Solar: Woman of the Atom

The "Gold Key Three" from publications outside of the Valiant universe.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Solar: Woman of the Atom

Post by pixierosa »

In a very Dr. Mirage move, Dynamite has changed a traditional male character into a female. Cover artists include Valiant artists Juan Doe and Lupacchino.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/03/25/ ... o-issue-3/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

Jace
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clay Mann
Re: Solar: Woman of the Atom

Post by Jace »

Interesting. I read Turok #1 and thought it was HORRIBLE. I have Magnus #1 and have flipped through it, but not read it. It didn't look very good but maybe it will surprise me. I figured I would try Solar because he was one of my favorite heroes way back when and Dr Spektor because Mark Waid is the man. So I guess we will see. I just wish it was a different publisher, I don't care much for the way Dynamite does business, but I won't punish myself for their mistakes by denying myself good comics.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Phil is an odd name for a woman. I guess that press release (or whatever it was) was incorrect.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

MarkRoseHFX
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

:?

What about the covers they have for #1?
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by pixierosa »

sonicdan's theory is that as part of the storyline, Solar splits his persona and one is a female.
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

Jace
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Jace »

Didn't the cover that Ed posted by Bob Layton have a male and female Dr Solar?

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

I don't care if Solar is male or female. I just don't like lame plot lines. This sounds lame.

Jace
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Jace »

No I guess the one Ed got was a BWS insipired cover but not the one with both male and female Dr's but you can see both covers here

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/03/19/ ... -dynamite/
Last edited by Jace on Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:23:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dornwolf
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by dornwolf »

pixierosa wrote:sonicdan's theory is that as part of the storyline, Solar splits his persona and one is a female.
a person would think as all the story information up till now has been marketed as a male character. It doesn't make sense to swerve suddenly and make Solar a woman. Unless Dynamite is really pulling a Valiant, killing of Male Solar and going Female the rest of the way ala a weird Rai send up.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

pixierosa wrote:sonicdan's theory is that as part of the storyline, Solar splits his persona and one is a female.
How very Infinity Crusade of them. :hm:

mateo107
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Obadiah Archer
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite artist: Doug Braithwaite

Post by mateo107 »

MarkRoseHFX wrote::?

What about the covers they have for #1?
I don't think the female Solar starts until issue 3, from the June solicit:

A BOLD NEW STEP FOR THE GOLD KEY UNIVERSE! Solar is reborn! But who bears the mantle and what will become of the original Doctor Solar? Can this new player stop the extraterrestrial threat that looms over earth, and not destroy herself in the process? Cosmic-fueled chaos comes from FRANK BARBIERE (Five Ghosts) and JOE BENNETT (Iron Man)!

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

pixierosa wrote:In a very Dr. Mirage move, Dynamite has changed a traditional male character into a female. Cover artists include Valiant artists Juan Doe and Lupacchino.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/03/25/ ... o-issue-3/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dr. Miarge move? DC did it with the Question a few years ago; Marvel did it with White Tiger a few years ago. VEI were not the first to switch gender for a character. :wink:
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

leonmallett wrote:
pixierosa wrote:In a very Dr. Mirage move, Dynamite has changed a traditional male character into a female. Cover artists include Valiant artists Juan Doe and Lupacchino.

Dr. Miarge move? DC did it with the Question a few years ago; Marvel did it with White Tiger a few years ago. VEI were not the first to switch gender for a character. :wink:
DC did it with Doctor Light years before Marvel did with White Tiger.

leonmallett
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

Chiclo wrote:
leonmallett wrote:

Good point, cheers for the reminder. :thumb:

Underscores that it is not an idea exclusive to VEI, and as much as DE have 'stolen/borrowed' the concept from VEI, VEI are reusing something others have done, so to suggest DE have used VEI's move, first we must admonish VEI.... :wink:
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

iwantvaliant
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by iwantvaliant »

Chiclo wrote:
leonmallett wrote:

Wouldn't Batgirl and Supergirl be the first examples of this?
My podcast reviews the Valiant trades: http://vepodcast.wordpress.com/
And my timeline on the original Valiant Universe: http://valiantfans.com/vctimeline/

Heath
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

If they were using Phil Seleski, which we're all pretty sure VEI owns, maybe the change is the result of a "cease and desist" order? If they have to kill off Phil and use a different character, why not really make it different and go with a female?
I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Heath wrote:If they were using Phil Seleski, which we're all pretty sure VEI owns, maybe the change is the result of a "cease and desist" order? If they have to kill off Phil and use a different character, why not really make it different and go with a female?

I was wondering the same. Seems the most likely to me.

jedimarley
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.

Post by jedimarley »

In answer to your question, Valiant never owned the characters. We merely licensed them from the owners of the property during that time period. Everything that was created within the pages of the Gold Key licenses (Magnus, Solar and Turok) became the property of the guys "holding the pink slip". The rights have changed hands a couple of times since the Valiant days, but the license holders are well within their rights to call Solar "Phil Selenski" or anything they wish.

