When will Dynamit(e)'s Gold Key license expire?

The "Gold Key Three" from publications outside of the Valiant universe.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
When will Dynamit(e)'s Gold Key license expire?

Post by Ryan »

Isn't there a time limit for them to publish new material or the license will expire?

I kinda thought that was the reason they were pushing out those group books like Soveriegns.

It could be the case where Dyna is going to let them expire because the licenses cost money and the sales have been terrible on the most recent series with the new 'castings' (Magnus as female etc.)

I did flip through reads of some of them and they seemed like unreadable generic pretentious stories. Some of the art looked alright, but who wants to read these, is anybody asking for these re-castings? It seems like the comic industry is obsessed with this for some reason. Turok is an icon for Native people and has been in hundreds of comics, animation, successful video games, why would you make him some average black guy? It just makes no sense.

I'll be happy if and when these characters get far away from Dynamite. Not sure how or when these characters will emerge again, but better to let them rest than have Dynamite continue these abominations. Even the first series they did with the GK heroes kind of looking like the classic iterations were just bait and switch generic half-baked stories that used the characters in name only.

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
Re: When will Dynamit(e)'s Gold Key license expire?

Post by BugsySig »

Ryan wrote:Isn't there a time limit for them to publish new material or the license will expire?

I kinda thought that was the reason they were pushing out those group books like Soveriegns.

It could be the case where Dyna is going to let them expire because the licenses cost money and the sales have been terrible on the most recent series with the new 'castings' (Magnus as female etc.)

I did flip through reads of some of them and they seemed like unreadable generic pretentious stories. Some of the art looked alright, but who wants to read these, is anybody asking for these re-castings? It seems like the comic industry is obsessed with this for some reason. Turok is an icon for Native people and has been in hundreds of comics, animation, successful video games, why would you make him some average black guy? It just makes no sense.

I'll be happy if and when these characters get far away from Dynamite (sucks!). Not sure how or when these characters will emerge again, but better to let them rest than have Dynamite (sucks!) continue these abominations. Even the first series they did with the GK heroes kind of looking like the classic iterations were just bait and switch generic half-baked stories that used the characters in name only.
Usually that's how it works. Hard to say what that period of time is before a license lapses or when it expires completely without inside knowledge. Either way, I doubt DMG would be interested because they wouldn't profit from any non-publishing media like TV or Films.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

I guess its probably not necessary at this point, but it actually would be pretty easy to work those characters into the current universe. Might make for a damn good summer event.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

BugsySig wrote: Usually that's how it works. Hard to say what that period of time is before a license lapses or when it expires completely without inside knowledge. Either way, I doubt DMG would be interested because they wouldn't profit from any non-publishing media like TV or Films.
Good point. I think Dino was always for it because he was a big fan, but it doesn't seem like it would be worth the hassle for DMG and might take some spotlight off of the characters they own.
depluto wrote:I guess its probably not necessary at this point, but it actually would be pretty easy to work those characters into the current universe. Might make for a damn good summer event.
That would the kind of soft reboot I could get behind. No need to throw out the continuity, but have an event where the GK3 come back and then streamline/relaunch all the main books as ongoings:
Solar
Magnus
Turok
X-O
Bloodshot
Harbinger
Shadowman
a few months later add Ninjak, Geomancer, etc.

That would sell like gangbusters if done right. But for the reasons above and others I'm sure this is just a pipe dream.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

The introduction of the Red Brigade into the Valiant Universe is an example of how the current storytelling model could introduce (and keep) any character. The Fall of Harbinger gives a multiverse where "other Valiant universes" could be equally valid, with other characters, as needed.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

greg wrote:The introduction of the Red Brigade into the Valiant Universe is an example of how the current storytelling model could introduce (and keep) any character. The Fall of Harbinger gives a multiverse where "other Valiant universes" could be equally valid, with other characters, as needed.
:hm:

Alpha & Omega 2, where Solar 'accidentally' creates another black hole and destroys another universe (starts with Dyna, oops), only he and a few others survive the trip into a 'new' universe looking for a home. Call it Unity Wars :lol:

BugsySig
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Ryan wrote:
greg wrote:The introduction of the Red Brigade into the Valiant Universe is an example of how the current storytelling model could introduce (and keep) any character. The Fall of Harbinger gives a multiverse where "other Valiant universes" could be equally valid, with other characters, as needed.

