The Original Gold Key Magnus, Dr. Solar and Turok

The "Gold Key Three" from publications outside of the Valiant universe.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.
The Original Gold Key Magnus, Dr. Solar and Turok

Post by FormerReader »

I have only read a copy or two of the original series. Is there anyone on these boards who has read all or most of the original stories? Are they any good? Could anyone tell me how hard it would be to collect a run in each series in mid to high grade? I have thought several times over the years about picking up nice copies of these books to collect and to read.

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...
Re: The Original Gold Key Magnus, Dr. Solar and Turok

Post by magnusr »

FormerReader wrote:I have only read a copy or two of the original series. Is there anyone on these boards who has read all or most of the original stories? Are they any good? Could anyone tell me how hard it would be to collect a run in each series in mid to high grade? I have thought several times over the years about picking up nice copies of these books to collect and to read.
I've read all Magnus, most Solar and many Turok and enjoyed them all. Magnus has a variety of intelligent (but oldfashionably charming) individual stories. Solar has a bit more light-hearted stories and Turok is a series of adventures while searching for a way out of the Lost Valley. If you like silver age style comics, they are all good. They can all be found if you're willing to pay or accept low grades. Turok is most difficult to complete simply because there are so many. Note that many of the Magnus issues are reprints of earlier issues. Dark Horse has reprinted most of the books which provides an easy way to get the stories, though the quality is not the best (for instance they mixed pages from original and reprinted Magnus issues giving inconsistent coloring).

/Magnus

omega_override
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2014

Post by omega_override »

I love the original Dell comics Turok a lot and it's a shame that it hasn't been reprinted like it's Gold Key counterpart

FormerReader

Post by FormerReader »

Thank you both for the response. I have thought about going back and collecting these books for years as I enjoyed the Valiant versions of them so much. I might start with getting the first few issues of each series and go from there. Were these versions similar to the Valiant characters or were there a lot of differences?

omega_override
Valiant fan since: 2014

Post by omega_override »

FormerReader wrote:Were these versions similar to the Valiant characters or were there a lot of differences?
All I've honestly read is Turok and yes, I can say without any doubt that the character is faithfully interpreted in his VH1 version

FormerReader

Post by FormerReader »

omega_override wrote:
FormerReader wrote:Were these versions similar to the Valiant characters or were there a lot of differences?
All I've honestly read is Turok and yes, I can say without any doubt that the character is faithfully interpreted in his VH1 version
:thumb:

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

As Omega said, Turok is the same, though the setting differs, which means that in the Gold Key adventures more fantastic things can happen. Roughly the same for Magnus. The Gold Key Magnus is the person he was before Steel Nation changed him. Dr Solar is a different character, appearing in comics that Phil Seleski read when he was young. He is not nearly as powerful as Valiant's Solar, but uses his powers in more imaginative ways.

/Magnus

FormerReader

Post by FormerReader »

magnusr wrote:
As Omega said, Turok is the same, though the setting differs, which means that in the Gold Key adventures more fantastic things can happen. Roughly the same for Magnus. The Gold Key Magnus is the person he was before Steel Nation changed him. Dr Solar is a different character, appearing in comics that Phil Seleski read when he was young. He is not nearly as powerful as Valiant's Solar, but uses his powers in more imaginative ways.

/Magnus
Thank you! I will let you guys know what I think once I've read them. I will probably pick up Magnus and Solar since there are fewer issues to track down. How many issues of Turok are there.

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

FormerReader wrote:How many issues of Turok are there.
This page answers it:
http://www.comicvine.com/turok-son-of-stone/4050-2101/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

/Magnus

FormerReader

Post by FormerReader »

magnusr wrote:
FormerReader wrote:How many issues of Turok are there.
This page answers it:
http://www.comicvine.com/turok-son-of-stone/4050-2101/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

/Magnus

Thank you very much. That should keep me busy for awhile.

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

If you are more interested in the story, I would recommend buying the Dark Horse re-prints that are collected in TPB or HC. That will save you a lot of money in the long run, rather than buying all the individual issues.

Good luck! :thumb:

Michael
Mkb28

FormerReader

Post by FormerReader »

mkb28 wrote:If you are more interested in the story, I would recommend buying the Dark Horse re-prints that are collected in TPB or HC. That will save you a lot of money in the long run, rather than buying all the individual issues.

Good luck! :thumb:

Michael
Mkb28

Thanks Michael. That is good advice, but I enjoy collecting and think I would enjoy the fun of tracking down some of the Gold Key issues. It will also make me get better at grading in the 5.0 to 7.5 range.

nscc
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite title: X-O/Harby/A+A/Unity
Favorite writer: Vditti/Dysart/FVL/Kindt
Favorite artist: soo many pretty pictures...

Post by nscc »

I had a bunch of Solar issues, but I sold them to IntrepidXtc awhile ago. I was about to post a link to his WTS thread but looks like someone else got them.. (maybe you). I do have a few of the Magnus and Turok ones (unless he got them too, I forget), I'll take a look this weekend.
Where are we going and why am I in this hand-basket?