Book of Death:The Fall of Harbinger #1 Preview

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre
Book of Death:The Fall of Harbinger #1 Preview

Post by agent_graves »

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/09/25/ ... t-preview/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
#StayValiant

Aomalle27
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 90s
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite title: XOmanowar
Favorite writer: ?
Re: Book of Death:The Fall of Harbinger #1 Preview

Post by Aomalle27 »

Ewe; that artwork is horrible. If I didn't enjoy Dysart's writing so much I'd skip the book altogether. What's with the bad art recently? Ninjak vs Fakir was awful; Unity 21 was bad.... Dead Drop was awful art in 3 & 4 (not to mention the awful story). Maybe the good artists are tied up in BoD? (The preview art for Wrath of ETernal Warrior looks rough too, hoping they fix that before December)

Brapbrap
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Sunlight On Snow
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Raul Allen

Post by Brapbrap »

Aomalle27 wrote:Ewe; that artwork is horrible. If I didn't enjoy Dysart's writing so much I'd skip the book altogether. What's with the bad art recently? Ninjak vs Fakir was awful; Unity 21 was bad.... Dead Drop was awful art in 3 & 4 (not to mention the awful story). Maybe the good artists are tied up in BoD? (The preview art for Wrath of ETernal Warrior looks rough too, hoping they fix that before December)
you listed some of the best artists to work for valiant. it seems like you hate anything that isn't generic house style with gradient coloring.

It's great that Valiant are releasing books with actual unique art styles, their lineup used to get a lot of criticism for having so few books with good art.

bobby97801
Favorite character: X-O Manowar

Post by bobby97801 »

Brapbrap wrote:
Aomalle27 wrote:Ewe; that artwork is horrible. If I didn't enjoy Dysart's writing so much I'd skip the book altogether. What's with the bad art recently? Ninjak vs Fakir was awful; Unity 21 was bad.... Dead Drop was awful art in 3 & 4 (not to mention the awful story). Maybe the good artists are tied up in BoD? (The preview art for Wrath of ETernal Warrior looks rough too, hoping they fix that before December)
you listed some of the best artists to work for valiant. it seems like you hate anything that isn't generic house style with gradient coloring.

It's great that Valiant are releasing books with actual unique art styles, their lineup used to get a lot of criticism for having so few books with good art.
+1

putz
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: X-0

Post by putz »

It's great that Valiant are releasing books with actual unique art styles,
+2
Every accomplishment starts with the decision to try.
-- Unknown

agent_graves
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

Aomalle27 wrote:Ninjak vs Fakir was awful
Actually, that fight hasn't took place yet. Issue #9 :D
#StayValiant

Aomalle27

Post by Aomalle27 »

Brapbrap wrote:

Actually what I hate is going from comic art in one issue to bad Q&W art the next, to lazy "Groo" art the next. No consistency, which irritates me. Dr Mirage was different, but a consistent style; as was Shadowman End Times.

Aomalle27

Post by Aomalle27 »

agent_graves wrote:
Aomalle27 wrote:Ninjak vs Fakir was awful
Actually, that fight hasn't took place yet. Issue #9 :D
My bad; I meant La Barbre, was looking ahead to Fitzy and Fakir. Wondering if Fitzy is tied into Fitzhugh (Silk's henchman)

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

There are certain art styles I do prefer as a reader and fan.

However, if the story and content are strong; and the overall impact is epic, then my personal feelings about the art can be set on the back-burner. I REALLY like Ivar, Timewalker right now, though I would much prefer Pere Perez or Clayton Henry to handle the art for each issue. Clayton Crain on Rai is what I like to see, and it's difficult to imagine a different look for the series; yet he won't paint this book forever, and someone new will come along. LaRosa does Bloodshot better than anyone, but many artists get their shot on the book.

It is not realistic for one artist or one style to stay on a title for years at a time, so we get different artists and styles from issue to issue. Valiant plays "Money-Ball" with industry talents and gambles in the process; this is good, because it keeps things fresh and interesting.

I suspect that The Fall of Harbinger will be as epic, insightful, and significant as any book we have seen. The characters are simply too important, and the potential is simply too great. This book might not look like what fans are expecting, but will likely contain pieces to the Valiant Universe that impact everything.

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

I don't see anything wrong with the art, but I can see why some might not like it. In the end a great story will trump any issue I have with art in a book anyway, and I wouldn't expect anything less than a great story from Dysart. :thumb:
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Aomalle27

Post by Aomalle27 »

This art is radically different from other Harbinger stuff; which is my point. The Barbinger books have to this point been "photorealistic" (it's comics, so the term isn't exactly right, but in the realm of comic art its apt).... Whereas this preview art is...Calvin and Hobbs ish. Comics are a visual medium, you can't deny that fact. As so; art will always be an integral part of the storytelling. And while artists come and go, the template style shouldn't change that radically. Lie field vs McFarlane vs Pere Perez vs
Francavella on Spider-Man, while noticeably different; they won't be radically different. And certainly the expectation of an artist finishing an arc on a title shouldn't be that hard?! Look at Ninjak 6 vs 7; totally different; Unity 21 vs 22 (last two issues of War monger arc) Radically different, to the point of being distracting. While I agree story is penultimate; Art certainly plays a major factor in the enjoyment as well. Else why not just go the novel route instead of comics?

paradise
Major Valiant-supporting retailer
Major Valiant-supporting retailer
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar, Unity
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Bart Sears

Post by paradise »

DirtbagSailor wrote: I suspect that The Fall of Harbinger will be as epic, insightful, and significant as any book we have seen. The characters are simply too important, and the potential is simply too great. This book might not look like what fans are expecting, but will likely contain pieces to the Valiant Universe that impact everything.
Fantastic issue. One of the best so far in the whole BoD series. Can't wait for X-O.
Edward
COLLECTOR'S PARADISE Stores:(Canoga Park, Pasadena, North Hollywood)
7131 Winnetka Ave - Canoga Park, CA - 91306 - 818-999-9455
319 S. Arroyo Parkway - Pasadena, CA - 91105 - 626-577-6694
5118 Lankershim Blvd - NoHo, CA - 91601 - 818-980-BOOK
http://ComicsAndCards.net

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)

Post by jeremycoe »

paradise wrote:
DirtbagSailor wrote: I suspect that The Fall of Harbinger will be as epic, insightful, and significant as any book we have seen. The characters are simply too important, and the potential is simply too great. This book might not look like what fans are expecting, but will likely contain pieces to the Valiant Universe that impact everything.
Fantastic issue. One of the best so far in the whole BoD series. Can't wait for X-O.
That's saying a lot. BoD has been so good!
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.