Occultist being released November 9th.

The "Gold Key Three" from publications outside of the Valiant universe.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Will you buy the Occultist when it is released?

Yes. It and the variant cover. No questions.
14%
Yes, absolutely.
9%
I will wait and will if the variant cover has the Gold Key bar.
No votes
I will buy it when it reaches the quarter bin/resales.
23%
Perhaps...
18%
Nope. I'm done.
36%

Total votes: 22

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody
Occultist being released November 9th.

Post by kevinbastos »

Been checking the Dark Horse site - and the announcements have changed the upcoming releases on the new Occultist book. Where are you standing for next week?
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
Re: Occultist being released November 9th.

Post by StarBrand »

I'll pick it up, out of loyalty to the Gold Key characters and the fact if they put out new producwith those characters this ties into that line.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

Draco
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Valiant fan since: preordered vh1 from start
Favorite character: X-O from vh1
Favorite title: X-O vh1
Favorite writer: Good question?
Favorite artist: ooooh another good question

Post by Draco »

I just cannot show any loyalty towards any characters in this way. Dark Horse have not produced the good it seems and so from day one of average or not so good reviews i was out.
Also as the GK characters were only really of any interest to me when they were part of the Valiant universe. Overall it was the VU as a whole that i enjoyed, not just the GK characters, even if they were the basis for the start of the VU back in the day.
A part of me thought it would be cool to see Shooter build another universe around the GK characters, but it was doomed to failure in the current stagnant comic world from day one. If we lived in times where comics were big news and another 100,000 readers could suddenly jump on board who were predominantly Marvel or DC then sure, sales figures would mean more growth for the line and DH would have happily supported it, but with prints runs being the joke they are on smaller publishers, there is simply no money and no future, no matter how we look at it.
So the Occultist is not on my radar one bit no matter how strong or tenuous the links to the GK3, the old GK, or Valiant.

:thumb:
I trade as Dead Universe Comics in the UK, which is no surprise to those who know of my legendary Dead Universe habit.
140 boxes and counting !!!

Follow us on facebook :)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dead-Uni ... 1695270458" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Draco
Valiant fan since: preordered vh1 from start
Favorite character: X-O from vh1
Favorite title: X-O vh1
Favorite writer: Good question?
Favorite artist: ooooh another good question

Post by Draco »

Oh yeah quarter bins for sure. Ill buy pretty much any book of average quality for 25c any day of the week, but $3.50, nah :/
I trade as Dead Universe Comics in the UK, which is no surprise to those who know of my legendary Dead Universe habit.
140 boxes and counting !!!

Follow us on facebook :)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dead-Uni ... 1695270458" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Draco wrote:Oh yeah quarter bins for sure. Ill buy pretty much any book of average quality for 25c any day of the week, but $3.50, nah :/
Same here.

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

Daniel Jackson wrote:
Draco wrote:Oh yeah quarter bins for sure. Ill buy pretty much any book of average quality for 25c any day of the week, but $3.50, nah :/
Same here.
meh
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I've changed my mind. I won't be picking this up. It's a reprint of the original Occultist 1. It's like they're killing a corpse with this line. :lol:

kevinbastos

Post by kevinbastos »

StarBrand wrote:I've changed my mind. I won't be picking this up. It's a reprint of the original Occultist 1. It's like they're killing a corpse with this line. :lol:
So now, as a stupid completist I'll have four different copies of the same comic. What is this, X-Force 1? Do people not have quarter bins or the internet? This is the same kinda crap that killed me as a collector the first time around.
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In addition, I'm right.

BruceReville
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it

Post by BruceReville »

kevinbastos wrote:
StarBrand wrote:I've changed my mind. I won't be picking this up. It's a reprint of the original Occultist 1. It's like they're killing a corpse with this line. :lol:
So now, as a stupid completist I'll have four different copies of the same comic. What is this, X-Force 1? Do people not have quarter bins or the internet? This is the same kinda crap that killed me as a collector the first time around.
Ok - How in the H#LL are they calling this a 25th Anniversary Issue?

http://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/19-230/ ... iant-cover

Everybody Is Right Until Someone Else Disagrees.

kevinbastos

Post by kevinbastos »

BruceReville wrote:
kevinbastos wrote:

It's DARK HORSE's 25th anniversary. Twenty-five years of never making it to issue nine! Hooray!

For example: http://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/18-733/ ... sary-cover" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And a Website!

In addition, I'm right.

