My consolation prize...

Discussions of VALIANT art, artists, and the creation process. Share your latest acquisitions,
or find help in learning about original art.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.
My consolation prize...

Post by nycjadie »

Since Ed and Jesse are showing off their new art, I thought I'd share mine. I usually wait until I have it in hand before sharing, but since I was outbid on those 2 amazing Solar gold prototypes, I just can't help myself. It's my biggest piece yet, and will look amazing framed in our new house, which I hope to move into soon.

nycjadie
Re: My consolation prize...

Post by nycjadie »

As an aside, I bought 4 copies each of the 18 copy interlocking Armor Hunters set. There was a seller selling them cheap on eBay, and I just couldn't pass them up (just over $2 an issue). I've been screening them for 9.8s, and hope to have a near complete set that I'll be sending to CGC soon. I'm sure I'll be posting on these boards looking for a few that didn't make the grade. I know for example, I need the green bird. When I'm done, I'll have a 9.8 interlocking cover set, which will look thoroughly ridiculous when assembled.

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

:clap:

/Magnus

Phantom
I will call my mum and ask what the *SQUEE* is going on.
I will call my mum and ask what the *SQUEE* is going on.
Location: I would rather be under the stars in a tent, or on a park bench.

Post by Phantom »

:thumb:

Thats the piece i almost brought about 3 months ago.
It is a brilliant piece, congratulations.

You are lucky my wife didn't annoy me to much recently, otherwise i would have had that on a revenge spend to make me happy and upset her at the same time.

Maybe I should share the story on why I brought my 1950 chevy fleetline :?
I wish their was a Spinal Tap comic, and I had a copy CGC graded at 11.

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

Phantom wrote::thumb:

Thats the piece i almost brought about 3 months ago.
It is a brilliant piece, congratulations.

You are lucky my wife didn't annoy me to much recently, otherwise i would have had that on a revenge spend to make me happy and upset her at the same time.

Maybe I should share the story on why I brought my 1950 chevy fleetline :?
I'd love to hear that story. I saw a fixer 1961 Econoline on the street the other day, and I had a mid-life crisis rockabilly fantasy of restoring it. But then, I realized that this artwork was a much better investment, and it wouldn't force me into swearing at greasy loose parts while I fumble an ancient engine into a few more years of service. Of course, Valiant art is unlikely to get me laid.

Anyway, I tell my wife everything, but I didn't tell her about this one. Nope.

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Wow, that's how you do it! The display potential for this is MASSIVE!

Not sure how it could be done with this many slabs than with the frames from "Frame it Again, Sam"

ilzuccone
Valiant fan since: VEI

Post by ilzuccone »

2 things are awesome in this thread:
1. that amazing art
2. the term "revenge spend."

:lol:

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

DirtbagSailor wrote:Wow, that's how you do it! The display potential for this is MASSIVE!

Not sure how it could be done with this many slabs than with the frames from "Frame it Again, Sam"

I'm more of a contemporary white frame guy, but I think the more likely scenario is I would lay them out on the floor once, take a picture and plaster it up here, all before putting them back in the box. A guy I was buying books from accused me of being a dealer as opposed to a collector recently. I told him, while I do sell books I don't want, I'm more of a hoarder. I have like 25 long boxes worth of Valiant. I think that approaches hoarder like status.

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

nycjadie wrote:I'm more of a contemporary white frame guy, but I think the more likely scenario is I would lay them out on the floor once, take a picture and plaster it up here, all before putting them back in the box. A guy I was buying books from accused me of being a dealer as opposed to a collector recently. I told him, while I do sell books I don't want, I'm more of a hoarder. I have like 25 long boxes worth of Valiant. I think that approaches hoarder like status.
I frequently am accused of being a seller (which wouldn't be a bad thing really), but I am clearly not. Like you, I DO sell things, but buy MUCH more. I like collecting the way I do, and it might be considered more of an obsession than an actual hobby.

When I saw Dinesh's comment about Harbinger #1 a while back, I didn't need to be told twice what I had to do. So I bought a TON of Harbinger-related books to slab, collect, and sell. This obsession is NOT cheap, and in order for me to continue to have the ability to buy the art and books that I love, money must be a consideration. That and general life I suppose... :?

I think now and in the near future we will see a HUGE divide between the casual collector and the obsessed collector. Some people are very happy that after 25 years Valiant books are EXPLODING in demand and value. Others seem to BITTERLY resent this, and have been attacking (both passively and directly) anyone who appears to be capitalizing on the money aspect of recent Valiant news.

I suppose it somehow makes these nay-sayers feel as if they are somehow more pure and true to to the heart of Valiant Collectorism (word???) and that people like me are some fly-by-night greed vampire who will never appreciate Valiant like they do.

