New Shadowman art frustration!

Discussions of VALIANT art, artists, and the creation process. Share your latest acquisitions,
or find help in learning about original art.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Crow331
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
New Shadowman art frustration!

Post by Crow331 »

Not just Shadowman but I've had this problem recently with other artists ... everyone going digital!!!

Dave Johnson Shadowman Variant covers ... digital
Patrick Zircher Shadowman cover and interiors ... digital
Bill Sienkiewicz - Won't answer my emails and probably wants a fortune for that cover anyways! No idea if it's digital

I emailed another artist a few months back and got the same answer. I'm sure it's easier to draw digitally, easier to make fixes etc, but it seems to me that artists are losing a huge chunk of income by going digital. They have no pages to sell !! Not only do they not make any money, but their agents don't make money and the fans have nothing to cherish from their favorite comic books either. This is really frustrating for me! :!:

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...
Re: New Shadowman art frustration!

Post by magnusr »

Crow331 wrote:I'm sure it's easier to draw digitally, easier to make fixes etc, but it seems to me that artists are losing a huge chunk of income by going digital.
Especially as art goes for more nowadays. Maybe it makes them so much quicker that it is worth it? Or they can get the right to sell prints? Agree it's kind of a pity.

/Magnus

jay
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by jay »

I've never cared for the digital art style in comic art, however, I have also never really sought out anything post VH1. Can you imagine Dave L.'s early Shadowman if it was done digital or Bob Hall's "energy" that comes through in his work if it was done in a digital medium. I can't.

It seems like this may be the same shift that was seen with coloring 10 to 15 years ago.

Heath
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

Maybe they can put it on a flash drive for you and you can frame that... :P
I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

sonicdan
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis LaRosa

Post by sonicdan »

I have definitely contended with trying to track down art only to find out it's done digitally.
Khari Evans on Harbinger....digital.
I was pleased when I found out the Lewis LaRosa "flashback" pages were done in pencil.
(even more pleased that I was able to buy them all) :D
With rotating artists, variant covers, preliminary work and such you may be able to find some Shadoman art down the road after all.
DAN
Sonicdan's Comics and Original Art: http://www.sonicdan.com
My eBay Store (Comics, Art, Collectibles) https://www.ebay.com/str/sonicdanscomicsart

Crow331

Post by Crow331 »

sonicdan wrote:I have definitely contended with trying to track down art only to find out it's done digitally.
Khari Evans on Harbinger....digital.
I was pleased when I found out the Lewis LaRosa "flashback" pages were done in pencil.
(even more pleased that I was able to buy them all) :D
With rotating artists, variant covers, preliminary work and such you may be able to find some Shadoman art down the road after all.
DAN

Well I wanted the Dave Johnson cover #2 but that was digital. Dave's agent thought all of Dave's covers for Shadowman were digital but it turns out that #1 and #3 were hand drawn so they are available (if they didn't sell at NYCC) ... of course I loved #2 and didn't care for #1 or #3 :!: Maybe someone else here is interested, you can contact Dave's agent. Hopefully another artist will come along down the road that will have something to offer me that I like.

steverino
Account deactivated by administrator.

Post by steverino »

Digital art takes away a lot of character and little artistic nuances that makes art what it is. I personally cannot stand digitally colored books either. Yes, it's better in a way, but it also takes away from the feel of the art, so it's actually worse in other ways.

Or maybe I'm just too old fashioned.

Burrito Boy
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Favorite character: Gunny Lewis
Favorite title: Armorines
Favorite writer: Jorge Gonzalez

Post by Burrito Boy »

steverino wrote:Digital art takes away a lot of character and little artistic nuances that makes art what it is. I personally cannot stand digitally colored books either. Yes, it's better in a way, but it also takes away from the feel of the art, so it's actually worse in other ways.

Or maybe I'm just too old fashioned.

You're not alone. I hate digital coloring too. It makes everything feel so empty, without soul. :mad: