Too much of the same stuff

A week-to-week plan is available for re-reading VALIANT from the beginning...
start anytime, go at your own pace.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Too much of the same stuff

Post by jmatt »

I read Secret Weapons #11 tonight and have reached a conclusion: Valiant was way way way too dependent on Harbinger derivatives.

We have Harbingers, great. Then comes HardCorps, who mimic Harbinger abilities with brain implants; mmm, okay. It's not really scientifically clear as how genetically granted abilities are mimicked with brain implants -- and how anyone with these implants can have multiple, switchable powers. But alright, I'll suspend my disbelief.

But here comes the SW crew, whose suits are based on mimicking HardCorps abilities which mimick Harbinger abilities. Please. Were the writers forbidden from thinking up something new?

And as for villains, too much Harada and Darque and Spider aliens. Sure, every universe needs cornerstones. But it seemed like 90% of all confrontations involved one of these three. A&A and the 4000 titles were the only ones that got any leeway from the standard forces of darkness.

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham
Re: Too much of the same stuff

Post by 400yrs »

Good villains were definitely a weakness. After Darque, Harada, Spider Aliens and Mothergod, there wasn't much that was memorable nor good.
ASM Crossover Home

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

I get what you are saying...kind of how Marvel became dependent on Mutants to the point where they had to have MDay to wipe most of them out and force writers to come up with origin stories again.

HARD Corps could have been better explained as latent Harbingers activated through tech rather than another Harbinger...and the second incarnation of Secret Weapons were just "meh" in general. You could also say they were ripoffs of Armorines and XO too.

As far as villains, good ones are really hard to create and develop, so I understand why they used Harada and Darque so much. But we also had Eclipse, Ax, Mothergod, Iwatsu, the Destroyer, the Sect, the Malev, and the Immortal Enemy.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Newton
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by Newton »

To me it feels like there were some really good ideas generated before unity and after unity they kept stretching out those same ideas more and more until they just were not interesting by the time you get to Chaos Effect and after.