Reading the Valiant Universe

A week-to-week plan is available for re-reading VALIANT from the beginning...
start anytime, go at your own pace.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

lindsayadams
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me
Reading the Valiant Universe

Post by lindsayadams »

Not so much re-reading for me, as most of the pre-unity stuff I have never been able get down here (some forum members have helped me already with that - Thanks!) - now I have a complete chaos theory set and so, I have embarked on the big read.

I am using the Release Date guide as my reading order, and I've probably been reading a few issues a week for about 5 weeks now

Up to: Eternal Warrior #1

Overall

- Jumping back to these books from the way comics are currently written is jarring to say the least (not necessarily in a bad way). It took me a few issues to reset the tone in my head of the way a comic-book reads and was written back in the early Valiant days. Once I was in, I was hooked.

Thoughts so far

All the books are solidly written -

- Magnus started as the book I HAD to read as soon as possible each week (especially the Rai flipbooks - Japan transforming into a massive lizard to fight spider-aliens in SPACE!?! LOVE IT).

- That soon changed to Solar - brilliant Origin story and lead in to Unity, which then switched to Shadowman (why isn't this a TV series!?) - only 1 issue each into Archer & Armstrong and Eternal Warrior but the feeling is good....

- Found X-O enjoyable but hard going initially, but as Aric's english improved so too did my enjoyment for some reason - the link back to Harbinger through Ax was great and I'm on the X-O train now...

- Harbinger - looooove Zephyr. Not much to say about this one, its must read stuff. Flying a car around with your mind? This book makes me feel 13 again.

- Rai (the standalone book) - flip books were awesome in Magnus - I was loving the Rai concept - Japan's protector / hated by its people. Plenty to do with that - I wish there were more issues before it launched into Unity.

Looking forward now to continuing Unity!

Cheers

Lindsay

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

Great post! Keep it up! We all envy you reading Pre-Unity Valiant for the first time!

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!
Re: Reading the Valiant Universe

Post by Daniel Jackson »

lindsayadams wrote: - Rai (the standalone book) - flip books were awesome in Magnus - I was loving the Rai concept - Japan's protector / hated by its people. Plenty to do with that - I wish there were more issues before it launched into Unity.
Same here. The Rai back story was a perfect fit for the premise of Magnus.

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

lindsayadams wrote: - Jumping back to these books from the way comics are currently written is jarring to say the least (not necessarily in a bad way).
Oh, how right you are. But for me, it is kind of in a bad way. Yeah, it's nostalgic, but it's tough to read these books compared to what is out today.

I don't really think it's entirely the writing though. It's more like the panel layouts to me. The crazy thing is that the new Dark Horse books have the same style. I don't think that's a wise choice on their end, but time will tell.

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

lindsayadams wrote:Not so much re-reading for me, as most of the pre-unity stuff I have never been able get down here (some forum members have helped me already with that - Thanks!) - now I have a complete chaos theory set and so, I have embarked on the big read.

I am using the Release Date guide as my reading order, and I've probably been reading a few issues a week for about 5 weeks now

Up to: Eternal Warrior #1

Overall

- Jumping back to these books from the way comics are currently written is jarring to say the least (not necessarily in a bad way). It took me a few issues to reset the tone in my head of the way a comic-book reads and was written back in the early Valiant days. Once I was in, I was hooked.

Thoughts so far

All the books are solidly written -

- Magnus started as the book I HAD to read as soon as possible each week (especially the Rai flipbooks - Japan transforming into a massive lizard to fight spider-aliens in SPACE!?! LOVE IT).

- That soon changed to Solar - brilliant Origin story and lead in to Unity, which then switched to Shadowman (why isn't this a TV series!?) - only 1 issue each into Archer & Armstrong and Eternal Warrior but the feeling is good....

- Found X-O enjoyable but hard going initially, but as Aric's english improved so too did my enjoyment for some reason - the link back to Harbinger through Ax was great and I'm on the X-O train now...

- Harbinger - looooove Zephyr. Not much to say about this one, its must read stuff. Flying a car around with your mind? This book makes me feel 13 again.

- Rai (the standalone book) - flip books were awesome in Magnus - I was loving the Rai concept - Japan's protector / hated by its people. Plenty to do with that - I wish there were more issues before it launched into Unity.

Looking forward now to continuing Unity!

Cheers

Lindsay
Glad you're enjoying the books and agree with pretty much everything, but as for a Shadowman series? Well, they did have one-sort of-but it was called NightMan and it was a ripoff. A really, really TERRIBLE rip off.