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)

Post by jeremycoe »

DirtbagSailor wrote:
nycjadie wrote:I'm more of a contemporary white frame guy, but I think the more likely scenario is I would lay them out on the floor once, take a picture and plaster it up here, all before putting them back in the box. A guy I was buying books from accused me of being a dealer as opposed to a collector recently. I told him, while I do sell books I don't want, I'm more of a hoarder. I have like 25 long boxes worth of Valiant. I think that approaches hoarder like status.
I frequently am accused of being a seller (which wouldn't be a bad thing really), but I am clearly not. Like you, I DO sell things, but buy MUCH more. I like collecting the way I do, and it might be considered more of an obsession than an actual hobby.

When I saw Dinesh's comment about Harbinger #1 a while back, I didn't need to be told twice what I had to do. So I bought a TON of Harbinger-related books to slab, collect, and sell. This obsession is NOT cheap, and in order for me to continue to have the ability to buy the art and books that I love, money must be a consideration. That and general life I suppose... :?

I think now and in the near future we will see a HUGE divide between the casual collector and the obsessed collector. Some people are very happy that after 25 years Valiant books are EXPLODING in demand and value. Others seem to BITTERLY resent this, and have been attacking (both passively and directly) anyone who appears to be capitalizing on the money aspect of recent Valiant news.

I suppose it somehow makes these nay-sayers feel as if they are somehow more pure and true to to the heart of Valiant Collectorism (word???) and that people like me are some fly-by-night greed vampire who will never appreciate Valiant like they do.
I think that guy who called you a *SQUEE* on facebook came off as a much bigger dick. There's been way too much whining in that group lately.
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

That is an amazing piece of art right there.

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

I think now and in the near future we will see a HUGE divide between the casual collector and the obsessed collector.
I think that's true. There's a dealer here who operates a website only, and does a few shows. He has a warehouse full of comics. I often visit and buy from him. He tells me he largely only sells keys and expensive silver Marvel, with a larger focus on condition. That's what people want, and is a shift from collecting runs. I feel like the NM of the 80s is very different than the NM of today, largely due to the CGC 9.8.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

nycjadie wrote:
I think now and in the near future we will see a HUGE divide between the casual collector and the obsessed collector.
I think that's true. There's a dealer here who operates a website only, and does a few shows. He has a warehouse full of comics. I often visit and buy from him. He tells me he largely only sells keys and expensive silver Marvel, with a larger focus on condition. That's what people want, and is a shift from collecting runs. I feel like the NM of the 80s is very different than the NM of today, largely due to the CGC 9.8.
Yes. There is a % of buyers at shows that only want 9.8 condition.

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Elveen wrote:
nycjadie wrote:
Yes. There is a % of buyers at shows that only want 9.8 condition.
I don't usually buy less than 9.8; unless it's a key like Hulk 181, FF 1, Avengers 4, etc.

I would also buy a Bloodshot 0 Plat in 9.0 just have a copy, and my Unity Golden Ticket won't be a 9.8 either.

But for most things I'm a bit of a 9.8 snob. :oops:

ilzuccone

Post by ilzuccone »

DirtbagSailor wrote: Some people are very happy that after 25 years Valiant books are EXPLODING in demand and value. Others seem to BITTERLY resent this, and have been attacking (both passively and directly) anyone who appears to be capitalizing on the money aspect of recent Valiant news.
Dude! i only have about 15 books to complete my vh1 run! they are the "money" books. they all have quadrupled in price over night :lol:

people who are bitter need to go take a pill. I say sell your books for as high as you can! I'll just sit it out and hope the storm passes. :thumb:

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

I see no issue in only buying 9.8s, but it can be a bit of a fool's errand to try to find 9.8s in the wild. Especially for copper and bronze.

One thing I often tell those types of buyers is , "I'd imagine most of the 9.8s in the wild have already been slabbed."
I'm not saying they don't exist, but for the amount of times books get handled at a show, most 9.8s are gone.
Maybe I'm wrong.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

ilzuccone wrote:
DirtbagSailor wrote: Some people are very happy that after 25 years Valiant books are EXPLODING in demand and value. Others seem to BITTERLY resent this, and have been attacking (both passively and directly) anyone who appears to be capitalizing on the money aspect of recent Valiant news.
Dude! i only have about 15 books to complete my vh1 run! they are the "money" books. they all have quadrupled in price over night :lol:

people who are bitter need to go take a pill. I say sell your books for as high as you can! I'll just sit it out and hope the storm passes. :thumb:
Yes to this.

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

Elveen wrote:I see no issue in only buying 9.8s, but it can be a bit of a fool's errand to try to find 9.8s in the wild. Especially for copper and bronze.

