ValiantFans.com Message Board - Since 2004

Message Board Top Level | Main Website | Price Guide | Book Release History | Newest Books |
It is currently Dec 16, 2017 6:10:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: The Death of Shanhara
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:48:52 pm 
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:41:10 pm
Posts: 9853
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA!
I just reached this arc in my re-read. I think this was the first change that really buckled my hope in the line. The New Harbingers attempt made me wary, the Rai character switches were infuriating, but this one crushed me.

They teased this arc with promo ads that concluded "Please don't shoot us...". I didn't need to, you just shot youself. In the head.

It was like month after month they were going out of their way to alienate the customer base.


Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Google+
Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:26:24 am 
Harbinger rank: Shinia
Harbinger rank: Shinia
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:03:28 pm
Posts: 131
Location: Santa Monica, California
Valiant fan since: 2012
yeah I didn't like that part either :(

Was this happening before Valiant sold to Acclaim? (is that right? I may be wrong I don't know this stuff off the top of my head!)


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:26:56 am 
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:21:01 am
Posts: 2993
Location: Toronto Canada
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: ShadowMan
Favorite title: ShadowMan
Favorite writer: Dysart, Jordan
missjay wrote:
yeah I didn't like that part either :(

Was this happening before Valiant sold to Acclaim? (is that right? I may be wrong I don't know this stuff off the top of my head!)


That happened waaaaay before that

Issue 28 (1994)

Image

_________________
Image


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:20:30 pm 
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:34:06 pm
Posts: 3786
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody
I am actually okay with this. Tought it was an interesting way to 'kill' a character, but not kill, too. Certainly much better than the clone/disguise/hidden garbage in so many other comics.

_________________
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com


If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:35:15 pm 
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:41:10 pm
Posts: 9853
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA!
kevinbastos wrote:
I am actually okay with this. Tought it was an interesting way to 'kill' a character, but not kill, too. Certainly much better than the clone/disguise/hidden garbage in so many other comics.


It was just too soon. Like so many of the other changes, I can't help but feel like they were trying to build a legal firewall against potential IP suits so as to open the doors for a buyout.

At year eight, to shake up a waning fanbase? Maybe. But at year two? :?


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:24:10 pm 
Harbinger rank: Shinia
Harbinger rank: Shinia
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:03:28 pm
Posts: 131
Location: Santa Monica, California
Valiant fan since: 2012
I don't have the experience from reading this when it first came out (as I read most of X-O straight through this year...)
As the previous posts have said... this happened relatively early in the company's career, when they were pretty solid?
On top of their game?

I'm just wondering, from a readers perspective at the time, what were your first impressions when this story arc was revealed?
Did you want to walk away from V? Or away from XO?


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:10:48 pm 
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:41:10 pm
Posts: 9853
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA!
missjay wrote:
I don't have the experience from reading this when it first came out (as I read most of X-O straight through this year...)
As the previous posts have said... this happened relatively early in the company's career, when they were pretty solid?
On top of their game?

I'm just wondering, from a readers perspective at the time, what were your first impressions when this story arc was revealed?
Did you want to walk away from V? Or away from XO?


I didn't walk away but I wasn't happy. And they knew readers wouldn't be happy that's why they advertised it with "Please don't shoot us...". So why would you do something you knew would make readers unhappy?

The only conclusion I can draw is that they were trying to scoot away from as much Shooter-era IP as possible.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:18:11 am 
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:51:43 am
Posts: 6758
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
jmatt wrote:
missjay wrote:
I don't have the experience from reading this when it first came out (as I read most of X-O straight through this year...)
As the previous posts have said... this happened relatively early in the company's career, when they were pretty solid?
On top of their game?

I'm just wondering, from a readers perspective at the time, what were your first impressions when this story arc was revealed?
Did you want to walk away from V? Or away from XO?


I didn't walk away but I wasn't happy. And they knew readers wouldn't be happy that's why they advertised it with "Please don't shoot us...". So why would you do something you knew would make readers unhappy?