As per Bob Laytons Facebook Page last week.

Heath
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

Interesting. Doesn't that contradict what others from the old Valiant days have said? Or was Voyager/Acclaim/VEI owning their "Gold Key related" creations like Phil Seleski just an assumption to begin with? And where is the line drawn? What Mothergod? Geoff McHenry? Tekla? Couldn't RAI be considered "created within the pages of the Gold Key licenses?"
I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

AnthonyF
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: TOYO HARADA
Favorite title: HARBINGER

Post by AnthonyF »

jedimarley wrote:In answer to your question, Valiant never owned the characters. We merely licensed them from the owners of the property during that time period. Everything that was created within the pages of the Gold Key licenses (Magnus, Solar and Turok) became the property of the guys "holding the pink slip". The rights have changed hands a couple of times since the Valiant days, but the license holders are well within their rights to call Solar "Phil Selenski" or anything they wish.

As per Bob Laytons Facebook Page last week.

That can't be accurate, because Toyo Harada and the Harbinger foundation was introduced through Solar, and VEI is using them. :hm:

AnthonyF
Favorite character: TOYO HARADA
Favorite title: HARBINGER

Post by AnthonyF »

Heath wrote:Interesting. Doesn't that contradict what others from the old Valiant days have said? Or was Voyager/Acclaim/VEI owning their "Gold Key related" creations like Phil Seleski just an assumption to begin with? And where is the line drawn? What Mothergod? Geoff McHenry? Tekla? Couldn't RAI be considered "created within the pages of the Gold Key licenses?"
I wonder, especially about Mothergod/Erica.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

My thought is that VEI would have a really good case that they wholly own any IP that was originally created in a Valiant book, even the Magnus, Solar, and Turok books. Otherwise, as has been pointed out before, Harada, Rai, and a large number of characters would belong to the Gold Key owners. I think VEI would have a great case to keep Phil Seleski as their creation as he really had nothing to do with the Gold Key property other than name himself and take on the likeness of the Gold Key character - take away those and you have a completely original character.

I think VEI aren't pursuing a legal battle in this particular case because they have no plans of using Phil Seleski and cannot use Solar and a legal battle would be very costly. With almost no benefit from a legal victory, and a loss embolden in Dynamite to further whittle into the VEI library of Gold Key-related characters including Rai and Harada, they are steering clear of the issue. I think Dynamite was trying to lure them into a legal battle.

jedimarley
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.

Post by jedimarley »

On the subject of legal battles, kirkman is still using The Outcast as the title of his new book.

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)

Post by jeremycoe »

jedimarley wrote:On the subject of legal battles, kirkman is still using The Outcast as the title of his new book.
Technically they changed the title to "OUTCAST BY KIRKMAN & AZACETA", which is enough of a change to get around the laws in place. Something similar happened with the movie "The Butler" which was changed to "Lee Daniels' The Butler".
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

bamaphilosopher
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1, 1991
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart, Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Lupacchino, BWS, Lapham

Post by bamaphilosopher »

lorddunlow wrote:My thought is that VEI would have a really good case that they wholly own any IP that was originally created in a Valiant book, even the Magnus, Solar, and Turok books. Otherwise, as has been pointed out before, Harada, Rai, and a large number of characters would belong to the Gold Key owners. I think VEI would have a great case to keep Phil Seleski as their creation as he really had nothing to do with the Gold Key property other than name himself and take on the likeness of the Gold Key character - take away those and you have a completely original character.

I think VEI aren't pursuing a legal battle in this particular case because they have no plans of using Phil Seleski and cannot use Solar and a legal battle would be very costly. With almost no benefit from a legal victory, and a loss embolden in Dynamite to further whittle into the VEI library of Gold Key-related characters including Rai and Harada, they are steering clear of the issue. I think Dynamite was trying to lure them into a legal battle.
VERY interesting!

And I agree. I think Bob Layton is wrong, or else VEI couldn't use Rai, and of course, as mentioned above, Harada and some of the other characters.

This could create some problems down the road, with characters like Dr. Eclipse.

It seems logical to me that VEI would own characters introduced under the Valiant flagship.

I remember when ibooks had Magnus, and I wrote to the editor seeing if I could submit a story (which he didn't want me to do, he said he would not read unsolicited submissions), I asked if I could use anything from the Valiant line. He said their books would not touch anything Valiant did with the character.

Where there could really be an upcoming battle would be over Erica Pierce. It seems like that would be something VEI might choose to fight for. I agree they probably don't care about Phil Seleski and see no need to battle for him.

That said, I think it would behoove Dynamite simply to change the name. I thought it was lame for Dynamite to try to use his name when I saw the first solicitations. Have they changed the name now? Or are they still using Phil Seleski?
For my Valiant: Kindle Worlds stories, check out my amazon author central page, http://www.amazon.com/Richmond-West/e/B ... 204&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sort by price low to high, and the Valiant Kindle Worlds stories will pop to the top. :)