Magnus 12

The "Gold Key Three" from publications outside of the Valiant universe.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...
Magnus 12

Post by magnusr »

Maybe I should start by saying that the series actually tied up in a nice way.

But the one thing that stood out for me was a legal question. A detailed description requires spoiling the end of the series, but in short there is a quick use of a Valiant/Acclaim property.

Magnus' costume iterated back to the old Gold Key/Valiant costume (then on the last page it was the Dynamite costume again) as the ultimate Magnus emerged. Doing that it passed through the Acclaim costume for five pages.

I don't know if Random can grant licences for derived properties from their properties and maybe a quick homage is ok, still it surprised me a lot.

/Magnus

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)
Re: Magnus 12

Post by jeremycoe »

I read this over the weekend and thought it sort of limped to the finish. Especially the art. I've liked this series for the most part, these last few issues have felt really weak to me.
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

magnusr wrote:I don't know if Random can grant licences for derived properties from their properties and maybe a quick homage is ok, still it surprised me a lot.
From what I understand, it's one of those "both sides make a good argument" situations where Random House (Gold Key ownership) can make a good argument that everything derivative of Magnus is Magnus, and Valiant can make a good argument that new concepts Valiant created to enhance Magnus are new Valiant-created concepts.

Either way you look at it, Dynamite did nothing with Valiant or Gold Key... so they're just leeching off both.

Valiant would have to find enough potential benefit to offset the cost of making a big deal about it.

tarheelmarine
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Jim Calafiore

Post by tarheelmarine »

jeremycoe wrote:I read this over the weekend and thought it sort of limped to the finish. Especially the art. I've liked this series for the most part, these last few issues have felt really weak to me.
The series started strong, but I felt the same that last four issues did not feel coherent.

The Dirt Gang
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Unity #1
Favorite writer: Shooter/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by The Dirt Gang »

tarheelmarine wrote:
jeremycoe wrote:I read this over the weekend and thought it sort of limped to the finish. Especially the art. I've liked this series for the most part, these last few issues have felt really weak to me.
The series started strong, but I felt the same that last four issues did not feel coherent.
I just finished this series and totally agree. I would stay the art started getting rushed and sloppy earlier than the writing. The writing started surprisingly strong. I love the character of Magnus (perhaps my favorite character from VH1) and enjoyed Van Lente's writing on Archer and Armstrong, so thought I'd give this a shot.

I am now in what seems the majority opinion around here that Dynamite sucks and I won't take another chance on their products. It just seemed to me that around issue 8 the whole quality of the book went down.

Although, I will say the last page of issue 11? where the car goes off the cliff and it starts as a full color panel then goes to the same panel in pencil and then again the same panel in blue pencil looked pretty cool and worked well.
Multum In Parvo

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

Anything from dinomite (sucks) sucks wjy read it. Did you read Turok in Robin hood land. What a garbage story. It sucked so bad.
I Miss the good old days.

The Dirt Gang
Valiant fan since: VH1 Unity #1
Favorite writer: Shooter/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by The Dirt Gang »

nonplayer wrote:Anything from dinomite (sucks) sucks wjy read it. Did you read Turok in Robin hood land. What a garbage story. It sucked so bad.
I did not read Turok. It sounded really bad. Actually, I wasn't going to read any of them but I had heard some say that Magnus was pretty good and like I said I liked Fred Van Lendt's Valiant work. His writing here definitely felt a bit lazy in the later books and so overall I was left disappointed.
Multum In Parvo