BruceReville

Post by BruceReville »

kevinbastos wrote:
BruceReville wrote:
kevinbastos wrote:

It's DARK HORSE's 25th anniversary. Twenty-five years of never making it to issue nine! Hooray!
Ok - so if they are releasing this as a 25th Anniversary cover - are they relesaing all their #1 titles as 25th Anniversary covers? I mean really in the whole of Dark Horse releases I don't see how THIS particular book garners a 25th Anniversasry cover. :?

kevinbastos

Post by kevinbastos »

BruceReville wrote:
kevinbastos wrote:
BruceReville wrote:
kevinbastos wrote:

Ok - so if they are releasing this as a 25th Anniversary cover - are they relesaing all their #1 titles as 25th Anniversary covers? I mean really in the whole of Dark Horse releases I don't see how THIS particular book garners a 25th Anniversasry cover. :?
It's to recuperate all of the losses from not marketing well. I don't care WHO says variant covers are good ideas. They serve to alienate consumers. Especially collectors.
And a Website!

In addition, I'm right.

comicsyte95
It's Porktastic!!!
It's Porktastic!!!

Post by comicsyte95 »

Daniel Jackson wrote:
Same here.
Same as well,i dont see me buying it at full price but in a quarter bin i would buy it.
If I just can't be me ,and the Arrow isn't enough.. then maybe I should be Ra's al Ghul

vikingspawn
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by vikingspawn »

kevinbastos wrote:
BruceReville wrote:
kevinbastos wrote:

For example: http://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/18-733/ ... sary-cover" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I like this anniversary variant the most...with the giant "25" under a Star Destroyer:

http://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/18-763/ ... iant-cover" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

vikingspawn

Post by vikingspawn »

Cover process commentary:

http://www.darkhorse.com/Blog/708/occut ... cott-allie" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

vikingspawn wrote:Cover process commentary:

http://www.darkhorse.com/Blog/708/occut ... cott-allie" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Very cool!

Second_Death

Post by Second_Death »

Find it difficult to believe issue 1 in this mini is a reprint of the one-shot. It wouldn't be the first time I've seen DH incorrectly link the wrong preview to a page. Guess all will be revealed soon enough.

Either way, I'm passing on this mini-series until they become available for less $'s.

vikingspawn

Post by vikingspawn »

The synopsis on the site makes it sound like it's a continuation of the one-shot but those clickable preview pages are the same as last year's book. :o

I know I won't be buying this 25th anniversary variant for $9 like my shop would charge me on them.

I'll only pick it up if I get it for less than cover with a discount.

:popcorn:

BruceReville

Post by BruceReville »

vikingspawn wrote:The synopsis on the site makes it sound like it's a continuation of the one-shot but those clickable preview pages are the same as last year's book. :o

I know I won't be buying this 25th anniversary variant for $9 like my shop would charge me on them.

It's coming with a standard cover as well and the preview pages for it are the same as the one shot. After the way Dark Horse crapped all over the Dark Key titles it wouldn't surprise me that they would rerelease Issue #1 (after all it ended weirdly for a supposed one shot) and run it as a mini-series.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Second_Death wrote:Find it difficult to believe issue 1 in this mini is a reprint of the one-shot. It wouldn't be the first time I've seen DH incorrectly link the wrong preview to a page. Guess all will be revealed soon enough.
Good point. I guess we'll find out shortly.

vikingspawn

Post by vikingspawn »

BruceReville wrote:
vikingspawn wrote:The synopsis on the site makes it sound like it's a continuation of the one-shot but those clickable preview pages are the same as last year's book. :o

It's coming with a standard cover as well and the preview pages for it are the same as the one shot. After the way Dark Horse crapped all over the Dark Key titles it wouldn't surprise me that they would rerelease Issue #1 (after all it ended weirdly for a supposed one shot) and run it as a mini-series.
yea, I don't like one-shots that end in a cliffhanger that are "to be continued" until a year later. and then surprise! Here's a reprint!

vikingspawn

Post by vikingspawn »

I picked up a copy and it's definitely not a reprint. It's a continued story from the one-shot. I checked the letter column for news on Solar>Magnus and there was nothing.

There is a page of a short story that's done in the old Gold Key style with the art and word balloons though.

BruceReville

Post by BruceReville »

vikingspawn wrote:I picked up a copy and it's definitely not a reprint. It's a continued story from the one-shot. I checked the letter column for news on Solar>Magnus and there was nothing.

There is a page of a short story that's done in the old Gold Key style with the art and word balloons though.
Well that's good to hear.

kevinbastos

Post by kevinbastos »

Picked it up myself. Decent looking art. Will read tonight. LCS did NOT have the reprint. Ordered from ebay. Ugh. Such a sucker. :kidaround:

I just keep thinking, "If this is even LOWER, then THAT's a one in ten... I'll get this, Valiant will re-launch, be worth millions, I'll sell it for like $75,000... I'll be set, right? Wait. It's worth $3? Dang. Can't take that chance..."

Well on the way to hating, again.

Danged limited print runs...
And a Website!

In addition, I'm right.

vikingspawn

Post by vikingspawn »

The website finally updated the profile page with the actual new preview pages of the book:

http://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/Previews/19-230?page=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;