Alpha & Omega 2, where Solar 'accidentally' creates another black hole and destroys another universe (starts with Dyna, oops), only he and a few others survive the trip into a 'new' universe looking for a home. Call it Unity Wars :lol:
Just for the sake of fun, it would be a way to bring Flamingo back. You could also have Magnus as the son of VH1 Kris and Torque...who’s alive in the VEI universe and VERY different.

Can Solar and Divinity Co-exist? Can their powers/origins somehow be connected? Could they pull a Deathmate?

Magnus fits well with War Mother, Rai and 4002, and could lead a new Future Force/Secret Weapons/etc. Malev War?

Turok and Savage are a bit superfluous, but put them both in the Faraway/Savage Land and can Savage be Turok’s new protégée?

Could we get Geoff McHenry back? Buck McHenry? Any McHenry?!? (I miss Kay in case anyone was wondering).
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Ryan wrote:

Call it the Chaos Effect.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Chiclo wrote:
Ryan wrote:

I totally forgot about what happenend in the Chaos Effect, even though I've read them all. Couldn't even find a synopsis online

The Dirt Gang
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Unity #1
Favorite writer: Shooter/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by The Dirt Gang »

Chiclo wrote:
Ryan wrote:

:funnypost:

That would be spot on.
Multum In Parvo

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

It's quite UNIMAGINABLE they're trying to bring back Solar and the GK3. They're just *SQUEE* with us!

Oxmyx
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith

Post by Oxmyx »

The Dirt Gang wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:22:48 pm
Chiclo wrote:
Ryan wrote:

:funnypost:

That would be spot on.
This is a book I'd actually want to read. Thanks for giving me something fun, guys. This board is, for the moment ( ?), more fun than what actually gets published.

That's pretty backwards. Hey, DMG, you listening? Yeah I'm talking to you.
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

depluto wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:37:00 pm Might make for a damn good summer event.
You saw the teaser ad in the back of the FCBD day book, last month, right? The black hole like swirl with the words THE UNIVERSE IS NOT ABSOLUTE with definite reference back to the classic Unity event?

We don't know what's up, and I agree with people this whole idea is very very unlikely to happen, publisher-wise, but damn it's fun to be teased.

But as an aside ive posted and discussed about Mothergod being available to Valiant as an IP and was willing to just accept Mothergod was too 'entagled' with Solar (to borrow Dr Tomorrow's words) but then I learned about a VEI Izak in VEI Rai and I now think Mothergod is back on the table as possibly available. (which certainly doesn't mean she's going to reappear) (my logic being that VH1 Izak appearing in VH1 Magnus is basically as entangled as Mothergod)
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

greg
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

According to Rich Johnston yesterday (Oct. 5, 2020) at BleedingCool:

"Dynamite no longer has the publishing rights to Solar Man Of The Atom, or Magnus Robot Fighter for that matter."

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/valiant ... nts-today/

Sunlight on Snow

greg wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:59:26 am According to Rich Johnston yesterday (Oct. 5, 2020) at BleedingCool:

"Dynamite no longer has the publishing rights to Solar Man Of The Atom, or Magnus Robot Fighter for that matter."

The graffiti teasers are clearly for the new Harbinger series.

But the one from the FCBD issue might have something to do with Solar.

Of course, we'd all love to see him wearing a blue suit again. :twisted: facepalm

Sunlight on Snow

Sunlight on Snow wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:04:44 am Of course, we'd all love to see him wearing a blue suit again. :twisted: facepalm
Oh, I think, I just confused him with X-O Manowar's appearance in Hell on Earth.