One thing I often tell those types of buyers is , "I'd imagine most of the 9.8s in the wild have already been slabbed."
I'm not saying they don't exist, but for the amount of times books get handled at a show, most 9.8s are gone.
Maybe I'm wrong.
I'm a 9.8 snob now too. I've always been funny about condition, but now that a 9.8 can get slabbed in a pretty holder, that's sort of my grail. I recognize I can't get one for everything, even modern stuff. Try getting 9.8s in VEI variants. REALLY HARD if not impossible. I'm going to write an article on it. The VEI variants arrive in terrible condition. This is especially true for the smaller print runs, and the later issues. The early issues seem to generally be better. I might reduce my holy grails to 9.4 for VEI books simply because the condition is crap. Nintendo issues? My goal is to get them all in 9.6 or better, and even then, I'm not sure it's possible. For Gold Key, I'm happy with an 8.5 or higher.

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

nycjadie wrote:[

I'm a 9.8 snob now too. I've always been funny about condition, but now that a 9.8 can get slabbed in a pretty holder, that's sort of my grail. I recognize I can't get one for everything, even modern stuff. Try getting 9.8s in VEI variants. REALLY HARD if not impossible. I'm going to write an article on it. The VEI variants arrive in terrible condition. This is especially true for the smaller print runs, and the later issues. The early issues seem to generally be better. I might reduce my holy grails to 9.4 for VEI books simply because the condition is crap. Nintendo issues? My goal is to get them all in 9.6 or better, and even then, I'm not sure it's possible. For Gold Key, I'm happy with an 8.5 or higher.
Don't even get me started on Nintendo book! :o :o :o

All I want is a full 1990 run of LOZ 1-5 in 9.8. Seems like an easy task, but... :|

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

ilzuccone wrote: Dude! i only have about 15 books to complete my vh1 run! they are the "money" books. they all have quadrupled in price over night :lol:
This.

and...

"This movie *SQUEE* is stupid! I paid $.32 for every pre-unity issue in NM+/M condition at a flea market in Montana and wouldn't pay more than $1 per issue now. I hate people with jobs and money. I'm a huge Valiant fan though..."

Or

"What happened? Why is everyone buying Valiant books all of a sudden? I don't think there is anything special about them. They're great. But people who buy them are annoying..."

Or

"I've only had 25 years to collect my VH1 full run while prices were low. Now that people actually give a *SQUEE* I'm bitter that I procrastinated to *SQUEE* long and now might have to pay $45 for one of the 5 hot keys right now. Stupid money... ...I'm going to go back to driving my school bus and crying about life and the collection that can NEVER be..."

ilzuccone

Post by ilzuccone »

DirtbagSailor wrote:
ilzuccone wrote: Dude! i only have about 15 books to complete my vh1 run! they are the "money" books. they all have quadrupled in price over night :lol:
This.

and...

"This movie *SQUEE* is stupid! I paid $.32 for every pre-unity issue in NM+/M condition at a flea market in Montana and wouldn't pay more than $1 per issue now. I hate people with jobs and money. I'm a huge Valiant fan though..."

Or

"What happened? Why is everyone buying Valiant books all of a sudden? I don't think there is anything special about them. They're great. But people who buy them are annoying..."

Or

"I've only had 25 years to collect my VH1 full run while prices were low. Now that people actually give a *SQUEE* I'm bitter that I procrastinated to *SQUEE* long and now might have to pay $45 for one of the 5 hot keys right now. Stupid money... ...I'm going to go back to driving my school bus and crying about life and the collection that can NEVER be..."
:lol: :lol: :lol: so funny

paradise
Major Valiant-supporting retailer
Major Valiant-supporting retailer
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar, Unity
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Bart Sears

Post by paradise »

That piece is amazing. I almost got it, also. Emailed Court about it, only to find out it was just sold. So, it's not your consolation prize. My page was my consolation price for not buying THIS page :)
Edward
COLLECTOR'S PARADISE Stores:(Canoga Park, Pasadena, North Hollywood)
7131 Winnetka Ave - Canoga Park, CA - 91306 - 818-999-9455
319 S. Arroyo Parkway - Pasadena, CA - 91105 - 626-577-6694
5118 Lankershim Blvd - NoHo, CA - 91601 - 818-980-BOOK
http://ComicsAndCards.net

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

paradise wrote:That piece is amazing. I almost got it, also. Emailed Court about it, only to find out it was just sold. So, it's not your consolation prize. My page was my consolation price for not buying THIS page :)
:lol: What I love about this hobby and group of people is that there are enough gems to share with everyone else, and we appreciate each other's collections. It's a lot of fun. This will be the jewel of my collection. I can't afford the V1 Unity 1 cover, but I can afford this.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

:high-five:

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

nycjadie wrote:
paradise wrote:That piece is amazing. I almost got it, also. Emailed Court about it, only to find out it was just sold. So, it's not your consolation prize. My page was my consolation price for not buying THIS page :)
:lol: What I love about this hobby and group of people is that there are enough gems to share with everyone else, and we appreciate each other's collections. It's a lot of fun. This will be the jewel of my collection. I can't afford the V1 Unity 1 cover, but I can afford this.
What's wild is that every time one of these covers pop up for sale or for auction, we either know who got it, who almost got it, or who we were bidding against!