Magnus and Solar at Comic-con * report

The "Gold Key Three" from publications outside of the Valiant universe.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Crow331
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Magnus and Solar at Comic-con * report

Post by Crow331 »

So here is my brief report from comic-con. I went to the Dark Horse panel but was somewhat disappointed as Jim Shooter wasn't there and they only briefly mentioned the titles. The whole mention was maybe 30 seconds. I was obviously expecting and hoping for more. They did have a few giveaways at the Dark Horse booth, but by the time I heard about them, they were gone. There was a yellow bag and the pins that someone else mentioned. They did have a few banners and posters up at the Dark Horse booth.

I met the new artist of Solar, Roger Robinson over in artist alley. He was pretty nice and I talked with him for about 20 minutes. He didn't have any pages for sale because he wasn't sure if he could put them up for sale before the issue actually comes out. He was doing sketches however, one of them was below. He also had one of his splashes to issue 2 on display.He told me that it was different working for Shooter but it was a good experience. He said Jim liked to do traditional type layouts and was specific about what he wanted. No art that bleeds out of the panels. Panels mostly the same size etc. He said Jim was real helpful and he said it's been a good experience so far.

I swung by the ONLY THE VALIANT headquarters a few times to say HI but didn't see anyone.

That's about it. There is also a photo of me below taking in a beverage at Lou and Mickey's and I represented the old Valiant days by wearing my Shadowman t-shirt the first day

:thumb:

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

Thanks for the report. I like the sketch, it's beautiful and a good pose. Sounds from your talk like he understands the needs of the story. I like that yellow bag as well.

/Magnus

terreth
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.

Post by terreth »

Thanks for sharing.

Cool to see and hear about this.

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Nice pics, kinda surprising that Jim wasn't there.

iggy101us
I bought my first comics at Kwik-E-Mart
I bought my first comics at Kwik-E-Mart

Post by iggy101us »

Very nice. :thumb:

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

Sorry we missed you! We were only in the lounge area during our recording session on Friday, it wasn't a "headquarters" during the convention.

I noticed that Dark Horse was pushing the GK books a bit during the con - the con exclusive cover, lots of stuff at their booth, and Doctor Solar on the cover of their freebie book that they gave out at their booth.

I talked to Dennis Callero briefly, he said that the reason he left was that a different opportunity came up that he wanted to work on. He couldn't give details, because he said the deal was still in progress, but that he would be working with David Lapham on his new thing.

He was also heavily pimping out his new webcomic series, "The Devil Inside":
http://www.toddstashwick.com/comic.asp

He had some interest in coming on OTV, so there may be an interview with him in the near future. Interestingly, I picked up X-Men Noir, which he did the art for, and thought his work was really good on that. The X-Men Noir book made me like his art in general, I think he is capable of doing much better than he did on Doctor Solar.

I also talked to Raymond Swanland for a bit, the guy who is doing the Magnus and Turok covers. He'll be doing more, he said he has Magnus 3 and Turok 2 covers complete (he didn't have samples though).

He works completely digitally, so there aren't any original art pieces to show, just a digital file. He said that it seems he will continue to do the covers, the only reason he might not is if he falls behind. I can't remember if he said he does 40 or 80 covers a year (including his work on books), so he is very busy.

When I bought my Doctor Solar 1 convention variants, the shop I bought them from said that it was the most popular of the three Diamond exclusive covers, Walking Dead and Captain America being the others. Most places were selling them for $5, way too much. I found a place that was selling them for cover price plus tax, and bought a couple.

OmenSpirits.com

Post by OmenSpirits.com »

When you mention, "He told me that it was different working for Shooter but it was a good experience. He said Jim liked to do traditional type layouts and was specific about what he wanted. No art that bleeds out of the panels. Panels mostly the same size etc. He said Jim was real helpful and he said it's been a good experience so far."

It reminded me when I spoke to mike chen (then admissions guy at joe kubert school in dover, nj) many moons ago, and asked about working with shooter.

He was PC about it, but I got the impression that jim could be abit of a pr*ck in his ways. Not his words, just the indicators one gets when asking about Shooter to a colleague. :hm:

wholly heck, they invested in a real artist for solar?

Life just got better! :thumb:

Crow331

Post by Crow331 »

Yeah, I was only kidding about the "headquarters". I wasn't sure when you guys were doing the podcast so when I was in the area I just swung by to see if anyone was there.

No big deal :thumb:

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

great pics, thanks for sharing :thumb:

that's an awesome Solar sketch! Glad that he's willing to work within Jim's stringent rules. It's tough for some artists to take but I think it helps their storytelling down the road (e.g. David Lapham, JG Jones, etc.)

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

robb77
nice one
nice one

Post by robb77 »

nice :thumb:

Todd Luck
Doomed to forever roam the black halls
Doomed to forever roam the black halls

Post by Todd Luck »

Dr. Solar wrote: He couldn't give details, because he said the deal was still in progress, but that he would be working with David Lapham on his new thing.
Interesting. Lapham must have multiple projects going for Dark Horse. Guzman is listed as the artist on his new Kull minseries. I'm sure Callero is a good artist on a good day (which Solar wasn't unforunately) but I wouldn't want to see the style on Kull. Be interesting to see Lapham and Guzman's take on Kull.