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

greg wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:59:26 am "Dynamite no longer has the publishing rights to Solar Man Of The Atom, or Magnus Robot Fighter for that matter."
Don't know if anyone else than Valiant could manage to make them justice. Hoping for the best next time they are published.

/Magnus

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

magnusr wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:14:07 am
greg wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:59:26 am "Dynamite no longer has the publishing rights to Solar Man Of The Atom, or Magnus Robot Fighter for that matter."
Don't know if anyone else than Valiant could manage to make them justice. Hoping for the best next time they are published.

/Magnus
+100

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

greg wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:59:26 am According to Rich Johnston yesterday (Oct. 5, 2020) at BleedingCool:

Good to know, kind of expected as it's now been a couple years I think since the last reboot attempt. Dynamite at least seemed to have the tenacity to keep throwing crap at a wall to try to get these characters to stick, it just didn't seem like they had any real idea on how to do it. In the end they only succeeded in muddling these characters (aka brands) with multiple incompatible and incoherent reboots and crossovers as well as bushels of variant covers and not a memorable story to be seen. I give them 2/10 on the reboot scale, only a notch better than ibooks Magnus. As someone who collects the GK3, I stopped bothering picking these up after a few Magnus and Turok issues. :?
magnusr wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:14:07 am Don't know if anyone else than Valiant could manage to make them justice. Hoping for the best next time they are published.

/Magnus
Do you mean the current Valiant or 1991? It's interesting to think about them joining the current Valiant universe, but personally I doubt it would be any good. They don't seem too interested in building a cohesive action-adventure universe, and overall quality in DMG era has been poor to almost average in my opinion. I think they would do about the same thing Dynamite did, bring in mid-tier writers who have heard of the characters and they'll shoehorn in some leftover idea they had for something else and has very little do with the GK versions.

I'll always hold out hope but it's hard for me to see modern comics doing a good version of these characters. But then again these days I'd much rather read comics from the 60's than the current stuff so maybe I'm just out of touch. :lol:

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

Ryan wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:42:49 pmDo you mean the current Valiant or 1991?
Based my statement on the 1991 comics. Don't dare to speculate about whether current Valiant once again can find the same magic.

/Magnus

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

magnusr wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:42:40 am
Based my statement on the 1991 comics. Don't dare to speculate about whether current Valiant once again can find the same magic.

/Magnus
:thumb: Mr. Shooter seemed to have a true respect and maybe even reverence for the Russ Manning Magnus, as well as a lot of experience writing the future DC universe in Legion. Made for some great comics.

A while back I found an interesting breakdown of the different Magnus 'eras' with reviews and discussion here: https://classiccomics.boards.net/thread ... ws-shaxper
The Magnus Robot Fighter Eras reviewed include:

- Gold Key/Russ Manning Era (Grade: A++)
- Gold Key/Post Russ Manning Era (Grade: B-)
- Whitman: The Era that Almost Was (Grade: A)
- Valiant/Jim Shooter Era (Grade: B+)
- Valiant/Post Jim Shooter Era (Grade: B+)
- Valiant/Malev War Era (Grade: B+)
- Valiant/Terran Consortium Era (Grade: A-)
- Valiant/Keith Giffen Era (Grade: C+)
- Acclaim/Tom Peyer Reboot (Grade: B-)
- Acclaim/Unity 2000 Era (Grade: C)
- ibooks/Louise Simonson Reboot (Grade C+)
- Dark Horse/Jim Shooter Reboot (Grade A-)
- Dynamite/Fred Van Lente Reboot (Grade D+)
- Dynamite/Gold Key Alliance Reboot (Grade C+)
- Dynamite/The Sovereigns (Grade B)
- Dynamite/Kyle Higgins Reboot (Grade C+)

For the purposes of this thread, an "Era" is a range of comics, sharing a basic premise, that still exists in the same universe as the original Russ Manning stories, whereas a "Reboot" pays homage to the original stories but does not exist in the same universe as them.

