Switch to full style
A week-to-week plan is available for re-reading VALIANT from the beginning...
start anytime, go at your own pace.
Post a reply

Quantum & Woody - Christopher Priest

Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:21:07 am

I've been looking for a place to start this discussion - and didn't see an area. Please let me know if I've put this in the right place, or need to place back somewhere else.

Is anyone else a complete Q & W addict? I can't get enough of these guys. I love the story editing, the humor - it fits forward to naturally piece itself into a film, but feels comfy inside the comic confines. Strange stories - wonderful humor - and satisfying on re-reads. It (and Shadowman, to a degree) made the Acclaim re-launch worthwhile. After enjoying, I actually bought the whole Black Panther line to follow his writing, and became a Black Panther fan, too.

Of course, Priest is a crazy son of a gun (I SAY gun, but I THINK something else), and I know burned WAY more than bridges, but LOVED this run. Anyone else insane on this board? :insane:

VEI

Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:21:42 am

Of course, if I was VEI, that's what I'd be releasing now.

Re: VEI

Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:28:57 am

kevinbastos wrote:Of course, if I was VEI, that's what I'd be releasing now.
I think you'll find many Q&W fans here and many who will also agree it was one of the few bright spots of the Ack-laim relaunch.

Just watch out for a goat that's on a first name basis with the Legion...

Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:45:24 am

I am a big Q&W fan! They make me laugh out loud alot. It's actually time for me to re-read the series...

Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:16:28 am

I love everything Priest worked on. Q&W was definitely one of my favorite series from the Acclaim stuff.

Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:44:20 pm

Q&W was completely awesome.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Re: Quantum & Woody - Christopher Priest

Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:18:38 pm

I was just thumbing through my boxes and came across the first 8 or 9 issues of Q&W, which I'd never read. At that point I was starting to give up on Valiant / Acclaim and was just emptying my pullbox and storing the books. I'll have to give these a go at some point since so many people think they were pretty good.

And that's true of a lot of the late stuff, Shadowman, MRF, etc.

As an aside, I also came across Unity The Lost Chapter (not sure if I ever read it) but I have to say, the artwork and color on the cover are outstanding. I mean, it literally made me pause and say "wow, look at that!".

Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:00:30 pm

Good stuff :thumb:

Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:27:00 am

Unity Lost chapter was forgettable, but Q and W are amazing.

Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:35:03 am

HUGE Q&W FAN!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:18:00 pm

I will read Q&W someday. My first favorite comic book character was Black Panther, so when Priest hit that title in the late '90s it was a godsend. Amazing stuff truly. So the questions is...for those that read it...can Q&W be done correctly without Priest? Sounds like he put his stamp on that title that no one can follow.

Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:53:37 pm

Yeah, Q&W was by far the best thing to come from Acclaim. I loved it!

Unity: The Lost Chapter is a huge continuity error. And I hated the internal art too.

Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:18:18 am

I really want to track these issues down based on the high praise I keep seeing for it. Seems a bit hard to come by though.

Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:06:18 am

tchalla8 wrote:So the questions is...for those that read it...can Q&W be done correctly without Priest? Sounds like he put his stamp on that title that no one can follow.

I doubt it but I don't totally discount the possibility.

Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:08:55 am

I need to re-read these.

Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:54:01 pm

iwantvaliantcomics wrote:I need to re-read these.

I can remember still reading, and then feeling like I needed to start over at the beginning again.

Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:28:47 pm

I am only missing 4 books to have a complete run of Q&W and I recently bought the 4 TPB's. From the comments here, I need to read this series soon. I have found a few books recently in the $1.00 bin at Vintage Stock, including #1 original, #1 painted cover, and #3. Thanks for adding this thread.

mkb28

Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:24:08 pm

Great great stuff! I have them all, plus the TPBs -- and even (how sad is this?) the Goat Inaction Figure!

But the one to read and savor is Q&W #0 (Woody's confession about Amy Fishbein!)

I would have loved to have Priest back (and yes, I loved his Black Panther), but I'm still looking forward to the reboot. Let us hope...

Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:45:19 pm

Alright! Thread back from the DEAD! In 2011 - just months after I jumped on the crazy train... And now, two years later, my dream is coming true.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:09:47 pm

As soon as I first read q&w about a year ago, i was in shock and wanted to re-read them over right away(I didnt).

For the first time in about 18 years.. I had to question who my favorite Valiant characters were and what my favorite books are.

Unity will likely forever be my favorite because I consider it to be it's own series. It tied everything together but stood on it's own. Afterwards things were never consistantly quite as good I think for any title for long.

Q&W stood out to me as the only Valiant title to stay good throughout the entire run and it was from Ack-Lame even!!?. That alone I think has made it my favorite series and lifted the characters up to slightly surpass my other favorites.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:16:53 am

After reading issue #2 of the new launch I am really enjoying it, i'm glad but I really do miss me some priest/bright Q&W. Visually, the original was far better IMO, it's just daunting to see them LOOK different in the new run. Really hoping they finally release those finished issues and complete the unfinished scripts for the gap between cancellations with P&B. I guess the main thing about that is which format(s) will they go with as to not conflict with the current run. I myself can digest both at the same time but realistically I think they may do something a little outside the box for such a unique undertaking.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:25:22 am

MoonChild wrote:Really hoping they finally release those finished issues and complete the unfinished scripts for the gap between cancellations with P&B. I guess the main thing about that is which format(s) will they go with as to not conflict with the current run.

THIS!

Valiant MASTERS, perhaps!

AHEM!

AHEM!

Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:36:05 pm

kevinbastos wrote:
MoonChild wrote:Really hoping they finally release those finished issues and complete the unfinished scripts for the gap between cancellations with P&B. I guess the main thing about that is which format(s) will they go with as to not conflict with the current run.

THIS!

Valiant MASTERS, perhaps!

AHEM!

AHEM!

Screw that. Release them as real issues. Style them like the old no variants. Fill in the gap. Charge $20 each. I'd pay it. Then do 4 masters editions collecting them all in hc.. And charge $100 each. My wallet is begging to give VEI it's money for those..

I'm totally serious.
Post a reply