Re-Reading: Magnus Robot Fighter #14

A week-to-week plan is available for re-reading VALIANT from the beginning...
start anytime, go at your own pace.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

How would you rate this book?

33%
33%
No votes
17%
17%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 6

xoken
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Re-Reading: Magnus Robot Fighter #14

Post by xoken »

I thought we could do a book a day (that way people can read one every day or catch up on weekends), talk about it on its own, in the context of whats next, in regards to what expectations it creates and vote on how good it is. I don't have to be the one that posts everyday. If I miss a day or if someone wants to take over please do

For voting think of your single favourite comic book (not just VALIANT) as the benchmark - thats a 10 - and grade according to that.

Make sure to mention what you like'd about the book, what you didn't, what you wish they would have done, your favourite panels, lines of dialogue, little bits of trivia etc.

Magnus Robot Fighter #14

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...
Re: Re-Reading: Magnus Robot Fighter #14

Post by magnusr »

So many sides to this story. It really makes one think. But the end with 1-A seems a bit forced and the inmates loosen up a bit too easily. This story is too complex for such a straight-forward ending. It's an almost perfect issue. Btw, I love Magnus' self-confidence against the guard robot. Knowing what is right or wrong can be very difficult, but at least fighting robots is easy for him.

/Magnus

Todd Luck
Doomed to forever roam the black halls
Doomed to forever roam the black halls

Post by Todd Luck »

Great issue.

It was very clever using the ruins of the ship 1-A served on as the asylum.

Magnus "introducing" himself to the guard rob is my favorite two panel sequence ever.

It was clever to throw in a passing mention of Xyrkol as an inmate of the asylum. Lots of implications there but, for this issue, we know it probably wieghed on Grandone's mind when she decided to kill the inmates.

And it's interesting that 1-A never seems "evil" or even heartless here. Many of the inmates still respect him. They volunteered for the experiments and except that they can't be a part of North Am society because would be too dangerous in some cases or too vunerable in others.

1-A's real sin was simply putting himself in a situation that was beyond his resources and intellect to solve. Thus we have a stubstandard asylum and the decision to eventually kill them when he feared what control he did have over them could be lost. It's almost understandable what happens.

But unfortuanately it puts him on crash course with his son. If you're going to raise someone to be the absolute champion of what's right you better make sure to follow your own rules. You can feel the absolute dread at the coming confrontation.

And the death of Grand One was one of the most shocking events ever put in a comic. I almost need the twist at the end (the inmates reaction) to put it in context, so I remember Magnus didn't just kill 1-A, he was saving humans from a killer robot ( a freewill no less). Wonderful irony.

Great stuff. A 10.

Continuity Note: Magnus 25 will recton away 1-A trying to kill the inmates (it was the Malevs) and will resurrect 1-A turning this storyline into a joke.

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...
Re: Re-Reading: Magnus Robot Fighter #14

Post by magnusr »

Seaborn's synopsis:

Arriving on Phobos, Magnus meets the inmates there (1-A’s failures). The Maker (Grand One) decides to flood the Asylum with neurotoxins to kill the inmates. Izak, the rebellion’s instigator, aids Magnus in his attempt to reach Grand One. Cordik, following Grand One’s instructions, trys to turn the inmates against Magnus. Izac and Magnus breech the command center and Magnus is given no choice but to destroy Grand One. He promises to look after the inmates but acknowledges he can never free them.

/Magnus

JonesyAZ
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Ninjak #1!
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Emanuela Lupacchino

Post by JonesyAZ »

Just started re-reading the Pre-Unity Magnus run this week, and I just have to say that this issue was absolutely GORGEOUS! Man...Ernie Colon just delivered SO well on the art on this issue. And the story's tone by Shooter was almost heart-breaking these last few issues. I wonder if the new Dark Horse run will sometimes feel as dark as these early Magnus issues?

Just had to give props to the creators on this one.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

This story arc in one of my most favorite in all Valiant. The look of these books are amazing.

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Elveen wrote:This story arc in one of my most favorite in all Valiant. The look of these books are amazing.
I agree, most of the early artwork was very memorable.