Anyone play Table Top RPGs?

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Wodwulf Seaxaning
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Duane Swierczynski
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain
Anyone play Table Top RPGs?

Post by Wodwulf Seaxaning »

Anyone play Table Top RPGs here?
Can you guess? I do.

If so, do you run campaigns or just play?
I ran a few back in the day & then was a player up till about two-to-two & a half years ago & I am a DM now mainly.

If you do both what are your favorite RPGS to run & your favorire RPGS to play in?
As a Player: RIFTS, Rolemaster 2, Changeling: The Lost & Buffy/Angel
As a GM: Rolemaster Express, Lamentations of the Flame Princess and Castles & Crusades

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012
Re: Anyone play Table Top RPGs?

Post by ShadowTuga »

I have a TON of D&D 3.5 stuff, everything from books, magazines (both Dungeon and Dragon), maps, hundreds of minis, etc, etc that I hope will be used someday. My friends are not that much into geek stuff, and I am not the most social guy, so going to stores looking for a group is a "no, thanks". I satisfy my needs for fantasy gaming in the form of gamebooks, specially Fighting Fantasy. I love these.

My gf is into this stuff a wee bit (she was the one who taught me how to play Magic) and I actually thought of running a solo campaign for her, but to this day it hasn't happened.

I'd love to DM "Age of Worms", and scare the *SQUEE* out of the players with a 6 inch Nazgul figure as the mini. :lol:
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Wodwulf Seaxaning wrote:Anyone play Table Top RPGs here?
Yep, for years and years now.
Wodwulf Seaxaning wrote:If so, do you run campaigns or just play?
I mostly end up running campaigns because there are too few others that can/will. I get a chance to just be a player once in a while, but never enough.
Wodwulf Seaxaning wrote:If you do both what are your favorite RPGS to run & your favorire RPGS to play in?
I started with D&D Basic with the red box set back in the 80's. I've kept playing D&D through every edition since, and 5E is my favorite of all editions for running or playing.
Over the years, I've played in and run several other RPG systems as well:
-Shadowrun (Love the setting/world, but hate the clunky and slow rules)
-Mutants & Masterminds (Love the Superhero gaming and ability to make ANYTHING with it's power system)
-Star Wars (Good RPG that felt like the older movies while playing)
-Stars Without Number (Old school, rules-lite, sci-fi RPG)
... and my latest/current non D&D favorite - Starfinder (Science Fantasy with magic, psionics, laser guns, and spaceships), which I'm currently running and playing in the adventure path modules. I'm GMing and running 2 characters, with my daughter and my oldest son being the other two players, each with 2 characters. It's been great fun and is currently my most looked forward to gaming group.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

I used to play quite regularly as a teen & into my 20's, but have not done so in a very long time now. My gaming group from back then is still active, but I don't live in my hometown anymore.

Used to love playing D&D, Rifts, Robotech, & Shadowrun primarily.

My old friend who was consistently our DM was really good at creating his own house rules for any system, and in fact we used to also play out a few games he invented entirely himself as well. The top highlight memories for me as a player were getting to play a Robotech Master clone Bioroid pilot who broke free of the Masters, playing my own version of Grendel as a cyborg mercenary in Shadowrun, and also a character that was based on Eric Draven from The Crow in Shadowrun - all of these were possible [and more balanced than you would think] because of my buddy's house rule creations.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wodwulf Seaxaning

ShadowTuga wrote:I have a TON of D&D 3.5 stuff, everything from books, magazines (both Dungeon and Dragon), maps, hundreds of minis, etc, etc that I hope will be used someday. My friends are not that much into geek stuff, and I am not the most social guy, so going to stores looking for a group is a "no, thanks". I satisfy my needs for fantasy gaming in the form of gamebooks, specially Fighting Fantasy. I love these.

My gf is into this stuff a wee bit (she was the one who taught me how to play Magic) and I actually thought of running a solo campaign for her, but to this day it hasn't happened.

I'd love to DM "Age of Worms", and scare the *SQUEE* out of the players with a 6 inch Nazgul figure as the mini. :lol:
I also have a ton of D&D stuff, but I got rid of my 5e D&D stuff, I didn't care for it & I am not a fan of 3.5 but I'll play both. That sucks that you don't have people to play with. I too am not very sociable & my recent group imploded. Most of the group love 5e D&D but another player & I don't care for it. Since I wouldn't run 5e they other guys dropped out. I am supposed to run a RMX game for another group but I am in a funk & haven't been able to get into prepping it; it doesn't help the others haven't posted replies in out group on my last post, they may have decided they are not interested after all. I'll find out soon.

Wodwulf Seaxaning

Phoenix8008 wrote:
Wodwulf Seaxaning wrote:Anyone play Table Top RPGs here?
Yep, for years and years now.
Wodwulf Seaxaning wrote:If so, do you run campaigns or just play?
I mostly end up running campaigns because there are too few others that can/will. I get a chance to just be a player once in a while, but never enough.
Wodwulf Seaxaning wrote:If you do both what are your favorite RPGS to run & your favorire RPGS to play in?
I started with D&D Basic with the red box set back in the 80's. I've kept playing D&D through every edition since, and 5E is my favorite of all editions for running or playing. I liked 5e D&D at first but got rid of my books, I'd rather run Rolemaster Express or Lamentations of the Flame Princess for my fantasy campaigns.
Over the years, I've played in and run several other RPG systems as well:
-Shadowrun (Love the setting/world, but hate the clunky and slow rules) Same here.
-Mutants & Masterminds (Love the Superhero gaming and ability to make ANYTHING with it's power system) Never played it.
-Star Wars (Good RPG that felt like the older movies while playing) Which edition?
-Stars Without Number (Old school, rules-lite, sci-fi RPG) This one really looks good.
... and my latest/current non D&D favorite - Starfinder (Science Fantasy with magic, psionics, laser guns, and spaceships), which I'm currently running and playing in the adventure path modules. I'm GMing and running 2 characters, with my daughter and my oldest son being the other two players, each with 2 characters. It's been great fun and is currently my most looked forward to gaming group.
I'm not into the Starfinder/Pathfinder rules, I might be willing to try it as a player but I'd never run it.

Wodwulf Seaxaning

grendeljd wrote:I used to play quite regularly as a teen & into my 20's, but have not done so in a very long time now. My gaming group from back then is still active, but I don't live in my hometown anymore.

Used to love playing D&D, Rifts, Robotech, & Shadowrun primarily. RIFTS & Robotech for the win. Did you prefer the original Robotech RPG or Palladium's reboot?

My old friend who was consistently our DM was really good at creating his own house rules for any system, and in fact we used to also play out a few games he invented entirely himself as well. The top highlight memories for me as a player were getting to play a Robotech Master clone Bioroid pilot who broke free of the Masters, playing my own version of Grendel as a cyborg mercenary in Shadowrun, and also a character that was based on Eric Draven from The Crow in Shadowrun - all of these were possible [and more balanced than you would think] because of my buddy's house rule creations.
Sounds like those campaigns were really cool Grendel.

grendeljd
Valiant fan since: 1991
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Wodwulf Seaxaning wrote:
grendeljd wrote:I used to play quite regularly as a teen & into my 20's, but have not done so in a very long time now. My gaming group from back then is still active, but I don't live in my hometown anymore.

Used to love playing D&D, Rifts, Robotech, & Shadowrun primarily. RIFTS & Robotech for the win. Did you prefer the original Robotech RPG or Palladium's reboot?

Sounds like those campaigns were really cool Grendel.
Yeah dude, they were fun times & good memories for sure! We used the 1st Palladium rules system from the mid-late 80's era. Are you referring to the RPG Tactics game they put out as a reboot? I'm not familiar with a Robotech RPG system that predates the early Paladium one.

My bioroid pilot was a ton of fun to play - the setting was on earth, a few years or so after the Invid had been defeated. Lots of global instability & unrest, with pockets of Zentradi, Invid & the Masters survivors here & there adding to regular human territories vying for a re-establishment of central government & power. All of our characters were part of a global mercenary's guild that could get involved in nearly anything for the right price.

It allowed for a good excuse to have players be whatever kind of mech/tech pilot they wanted, and it was even open to any alien race classes, all from extra rules my friend had written, which allowed for me to be a Masters clone. I had picked the name Remus for him, not realizing that it was from a Roman myth. That turned out to perfectly suit a Robotech Masters clone, as theirs design is very much inspired by Greco-roman roots. So my DM came up with a storyline where my two clone brothers, Romulus & Regulus (always a triumvirate!) hunted me down to bring me back to the remains of a Masters society in a crashed spacecraft. Great fun. That character eventually became a war hero, established himself as the head of a small countries army & married an Invid princess (one of those humanoid Invids just like in the series).
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;