The only conclusion I can draw is that they were trying to scoot away from as much Shooter-era IP as possible.

The last issue of X-O I bought when they were coming out was #29... I don't recall specifically why I stopped, but I'm pretty sure it was in part due to this story line. I recently snagged 30-32 to read... I didn't miss much, did I? I don't feel that it was a completely terrible story idea, but it does feel like a cheap ploy.

_________________
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:28:55 pm 
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:41:10 pm
Posts: 9853
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA!
grendeljd wrote:
The last issue of X-O I bought when they were coming out was #29... I don't recall specifically why I stopped, but I'm pretty sure it was in part due to this story line. I recently snagged 30-32 to read... I didn't miss much, did I? I don't feel that it was a completely terrible story idea, but it does feel like a cheap ploy.


They tried to replace the armor that Aric fought for and won after many years of enslavement with a pod from one Solar happened to find lying around on Saturn.

That's like telling King Arthur that he needn't worry about a broken Excalibur, this sword is nearly as good. And oh, Gollum? Forget precious, here's another ring, dont'cha just love it?

Sometimes only the original will do.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:36:27 pm 
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:41:10 pm
Posts: 9853
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA!
grendeljd wrote:
The last issue of X-O I bought when they were coming out was #29... I don't recall specifically why I stopped, but I'm pretty sure it was in part due to this story line. I recently snagged 30-32 to read... I didn't miss much, did I? I don't feel that it was a completely terrible story idea, but it does feel like a cheap ploy.


Hey, King Arthur? Don't worry about Excalibur, isn't this sword nearly as good? Gollum? Forget about the Precious, see how shiny this ring is? Here, try it on.

It's not a horrible story idea. And as far as cheap ploys go, sure, in year 12 when the fan base needs a new twist, go for it.

But issue 28? facepalm


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:13:59 am 
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:51:43 am
Posts: 6758
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
jmatt wrote:
They tried to replace the armor that Aric fought for and won after many years of enslavement with a pod from one Solar happened to find lying around on Saturn.

That's like telling King Arthur that he needn't worry about a broken Excalibur, this sword is nearly as good. And oh, Gollum? Forget precious, here's another ring, dont'cha just love it?

Sometimes only the original will do.


Agreed.

I was wondering if that was an arbitrary story invented for XO, or if it had been established somewhere in Solar that the extra armour was there on Saturn...

_________________
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:41:47 am 
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:37:59 am
Posts: 15812
Location: watertown, wi
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger
grendeljd wrote:
jmatt wrote:
They tried to replace the armor that Aric fought for and won after many years of enslavement with a pod from one Solar happened to find lying around on Saturn.

That's like telling King Arthur that he needn't worry about a broken Excalibur, this sword is nearly as good. And oh, Gollum? Forget precious, here's another ring, dont'cha just love it?

Sometimes only the original will do.


Agreed.

I was wondering if that was an arbitrary story invented for XO, or if it had been established somewhere in Solar that the extra armour was there on Saturn...

iirc yes

_________________
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:35:19 pm 
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:41:10 pm
Posts: 9853
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA!
Yes, in an early issue of Solar he defeats an alien squad on Saturn.

I read the issue where he retrieves the pod from Saturn a few days ago. At first, he's thinking of slipping into the armor and extracting the ring so Aric can wield it. But then he notices the pod and just grabs that.

Meaning that there was still another ManoWar class armor residing on Saturn. I can't recall if it was ever put into play in subsequent issues but it certainly was a nice setup for a future character or story arc.

Just too soon.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:38:30 pm 
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:06:22 pm
Posts: 8232
Location: Hiding in the fetal position
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: BWS
The follow up to this was even worse I thought. It was pretty creepy to have Paul? iirc sacrifice himself to be the new armor? It was supposed to be so emotional, but the character was as endearing as a red-shirted crew member on the Enterprise.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:32:22 pm 
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:41:10 pm
Posts: 9853
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA!
dave wrote:
The follow up to this was even worse I thought. It was pretty creepy to have Paul? iirc sacrifice himself to be the new armor? It was supposed to be so emotional, but the character was as endearing as a red-shirted crew member on the Enterprise.


