Re-Reading: Solar #4

A week-to-week plan is available for re-reading VALIANT from the beginning...
start anytime, go at your own pace.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

How would you rate this book?

70%
30%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 10

xoken
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Re-Reading: Solar #4

Post by xoken »

I thought we could do a book a day (that way people can read one every day or catch up on weekends), talk about it on its own, in the context of whats next, in regards to what expectations it creates and vote on how good it is. I don't have to be the one that posts everyday. If I miss a day or if someone wants to take over please do

For voting think of your single favourite comic book (not just VALIANT) as the benchmark - thats a 10 - and grade according to that.

Make sure to mention what you like'd about the book, what you didn't, what you wish they would have done, your favourite panels, lines of dialogue, little bits of trivia etc.

Solar #4

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...
Re: Re-Reading: Solar #4

Post by magnusr »

In this issue it all comes together - literally. It even works out for Tammy. On the way there we are treated to lots of good remarks from Seleski/Maxwell. While things are mostly on a super-level, we still get to see some very normal humans and normal human reactions. A very good issue.

/Magnus

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger
Re: Re-Reading: Solar #4

Post by myron »

magnusr wrote:In this issue it all comes together - literally. It even works out for Tammy. On the way there we are treated to lots of good remarks from Seleski/Maxwell. While things are mostly on a super-level, we still get to see some very normal humans and normal human reactions. A very good issue.

/Magnus
:thumb:
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

jedimarley
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.

Post by jedimarley »

It's amazing, No drop-off or let down from issue to issue.

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Very well put together issue.

Todd Luck
Doomed to forever roam the black halls
Doomed to forever roam the black halls

Post by Todd Luck »

One of the best fights ever done in a Valiant Comic. Brilliant dialog.

And the ending is great. One personality doesn't end up destroying the other or forcing the other to merge. Sol ends the conflict by reasoning with Solar. Isn't that how most problems in life are really solved? And the conclusion that he needs all the different aspects of himself to be whole was nice.

Incredible stuff :thumb: A 10.

Continuity Notes: This is the first time I think Valiant used art from one comic in another when showing the same events from another issue. Cool technique. It really drove home the point that Sol hadn't been able to alter anything in the timeline until the very end when he emerges from te reactor.

Speaking of which, Erica ended up in the reactor room, trying to shut it off just like her A & O counterpart. That'll come up later.

Solar will have other split personality incidents. One in the future in Rai 0 and another that will create Solar the Destroyer.

And, yes, this does establish that their are multiple timelines (realities) in VH-1 and that it is possible to alter history through time travel and create a new timeline (otherwise VH-1 wouldn't exist!). Mothergod uses this as one of her main justifications in Unity. The multiverse also comes up again in more detail in Unity 2000.

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

The VCB synopsis:

Phil Seleski’s Solar persona takes Dwight for a joy-flight high above the kid’s neighborhood. Upon returning home, he levitates Tammy in a romantice embrace. Just then, Tammy’s boyfriend, Earl, walks in after an extended trucking job. Seeing his girl with another man, he angrilly departs. Tammy chases after him remorsefully.
Elsewhere, Seleski’s Max Blackwell persona sits in a motel room with Erica Pierce passed out on the bed. He wanted to use her as a pawn against Solar, but she passed out drunk and he didn’t have it within himself to take advantage of her. Feeling like a failure at being a super-villain, Max leaves the hung-over woman.
Later at the Edgewater facility, Phil Seleski’s fusion reactor is finally activated. The staff decides to go celebrate at a bar, but Seleski stays behind to watch his creation. Eventually, the exhausted Seleski goes home for a nap.
At John Veerhusen’s office, Solar arrives for advice on fitting into this world. Just then, Max Blackwell shows up to warn John about the new reactor. The two superhumans begin a battle which carries them away from the medical center. The fight takes them practically across the state. As they fight high above the Earth, Solar and Blackwell notice the flash caused by the Edgewater reactor’s explosion. They cease fighting and fly to the scene, even as Seleski races back from his home to see what went wrong. Within the smoking containment building, Blackwell and Solar resume their fight. Blackwell incapacitates Solar and explains that Solar is the child-like, altruistic component of Phil Seleski. Max Blackwell is the cynical, dark side of Seleski. They must recombine if they are to stop the reactor explosion. And they must merge with the Phil Seleski of this reality if they are to regain their lost humanity. The two superhumans then become one. And, just as in the previous history’s nuclear accident, Phil Seleskj arrives in the containment building to fall into the fiery core. But this time he merges with the waiting superhuman. One being, at last, Phil Seleski extinguishes the Edgewater reactor by the power of his godlike will. When the others arrive, they find Seleski and the unconcious Erica Pierce inside the mysteriously radiation-free containment chamber.
Later, Phil visits with John Veerhusen to discuss the whole episode. Phil fooled the authorities into thinking he is normal. But he still retains the powers of Solar. He also telephones Tammy and is pleased to hear that she and Earl got back together. And so, Big John as his only confidant, Phil faces a future of being a god who wants to live as a man.

/Magnus

Second_Death
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Second_Death »

This issue completes the Second Death story ( :D ) . I consider this the 4th best Valiant story behind A&O, Steel Nation, and Invasion. 10!