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

Ryan wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:11:26 pmA while back I found an interesting breakdown of the different Magnus 'eras' with reviews and discussion here: https://classiccomics.boards.net/thread ... ws-shaxper
Great read.

/Magnus

Sunlight on Snow

magnusr wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:29:56 am
Ryan wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:11:26 pmA while back I found an interesting breakdown of the different Magnus 'eras' with reviews and discussion here: https://classiccomics.boards.net/thread ... ws-shaxper
Great read.
Yes, great summaries. Too bad the link to the city/region breakdown isn't working anymore.

I'd personally give the Malev War Era an A+ because it features my favorite of all Rai, Takao Konishi, and the Future Force.

Oxmyx

Post by Oxmyx »

Ryan wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:11:26 pm
magnusr wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:42:40 am
Don't dare to speculate about whether current Valiant once again can find the same magic.

/Magnus
:thumb: Mr. Shooter seemed to have a true respect...Made for some great comics.

A while back I found an interesting breakdown of the different Magnus 'eras' with reviews and discussion here: https://classiccomics.boards.net/thread ... ws-shaxper
The Magnus Robot Fighter Eras reviewed include:

- Gold Key/Russ Manning Era (Grade: A++)
- Gold Key/Post Russ Manning Era (Grade: B-)
- Whitman: The Era that Almost Was (Grade: A)
- Valiant/Jim Shooter Era (Grade: B+)
- Valiant/Post Jim Shooter Era (Grade: B+)
- Valiant/Malev War Era (Grade: B+)
- Valiant/Terran Consortium Era (Grade: A-)
- Valiant/Keith Giffen Era (Grade: C+)
- Acclaim/Tom Peyer Reboot (Grade: B-)
- Acclaim/Unity 2000 Era (Grade: C)
- ibooks/Louise Simonson Reboot (Grade C+)
- Dark Horse/Jim Shooter Reboot (Grade A-)
- Dynamite/Fred Van Lente Reboot (Grade D+)
- Dynamite/Gold Key Alliance Reboot (Grade C+)
- Dynamite/The Sovereigns (Grade B)
- Dynamite/Kyle Higgins Reboot (Grade C+)

For the purposes of this thread, an "Era" is a range of comics, sharing a basic premise, that still exists in the same universe as the original Russ Manning stories, whereas a "Reboot" pays homage to the original stories but does not exist in the same universe as them.
Dang man I really appreciate getting that link pointed out to me! I've been wanting to see something like that for a while!

That had some surprises. Like he considers the Terran Consortium era (post Make War) better than the Malev War. I had been under the impression that later Valiant got more and more unreadable. Wheels coming off, is the expression I recall used.

And that he considers the Magus flipbook issues to actually be Rai stories AND better Rai stories than his actual title.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Oxmyx wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:44:06 am
Dang man I really appreciate getting that link pointed out to me! I've been wanting to see something like that for a while!

That had some surprises. Like he considers the Terran Consortium era (post Make War) better than the Malev War. I had been under the impression that later Valiant got more and more unreadable. Wheels coming off, is the expression I recall used.

And that he considers the Magus flipbook issues to actually be Rai stories AND better Rai stories than his actual title.
I don't agree with some of his rankings, but he explains his opinions well. I do like the post-Malev war era better than the Malev war. Reading it as it was coming out, the Malev War was just dragging on forever. Fast forwarding 20 years at least made it interesting again and there were lots of characters to play with. That being said I wouldn't say those are 'good' comics in terms of quality, just more fun than what had been coming before. Like all of post-Unity there are some bright spots but overall plagued by really inconsistent quality (writing, art, production), hype over substance, and shock value over good storytelling.

I also agree on Rai. I like some of Michelinie's other work, but did not like his Rai series even though I like the original Rai concept the best. Tried re-reading it recently and couldn't get through it. The flip-book stuff is great, throwback to the old 10-12 page stories, and yet pulls off a hollywood style alien invasion epic.

Would be fun to do a re-read and try to rank all the Magnus eras :thumb: