Post-Unity Solar, anything worth reading?

A week-to-week plan is available for re-reading VALIANT from the beginning...
start anytime, go at your own pace.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Post-Unity Solar, anything worth reading?

Post by Ryan »

I wasn't a huge Solar fan when the books were coming out, but later read the pre-Unity stuff and loved it. So I've got big gaps in my post-Unity Solar reading. How does it hold up, any gems?

Ryan
Re: Post-Unity Solar, anything worth reading?

Post by Ryan »

Looks like Vanhook takes over and finishes off the pre-Unity plots and then becomes the main writer for a lengthy run.

Then 3 issues after Chaos Effect (#42) a guy named Steve Sullivan does 2 issues, Christopher Priest does 2 issues (I forgot he did stuff for VH1) and then issue 46 is Birthquake. Jurgens goes until #54, Tony Bedard takes over from 55-59, then Keith Giffen polishes it off with #60.

Some real interesting names there. I sold off a bunch of my post Unity years ago when I was purging, but I've been building it back again recently :lol:

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

Looking at my comments from a few years back (all int the Re-Reading forum), I enjoyed Solar a lot through #24 and generally up to Chaos Effect. Everything after (like most titles) was skipable.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

SwiftMann wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:53:04 pm Looking at my comments from a few years back (all int the Re-Reading forum), I enjoyed Solar a lot through #24 and generally up to Chaos Effect. Everything after (like most titles) was skipable.
:thumb: Checking out those threads. Vanhook and Grau seems like it should be a solid team.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

SwiftMann wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:51:44 pm Solar, Man of the Atom #46-60 – Jurgens’ take on Solar (including a five issue run that writes a whole new world) is ambitious and probably looked a bit better on paper than the final versions. They feel very cartoony or cheesy in the Valiant Universe. I enjoyed Bedard’s follow-up on the title quite a bit. Why they handed it off to Giffin for the final, awful issue, I have no idea.
From the other thread. I was curious about the Bedard issues, I've always thought he was a good writer.

Man-of-The-Atom
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite title: Solar Man of The Atom
Favorite writer: Kevin Vanhook
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by Man-of-The-Atom »

Ryan wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:19:59 pm
SwiftMann wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:51:44 pm Solar, Man of the Atom #46-60 – Jurgens’ take on Solar (including a five issue run that writes a whole new world) is ambitious and probably looked a bit better on paper than the final versions. They feel very cartoony or cheesy in the Valiant Universe. I enjoyed Bedard’s follow-up on the title quite a bit. Why they handed it off to Giffin for the final, awful issue, I have no idea.
From the other thread. I was curious about the Bedard issues, I've always thought he was a good writer.
They were good in that he brought Solar back down to Earth, but they were bad in that they seemed to lack direction.
Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be...

SwiftMann
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

Man-of-The-Atom wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:46:48 am
They were good in that he brought Solar back down to Earth, but they were bad in that they seemed to lack direction.
Yeah, I wrote the above a couple years ago, but now have no memory of what Bedard's issues were about. And, I agree, he's generally a good writer.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

Man-of-The-Atom

SwiftMann wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:05:41 am
Man-of-The-Atom wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:46:48 am
Yeah, I wrote the above a couple years ago, but now have no memory of what Bedard's issues were about. And, I agree, he's generally a good writer.
Something about Phil working in a soup kitchen and getting a dog from Chernobyl, no?
Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be...

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Man-of-The-Atom wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:46:48 am They were good in that he brought Solar back down to Earth, but they were bad in that they seemed to lack direction.
Are you a fan of the Vanhook Solar run? I've only read a few random issues and the Destroyer stuff way back when, would like to read the whole thing.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

SwiftMann wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:05:41 am Yeah, I wrote the above a couple years ago, but now have no memory of what Bedard's issues were about. And, I agree, he's generally a good writer.
I liked Bedard on Magnus. I didn't like the idea of the time jump to 4020, but the execution wasn't bad, I enjoyed the Bedard writing more than Ostrander.
Last edited by Ryan on Wed May 18, 2022 10:06:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Man-of-The-Atom wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:56:10 am Something about Phil working in a soup kitchen and getting a dog from Chernobyl, no?
:lol: post-Birthquake was crazy times

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

oops double post

Man-of-The-Atom

Ryan wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:01:38 am Are you a fan of the Vanhook Solar run? I've only read a few random issues and the Destroyer stuff way back when, would like to read the whole thing.
Absolutely. He really understood where to place the focus and the tone was perfect.
Ryan wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:04:32 am :lol: post-Birthquake was crazy times
Indeed, lol.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Man-of-The-Atom wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:23:46 pm Absolutely. He really understood where to place the focus and the tone was perfect.
:thumb: Will add it to the pile.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Review - Solar 14 and 15

Very solid issues that had the pre-Unity feel. Interesting characters and well told stories. I like Bender as a villain.

