Question about VH1 'date stamping'?

A week-to-week plan is available for re-reading VALIANT from the beginning...
start anytime, go at your own pace.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
Question about VH1 'date stamping'?

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Not sure if anyone would know the answer to this as it's all hypothetical but....in VH1 the story lines were all 'date stamped' with 1991, 1992 etc so you knew when a story was happening. For example, Archer and Armstrong #1 takes place on April 4th 1992. Let's imagine VH1 did not end and it was still running to the present day. How would they have maintained 'date stamping' the story lines without ageing the characters? Would they have had X-O as a 50+ year old man?

I imagine adding complexity like 'date stamping' to a universe brings headaches in addition to the usual continuity challenges. As the books ended in the 90's I guess we'll never know for sure how this would have played out but I'm wondering if Jim Shooter, Bob Layton etc ever explained why they decided to use this method?

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
Re: Question about VH1 'date stamping'?

Post by BugsySig »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Not sure if anyone would know the answer to this as it's all hypothetical but....in VH1 the story lines were all 'date stamped' with 1991, 1992 etc so you knew when a story was happening. For example, Archer and Armstrong #1 takes place on April 4th 1992. Let's imagine VH1 did not end and it was still running to the present day. How would they have maintained 'date stamping' the story lines without ageing the characters? Would they have had X-O as a 50+ year old man?

I imagine adding complexity like 'date stamping' to a universe brings headaches in addition to the usual continuity challenges. As the books ended in the 90's I guess we'll never know for sure how this would have played out but I'm wondering if Jim Shooter, Bob Layton etc ever explained why they decided to use this method?
If it was meant to work anything like the New Universe, then the characters would have aged more or less in real time. If that was the case, it would have presented some interesting challenges, but also would have made continuity from bible books like Rai #0 easier to follow.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t