Re-Reading: X-O Manowar #0

A week-to-week plan is available for re-reading VALIANT from the beginning...
start anytime, go at your own pace.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

How would you rate this book?

19%
10%
33%
14%
5%
5%
10%
5%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 21

xoken
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by xoken »

Todd Luck wrote:
xoken wrote:
jedimarley wrote:To me , this issue was made for new readers, a jumping on point.
That's right, at the time this was being planned and came out the early X-O issues were hard to come by and very expensive. I think there was even a letter that showcased this in an X-O issue (21 maybe?)
You know, they used to just take a couple of sentances (or panels) to explain the backstory occasionally instead of wrapping it in Chromium and charging $3.50 for it...
This was the 90s :thumb:

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

I didn't mind paying the extra for the #0 issue, I really liked most of Valiant chromium.

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

This was a gold that I got directly from valiant...so the issue holds special meaning to me... :thumb:
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

RobInOttawa
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by RobInOttawa »

I was terribly disappointed with this book. Having read X-O Manowar issues 1 through 5, then going to #0, I was shocked at how bad the zero issue really was.

There was little in terms of dialog and absolutely nothing new in terms of character development. Too much artwork and not enough dialog that made the comic a really fast read. This is something I would expect from Image. Aric seemed like a different person and not the visigoth we meet in issue #1.

The comic felt rushed and did not have the feel of the pre-unity X-O books.

I'm probably being too harsh, but I have been reading the original Pre-Unity Valiants for the first time in 12 years. They are simply amazing and well developed.

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

RobInOttawa wrote:I was terribly disappointed with this book. Having read X-O Manowar issues 1 through 5, then going to #0, I was shocked at how bad the zero issue really was.

There was little in terms of dialog and absolutely nothing new in terms of character development. Too much artwork and not enough dialog that made the comic a really fast read. This is something I would expect from Image. Aric seemed like a different person and not the visigoth we meet in issue #1.

The comic felt rushed and did not have the feel of the pre-unity X-O books.

I'm probably being too harsh, but I have been reading the original Pre-Unity Valiants for the first time in 12 years. They are simply amazing and well developed.
Try reading the last 20 or so issues of X-O, now that's some awful reading. X-O #0 will seem a whole lot better to you after that.

RobInOttawa

Post by RobInOttawa »

Daniel Jackson wrote:Try reading the last 20 or so issues of X-O, now that's some awful reading. X-O #0 will seem a whole lot better to you after that.
Fortunately, I'm a LOOONNG way away from reading those awful looking issues. I stopped reading valiant comics when Dr. Mirage was introduced. Everything after this point will be completely new to me.

Unfortunately it is suggested by many that that the writing and quality of Valiant begins to slip slowly towards the edge of a cliff after Jim Shooter leaves and then around "birthquake" does a free for all descent into the abyss.

Robbstrd
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?

Post by Robbstrd »

muzzsucker wrote:
Zardoz wrote:I really didn't care for the Elvis as the Map Giver. Jim Morrison might have been a better choice. :wink:
wow elvis, jimmy & steven tyler all appeared in VALIANT comics.
Don't forget Dickey Betts of the Allman Brothers (Shadowman #1).

WR X-O
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me

Post by WR X-O »

I just re-read X-O #0 and have to say I'm totally underwhelmed. It really needed to be the same kind of book the first few issues were, and it wasn't. It was pretty, it was flashy, but it lacked substance, and it really reminds me of when I first read it and thought to myself that Valiant might be starting to slip.

They should have kept Jim Shooter.

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

I loved this issue, but I have a continuity question. Solar appears in this issue in 2 panels and he is destroying the Spider Aliens as Aric escapes.

Did this happen somewhere in the Solar book?

When he destroyed them on the moon, it was well after November 1991. When the Destroyer went to Saturn, it was way after 1991 and he wasn't even around at that time. In fact, I'm not sure he knew of their existence by November 1991.

Is this something they just threw in there or does it actually fit somewhere in continuity? The VCB is no help because this issue is after its coverage. The way he is drawn, it almost looks like the Destroyer. Time travel?

Dino, if you liked "fat" Quesada's work here, check out his recent covers on the ASM OMIT variants. The MJ screaming cover is awesome. :thumb:

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

400yrs wrote:Did this happen somewhere in the Solar book?
There's some theories on this inside Todd's first post in this thread.

/Magnus

400yrs
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

magnusr wrote:
400yrs wrote:Did this happen somewhere in the Solar book?
There's some theories on this inside Todd's first post in this thread.

/Magnus
I tried reading that post a few times, but it confused me more. I think it's just a continuity flub. I never care much for continuity (probably because it would drive me nuts and affect my enjoyment). I guess I just won't worry about it and chalk it up to a bit of crappy writing. I still really liked the book though. The art is too good. :thumb:

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

Robbstrd wrote:
muzzsucker wrote:
Zardoz wrote:I really didn't care for the Elvis as the Map Giver. Jim Morrison might have been a better choice. :wink:
wow elvis, jimmy & steven tyler all appeared in VALIANT comics.
Don't forget Dickey Betts of the Allman Brothers (Shadowman #1).
Did Charlie Parker appear in a book too, or did they just reference him?

I remember liking the 0 issue when it came out, but I had not read X-O 1-4 at that time.