My complaints/nitpicks - So Phil comes back from Unity and the first thing he does is take some random dude into the quantum field so he can get powers just like Pierce? That felt too contrived and dumb, took away from the impact of the story. Would have been much better if they could've thought of a more clever way for Bender to trick Phil into taking him to the quantum.

I love Ditko, but sometimes the faces got too cartoony and didn't feel like a VALIANT book. You can always count on Ditko for super descriptive panels and clear storytelling though, that was all there.

Overall I grade these issues a solid B.

I can't believe how many post-Unity Solars I haven't read. Just got the majority of the Vanhook run on ebay for under 20 bucks though, so I'll continue this when I get those.

Man-of-The-Atom

Ryan wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 5:51:30 pm Review - Solar 14 and 15

Very solid issues that had the pre-Unity feel. Interesting characters and well told stories. I like Bender as a villain.

My complaints/nitpicks - So Phil comes back from Unity and the first thing he does is take some random dude into the quantum field so he can get powers just like Pierce? That felt too contrived and dumb, took away from the impact of the story. Would have been much better if they could've thought of a more clever way for Bender to trick Phil into taking him to the quantum.

I love Ditko, but sometimes the faces got too cartoony and didn't feel like a VALIANT book. You can always count on Ditko for super descriptive panels and clear storytelling though, that was all there.

I can't believe how many post-Unity Solars I haven't read. Just got the majority of the Vanhook run on ebay for under 20 bucks though, so I'll continue this when I get those.
Those are two issues I think I've only read once.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Man-of-The-Atom wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:18:30 pm

Read 'em again! Would love to hear your thoughts :thumb:

Man-of-The-Atom

Ryan wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:11:42 pm

Not sure when I'd be able to. I'm working on a re-write of Knights' Legacy that's taking up all of my time, heh.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Man-of-The-Atom wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 6:31:45 am

Not sure when I'd be able to. I'm working on a re-write of Knights' Legacy that's taking up all of my time, heh.
I hear ya, reading comics time gets harder and harder to come by as I get older. Good luck on the writing, looking forward to reading those comics.

Man-of-The-Atom

Ryan wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:33:00 am

I hear ya, reading comics time gets harder and harder to come by as I get older. Good luck on the writing, looking forward to reading those comics.
Thanks.

Of all my comics, I must have read my VALIANTs the most for when I wrote the Wiki entries. But because I wasn't allowed to create entries for Solar, Magnus, and Turok those I didn't read as much as the others.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Man-of-The-Atom wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 2:34:43 pm

Thanks.

Of all my comics, I must have read my VALIANTs the most for when I wrote the Wiki entries. But because I wasn't allowed to create entries for Solar, Magnus, and Turok those I didn't read as much as the others.
That makes sense. Those wikis aren't still around, are they?

I was reading VALIANT as it came out, so of course I couldn't get everything. I've gone back and re-read a lot of pre-Unity multiple times but never re-read much of post-Unity or caught up on the stuff I missed.

Man-of-The-Atom

Ryan wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 2:44:24 pm
Man-of-The-Atom wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 2:34:43 pm

Thanks.

That makes sense. Those wikis aren't still around, are they?

I was reading VALIANT as it came out, so of course I couldn't get everything. I've gone back and re-read a lot of pre-Unity multiple times but never re-read much of post-Unity or caught up on the stuff I missed.
I salvaged what I could and moved it https://the-book-of-geomancer.fandom.com/wiki/Main_Page, then later one of the admins from this Fandom page https://valiant.fandom.com/wiki/Valiant_Comics_Database started moving some of it over there, but then he stopped. I'm not sure what their status is as I haven't opened these pages in a long time.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Man-of-The-Atom wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 6:18:30 pm I salvaged what I could and moved it https://the-book-of-geomancer.fandom.com/wiki/Main_Page, then later one of the admins from this Fandom page https://valiant.fandom.com/wiki/Valiant_Comics_Database started moving some of it over there, but then he stopped. I'm not sure what their status is as I haven't opened these pages in a long time.
:thumb: Great work dude, it should be preserved.

Man-of-The-Atom

Ryan wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 6:43:24 pm
Man-of-The-Atom wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 6:18:30 pm I salvaged what I could and moved it https://the-book-of-geomancer.fandom.com/wiki/Main_Page, then later one of the admins from this Fandom page https://valiant.fandom.com/wiki/Valiant_Comics_Database started moving some of it over there, but then he stopped. I'm not sure what their status is as I haven't opened these pages in a long time.
:thumb: Great work dude, it should be preserved.
Thanks, and I agree.