The Giffen Magnus Run...discussion of Rai's Outcome

A week-to-week plan is available for re-reading VALIANT from the beginning...
start anytime, go at your own pace.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

Looking for a thrill for a Friday night? Well, look no further than Magnus #62 baby!

Oops. Uh, actually, I guess you will have to look further.
Seemed long to do accomplish nothing more than finally turning Torque into a Psi-Lord. Not sure what the big deal is supposed to be. It seems like this has been telegraphed for a few issues now.

Leeja "versus" Magnus hasn't turned out to be much. Again, with the good idea, poor execution. Imagine how good it would have been to see Magnus trying to convince her not to slice him up, and then to get free and have to do everything within his power to incapacitate, but not kill.

Maybe next issue. At least now I finally understand why Leeja is standing there on the cover of 63 with a lightsaber in his hand.

One moment that I might have liked was the Malev emperor saying, "We are the World". I hope he had actually downloaded Stevie Wonder and Whitney Houston voices to play that for Mags-that would have been true torture.

Two more books to read before next Saturday! Yeah!

dave

Post by dave »

Issue 63 is plagued with the same problems that many of the previous books have had. Too many things are happening "off panel" in order to facilitate speedy story telling.

This book opens with Leeja's arm stuck in a door. Apparently the roof collapsed and the underground building was coming apart at the seems, and the thoroughly evil Leeja who is possessed by the hive mind of the Malevs got stuck.

At first I thought that she had lost her lightsaber in the other room. I thought that the artist had made a mistake by showing it on the floor near her left knee...and then-ZZZZap! She sliced of her own arm! Zoinks!

I mentioned this before, but Leeja is more of a flip-flopper than John Kerry in this series! (couldn't resist-take it easy!) If she really had those cool mental powers, wouldn't she, above any other human on the Earth, be able to resist at least a tad?

I believe that Giffen was attempting to delve far deeper into the female psyche than we are seeing here on the surface. I believe Leeja here is representing the eternal struggle for womyn hood. The violence carried out upon her husband is the natural result of years of pent up anger over being used and objectified.
Leeja, having recently discovered the truth, and can't abide the fact that the rest of the world cannot see the lies we live in as a result. Namely we do not know true women, and, so we can't discern a common disease all the women are subjected to. That disease greatly impacts female psychology. Suffering from this disease that is the result of male domination she rightfully and justly becomes a champion for her sex.
Evidence of this is clearly alluded to in her choice of weapons, as the phallic saber is used to inflict pain upon her male oppressor.
Sadly we see that in the end, this attack against her former love causes undie suffering upon herself, as witnessed by her need to use the same lightsaber on herself when "trapped."

This is all way better than I had realized, until I really began to look at what the true message was.

slym2none
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

See? Black-hole class suckage.

:D

-slym

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

slym2none wrote:See? Black-hole class suckage.

-slym

dave

Post by dave »

That is the exact image that ran through my head when I read it... :P

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

Chiclo wrote:

-slym
That is neat, how a black hole has to have one of those inflatable donuts to sit on...

-slym

tmcneil82
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by tmcneil82 »

slym2none wrote:
Chiclo wrote:

-slym
That is neat, how a black hole has to have one of those inflatable donuts to sit on...

-slym

Why don't you try sitting comfortably again after you have sucked that much stuff through your ho..........

I'm sure everyone can see where this is going.

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

-slym

dave

Post by dave »

Magnus 64. The review you've all been waiting for. (Yeah now maybe he'll finally shut up!)

Wow, nine panel layouts. I love nine panel layouts. Had they used them earlier they might have been able to tell stories that were good enough to maintain fan interest.

This was a pretty good way to wrap it all up. Not much else you can do to "end a series". We got to see who survived, and were left with the slightly amiguous what exactly happened to Magnus?

I do wonder if anyone guessed this ending for that contest. I don't think that this is what they had in mind when the contest was originally announced.

I find it odd that there was no editorial page or anything. It would have been nice for Layton to give a eulogy or something.

The good news is, I've finished! I'm ready for Saturday, and I'm excited about what lies ahead! Woo-hoo!

JonesyAZ
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Ninjak #1!
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Emanuela Lupacchino

Post by JonesyAZ »

dave wrote:Magnus 64. The review you've all been waiting for. (Yeah now maybe he'll finally shut up!)

Wow, nine panel layouts. I love nine panel layouts. Had they used them earlier they might have been able to tell stories that were good enough to maintain fan interest.

This was a pretty good way to wrap it all up. Not much else you can do to "end a series". We got to see who survived, and were left with the slightly amiguous what exactly happened to Magnus?

I do wonder if anyone guessed this ending for that contest. I don't think that this is what they had in mind when the contest was originally announced.

I find it odd that there was no editorial page or anything. It would have been nice for Layton to give a eulogy or something.

The good news is, I've finished! I'm ready for Saturday, and I'm excited about what lies ahead! Woo-hoo!
Right there with ya, Dave. And please...no need to "shut up" about re-reading these books. For a noob like me, it's cool to read along with someone else who hasn't had the chance to before. Good times :)

dave

Post by dave »

JonesyAZ wrote: Right there with ya, Dave. And please...no need to "shut up" about re-reading these books. For a noob like me, it's cool to read along with someone else who hasn't had the chance to before. Good times :)
So, will you be joining me for Solar? :wink:

tarheelmarine
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Jim Calafiore
Re:

Post by tarheelmarine »

dave wrote:Issue 63 is plagued with the same problems that many of the previous books have had. Too many things are happening "off panel" in order to facilitate speedy story telling.

At first I thought that she had lost her lightsaber in the other room. I thought that the artist had made a mistake by showing it on the floor near her left knee...and then-ZZZZap! She sliced of her own arm! Zoinks!

This is all way better than I had realized, until I really began to look at what the true message was.
I just re-read from the Malev War to end. Your reviews are spot on. I was chuckling at the light saber as well. The typos through out the last issues were pretty bad as well. I even noticed that in the "indicia" section of #64 it had it listed as #63. Those were sad days for the publisher....

If Magnus is ever attempted again I would like to see Tekla and him involved. I almost thought we might see that when she took a human form.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that
Re: Re:

Post by Elveen »

tarheelmarine wrote:
dave wrote:Issue 63 is plagued with the same problems that many of the previous books have had. Too many things are happening "off panel" in order to facilitate speedy story telling.

I just re-read from the Malev War to end. Your reviews are spot on. I was chuckling at the light saber as well. The typos through out the last issues were pretty bad as well. I even noticed that in the "indicia" section of #64 it had it listed as #63. Those were sad days for the publisher....

If Magnus is ever attempted again I would like to see Tekla and him involved. I almost thought we might see that when she took a human form.

What up Nate!

slym2none
Re: The Giffen Magnus Run...discussion of Rai's Outcome

Post by slym2none »

Welcome!

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.