Ninjak #8 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
Ninjak #8 Discussion

Post by BugsySig »

I liked this issue better than the last two. The art was excellent, too.

Fitz could be a cool character down the line. A real "Secret Weapon" if you know what I mean :wink:

And the threads of the different stories are starting to come together; from the main story, to the flashbacks, to the secret files. One of my favorite Ninjak issues thus far other than the Roku story.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

QUARTZ
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Re: Ninjak #8 Discussion

Post by QUARTZ »

It was interesting how the fight went down, a cool way of breaking out of the A-B-C storytelling mode. Fitz's ties to Silk were interesting as was the character himself, not sure what Silk was really trying to accomplish....another super soldier? I really enjoyed the back story as well but it was kind of unbelievable. Broken back surviving on morning dew? Still a cool story. Ninjak is definitely one of my favorite Valiant titles right now.

jxm640
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: GIN-GR
Favorite title: Rai
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by jxm640 »

QUARTZ wrote:It was interesting how the fight went down, a cool way of breaking out of the A-B-C storytelling mode. Fitz's ties to Silk were interesting as was the character himself, not sure what Silk was really trying to accomplish....another super soldier? I really enjoyed the back story as well but it was kind of unbelievable. Broken back surviving on morning dew? Still a cool story. Ninjak is definitely one of my favorite Valiant titles right now.
Surviving on morning dew is possible, as your body needs water etc far more than it needs food. So, I imagine he could survive a week or two (post training) solely on morning dew.

I agree with you on the broken back bit (hyperbole?)

Otherwise, it was a good issue.
This is what happens when you try to work...

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

I like how Kindt structured this issue, we got Fitz origin, which takes place after the fight, that we don't see, but we definitely feel the impact through the art and dialogue, which was really on point this issue. And of course Ninjak uses that moment to slip one in on Fitz while his guard was down, that was done smoothly. I like Fitz, hopefully Kindt has some long term plans for him beyond this arc.
#StayValiant

Brapbrap
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Sunlight On Snow
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Raul Allen

Post by Brapbrap »

why is ninjak even after these guys?

Kannon is obviously a security threat, and Sanguine was a part of his operation, but La Barbe is just a rich recluse and Fitzy has literally done nothing wrong.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

A really good issue, I enjoyed the story structure a lot. The back story to Fitz was great, as was the incremental budge in his childhood storyline. Super art all around.

I also like the tie-ins we see to the Fall of Ninjak story, where he has developed a mental ability to heal serious injuries and stave off illness, and his army of Fitzes.

Dallow Spicer1
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Before Ninjak launched I doubted this character could hold his own ongoing, however, (and I'm pleased to say) Kindt proved me wrong. I've really enjoyed all 8 issues including back up stories and I hope this series goes past 25 issues as it feels like Kindt really enjoys writing this character.

Excellent story and art x2 - 4/5 :thumb:

Stringer
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?

Post by Stringer »

It's my favorite valiant book right now tbh, Kindt is hitting all the right notes with the storytelling. The way he's been oscillating seamlessly between past and present within each issue has been really awesome.
Brapbrap wrote:why is ninjak even after these guys?

Kannon is obviously a security threat, and Sanguine was a part of his operation, but La Barbe is just a rich recluse and Fitzy has literally done nothing wrong.
Yeah Fitz is cool guy, I'm guessing MI-6 will make him an asset after they realize he's one of the good guys.

Aomalle27
Valiant fan since: 90s
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite title: XOmanowar
Favorite writer: ?

Post by Aomalle27 »

This was a solid main story; focusing more on Fitzy than anything else; but it also delves a bit into world building showing a bit of the power players in the universe. Dr Silk and his obvious organization; while Weaponeer seems much more potent than how they were represented in VH1 (door to door weapon sales). Didn't like the art in the backup story; strange since issues 1-7 art was strongest in the backup story. Will have to see who was on art duties.