Another reason to consider it too soon.

Paul had been around here and there and did a lot of bonding with Randy but not so much with Aric. Paul did sacrifice himself to save the gang in the Death of Shanhara arc -- but yeah, not enough for an OMG moment.

He wasn't quite a red shirt but maybe just a notch or two above that.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:03:23 pm 
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:11:13 am
Posts: 4893
Location: Nebraska!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis LaRosa
http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiec ... ce=1104087

_________________
Valiant art collector, dealer & rep. Check out: http://www.sonicdan.com
Original art, comics, & more in my eBay Store: http://stores.ebay.com/Sonicdans-Comics-Art


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:56:52 pm 
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:41:10 pm
Posts: 9853
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA!
Is that a tear stain running along the right hand border? Fitting, because I wanted to cry. :cry:


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:17:12 pm 
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:49:04 pm
Posts: 927
Location: Childersburg, AL
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1, 1991
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart, Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Lupacchino, BWS, Lapham
jmatt wrote:
I just reached this arc in my re-read. I think this was the first change that really buckled my hope in the line. The New Harbingers attempt made me wary, the Rai character switches were infuriating, but this one crushed me.

They teased this arc with promo ads that concluded "Please don't shoot us...". I didn't need to, you just shot youself. In the head.

It was like month after month they were going out of their way to alienate the customer base.


Absolutely agree! This, what you mention about Harbinger and Ra, and Archer and Armstrong sucking really bad as well: that's when I began to become disillusioned with Valiant. I stuck around for awhile longer, until sometime between Chaos Effect and Birthquake, when it was sucking so bad I just couldn't take it anymore.

But yes, the death of Shanhara is perhaps the thing I was most angry with them about. Bob Layton likes to talk about how the quality went down after he was no longer involved. But, sadly, some of it began on his watch, in my opinion. This is an excellent example of how they didn't care about their readers anymore. That, and they stopped doing letter columns. It's like they just quit caring, and it showed.

Sting leaving the Harbinger book was probably the second biggest gripe I had with them. Oh, and also, they totally changed what they were originally going to do with Timewalker, and I didn't like that either.

Sensationalism just for the sake of sensationalism is idiotic; if something ain't broke, don't fix it.

_________________
For my Valiant: Kindle Worlds stories, check out my amazon author central page, http://www.amazon.com/Richmond-West/e/B ... 204&sr=8-1

Sort by price low to high, and the Valiant Kindle Worlds stories will pop to the top. :)


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:43:37 am 
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:36:40 am
Posts: 1439
bamaphilosopher wrote:

Oh, and also, they totally changed what they were originally going to do with Timewalker,.


See this is where my curiosity gets the better of me. I was never around for any of this stuff. So what was the original plan for Timewalker.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:24:14 am 
Personal shoe-shopper for Atom!
Personal shoe-shopper for Atom!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:03:35 pm
Posts: 335
Location: Mobile, Alabama
Valiant fan since: 2014
While I may not have the sense of nostalgia for original Valiant like the vast majority of you, I felt that this arc was very strong and reinforced by Turok's second cameo appearance. Watching Shanhara slowly degrade overtime under Randy's watch (especially during her fight with Ax) was an interesting touch all things considered (Manowar armor feeding off of the human condition to adapt to that person's emotions/inner turmoils)

_________________
Image


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:49:59 pm 
5318008
5318008
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 7:08:21 pm
Posts: 532
Location: Modesto California
So how many issues before they destroy the armor is VEI ?


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:10:18 pm 
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:36:40 am
Posts: 1439
1st Among Equals wrote:
So how many issues before they destroy the armor is VEI ?


Well book of the dead is next so...not that much longer I guess


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group