog and sold NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Gameboy, GBA, DS, Wii, Wii-U games available as digital downloads for reasonable prices (say $1 a most NES, SNES, Gameboy, and GBA games with popular titles for about $5 and $10-15 for games on more recent systems) if they can get other games from the various Sega, Atari, Neo Geo platforms they would make even more money with an easy to use interface and all their games should feature both local and online multiplayer and in some cases they can add HD remasters to certain games and make sure that players would OWN all their games and not be a monthly rental (and some of those NES and SNES games are take forever to beat). Then with own games and whatever recent 3rd party publishers and developers they might have a shot. That right there would make the Switch and their new online feature at least more appealing to me. I mean that mini NES was something a lot of people wanted.

But their silly controllers and the whole it's a console that you can take on the go so I can play Skyrim isn't enough to make me want one or buy one.
Yeah, playing anywhere isn't a big draw for me either. I wish them luck, but I think they are once again, moving in the wrong direction. Another mediocre selling console is the last thing they need at this point. It really wouldn't surprise me if they initially start shipping a tiny amount to create a buzz as they have done in the past (like the recent NES Classic edition). Once those people are satisfied though, I don't see it making a big splash.

Keith

Post by Keith »

So did anyone get one?

I'll confess to being intrigued by Zelda despite my overall lack of enthusiasm when it comes to Nintendo. Not enough of an excuse to spend $300, that's for sure.

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Nintendo Switch

Post by possumgrease »

We bought one. Zelda might be worth $300 by itself. I assume though there will be a holiday bundle later in the year.
Last edited by possumgrease on Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:47:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brother Darque

Post by Brother Darque »

This video has been making the rounds.

Beware Cyclops
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by Beware Cyclops »

Nintend'oh!!

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

They definitely rushed the launch. I'll be waiting for Switch lite or mini or whatever the next slightly changed iteration is.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

What a nightmare of a launch. Another gimmicky device prone to a lot of issues that could have been easily prevented with a moderate amount of testing. There is no excuse for a controller to be able to click into place backwards and then not come back off.

Instead of trying to bring a next gen console to compete with Sony and MS, they choose to make a jacked up version of a Gameboy that already is glitching and prone to lots of bugs. In the press release the controller is so amazing that it even detects the difference between pouring water and ice cubes. But in the Youtube clip you see the controller not responding, freezing and even having issues with wobbling when connected to the screen. I really love how the cradle is so poorly designed that it actually scratches the screen when you put it in place. Sad....

Keith

Post by Keith »

Well, looks like I will soon own my first Nintendo console in a long, long time. The wife had the lovely idea of buying me one for my upcoming birthday, and as timing would have it, Gamestop put a new bundle up for pre-order that we were able to jump on. The bundle includes Zelda and Mario Kart 8... Zelda for me, and Mario Kart for the wife and I to play together.

Fingers crossed it's not silly with defects.

Dr Noel
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: magnus
Favorite title: magnus/harbinger
Favorite writer: shooter

Post by Dr Noel »

I bought one for the Zelda game which is freaking awesome! Definitely worth buying. I've had no problems with bugs or anything, but I only play a couple hours at night at the most. Plus I got the complete warranty from gamestop. If anything does go wrong they replace the whole thing, no questions asked.

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

With 10,000,000+ units sold, it isn't the bomb some worried it would be. With solid to great first party games and several AAA publishers lining up to do games-ports, but more importantly, exclusives-on the system, I think it is safe to say, Nintendo has another hit. I wouldn't worry too much about them, as a rule, though. After all, the 3DS is a license to print money.

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

ill stick with my super nes for now they need 20 plus top notch titles for me to bite