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

The issue started really well for me, by seemingly inverting the premise of taking down the Shadow Seven 'villain of the month', only for Kindt to play safe and keep to his rigid structure. Sigh.

This arc (in terms of lead story) has not felt so much like having any forward movement, but instead a series of points that seemingly have to be checked off. The Fitz story was the best part so far, especially in setting up a potentially compelling character and the Dr. Silk call-back, but then that gets ploughed over by being compartmentalised into a very rigid structure - something I have been getting bored with over in Unity.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

BugsySig wrote:...
Fitz could be a cool character down the line. A real "Secret Weapon" if you know what I mean :wink:
I hope the character is picked up. I further hope he is picked up by another writer, I am increasingly tiring of Kindt's approach, sorry to say.

Shadowman99
Favorite title: XO Manowar

Post by Shadowman99 »

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I'm a bit behind on my reading at the moment so hey.

Really enjoying Ninjak at the moment, but the whole recovering from a broken back with mind-power and impossible bodily control is really pushing things a bit far now I think :roll: Still, explains how Ninjak can recover from being kicked through a wall by Warmonger... Seems like a real convenient Get Out of Jail Free card to me for Ninjak from here on out though, like he can basically recover from any injury that isn't to his head just using willpower alone if he really has to, which is just a damn bit far-fetched :| Could lead to some fairly cheesy situations in the future.

Really need to get that one off my chest.

:rant:

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

Shadowman99 wrote:Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I'm a bit behind on my reading at the moment so hey.

Really enjoying Ninjak at the moment, but the whole recovering from a broken back with mind-power and impossible bodily control is really pushing things a bit far now I think :roll: Still, explains how Ninjak can recover from being kicked through a wall by Warmonger... Seems like a real convenient Get Out of Jail Free card to me for Ninjak from here on out though, like he can basically recover from any injury that isn't to his head just using willpower alone if he really has to, which is just a damn bit far-fetched :| Could lead to some fairly cheesy situations in the future.

File it along with Gilad crashing through a skyscraper without going splat, which was Kindt also, right? :?

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

leonmallett wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I'm a bit behind on my reading at the moment so hey.

File it along with Gilad crashing through a skyscraper without going splat, which was Kindt also, right? :?
Er, dunno! Must happen in an issue I've not caught up with yet, so I'll look forward to that :lol:

At least we can cut Gilad some slack due to his 'powers' as bestowed by Earth. Ninjak's just a 'regular' human at the end of the day, with or without Undead Monk training, and I'm not buying 'can recover from all wounds with the power of the mind'
:|

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

Shadowman99 wrote:
leonmallett wrote:

Er, dunno! Must happen in an issue I've not caught up with yet, so I'll look forward to that :lol:

At least we can cut Gilad some slack due to his 'powers' as bestowed by Earth. Ninjak's just a 'regular' human at the end of the day, with or without Undead Monk training, and I'm not buying 'can recover from all wounds with the power of the mind'
I am with you on Ninjak, but Gilad does seem to be written with staggeringly differing levels of resilience.

The Gilad thing was a year or two ago (Armor Hunters?).

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

leonmallett wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:
leonmallett wrote:

I am with you on Ninjak, but Gilad does seem to be written with staggeringly differing levels of resilience.

The Gilad thing was a year or two ago (Armor Hunters?).
Oh right, well in that case it's simply faded from memory! :lol:

Have to agree, it wasn't until Wrath:EW that I think Gilad's level of resilience has really been nailed down. I think that until now it's been obvious that he's tough, but it's only been since Wrath that it's come to light that he actually can die, even if it is just temporarily. Even then, that's still got a few holes in it... Like when Darque impaled him all over during BoD: he could get up from that and recover. What I'd like to know is, what happens if he gets dismembered in any way? Can he regrow limbs somehow? What if he got decapitated or turned into a pancake by falling from an incredible height: how would he recover from that???