X-O Manowar #41 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium
X-O Manowar #41 Discussion

Post by DirtbagSailor »

My published review of X-O Manowar #41

Spoiler free.

http://all-comic.com/2015/x-o-manowar-41/

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada
Re: X-O Manowar #41 Discussion

Post by BugsySig »

Wow, there was a lot of tension in this issue. Usually the decompression on XO drives me crazy, but despite the events of Exodus taking place in the span of only a few minutes/hours, I'm really enjoying this story. Hopefully the finale doesn't wrap up too quickly, though, after three issues to set up the final confrontation.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

BugsySig wrote:Wow, there was a lot of tension in this issue.
I'll grant you that, I always feel anxiety with these type of 'misunderstanding' sequences.

But there has to be a way for each issue to span more than 20 minutes of time. The pace is very frustrating.

QUARTZ
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by QUARTZ »

It was definitely a tension filled issue, where Aric is rushing back and forth trying to appease everyone and avoid war , and had some real world parallels, but it was a really quick read and I'm not really sold on the art.

Donovan
...formerly The Beyonder
...formerly The Beyonder
Valiant fan since: Unity. The first time.
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: VEI Quantum & Woody
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Romulo Fajardo

Post by Donovan »

The Only The Valiant podcast nailed it. You can see every character's viewpoints and the justifications for their actions. It's a masterstroke by Venditti imo.

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr36/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is hands down one of the best XO Manowar issues I've ever read. I loved the tension. LOVED the art.

tiredofmyself
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: 2015
Favorite character: Kris Hathaway
Favorite title: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti

Post by tiredofmyself »

Although what's wrong with Lady Colonel's eyes though? First it's one of them, then she couldn't open both of them. She should see a dentist for that asap

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Great issue! Really enjoying the return of Trill and his plot to cause a human v Vine war.

For the last few issues Aric's eyes have appeared black (Vine like?) and in this issue the Planting also had black eye balls? Now, I also noticed that this artist doesn't seem keen on drawing open eyes (bit like Liefeld and feet) as often the characters had their eyes inexplicably closed!

Could this indicate Aric is changing due to his body becoming part armour....or it's just artistic preference! :?

Muy bien 4/5 :thumb:

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

Overall a pretty solid issue. Glad to see that Aric actually has more diplomatic solutions to problems - something I think was very slow to happen in the first few arcs.

I am hoping that the Vine find a place somewhere either on Earth or within the solar system and are not somehow annihilated.

I also hope that trill will survive the arc to threaten Aric again in the future - VEI needs more good recurrent 'villains'.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

leonmallett wrote:Overall a pretty solid issue. Glad to see that Aric actually has more diplomatic solutions to problems - something I think was very slow to happen in the first few arcs.

I am hoping that the Vine find a place somewhere either on Earth or within the solar system and are not somehow annihilated.

I also hope that trill will survive the arc to threaten Aric again in the future - VEI needs more good recurrent 'villains'.
He seemingly will definitely survive as he's in Fall of XO and outlives Aric. I've said in another post that this is possibly an issue for the BOD/Fall of books as we now know characters won't be killed off?

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
leonmallett wrote:Overall a pretty solid issue. Glad to see that Aric actually has more diplomatic solutions to problems - something I think was very slow to happen in the first few arcs.

He seemingly will definitely survive as he's in Fall of XO and outlives Aric. I've said in another post that this is possibly an issue for the BOD/Fall of books as we now know characters won't be killed off?
Not all of us have yet been able to read BoD, since we are waiting on LotG books to read the whole. I am trying to avoid BoD spoilers, thanks.

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

leonmallett wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:

Not all of us have yet been able to read BoD, since we are waiting on LotG books to read the whole. I am trying to avoid BoD spoilers, thanks.
Just letting you know then... the BoD story, the LotG story, and the Fall of stories, are all totally separate with no real connection between them so far. You could safely read the BoD 1-4 books and not be spoiled on, or missing, or needing anything that is shown in the LotG books. (Well, I can't say for sure that issue #4 of each doesn't have some connection yet, but so far there's been no indication that they're going to 'cross the streams'.) If you're only waiting till this Wednesday to have them all, then your wait is almost over anyway, but if you haven't been able to get the LotG books at all then I'd advise not waiting on them to read the BoD books as they have so far been totally unrelated stories besides both being in the Valiant shared universe.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

Blood of Heroes
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.

Post by Blood of Heroes »

Phoenix8008 wrote:
leonmallett wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:

Just letting you know then... the BoD story, the LotG story, and the Fall of stories, are all totally separate with no real connection between them so far. You could safely read the BoD 1-4 books and not be spoiled on, or missing, or needing anything that is shown in the LotG books. (Well, I can't say for sure that issue #4 of each doesn't have some connection yet, but so far there's been no indication that they're going to 'cross the streams'.) If you're only waiting till this Wednesday to have them all, then your wait is almost over anyway, but if you haven't been able to get the LotG books at all then I'd advise not waiting on them to read the BoD books as they have so far been totally unrelated stories besides both being in the Valiant shared universe.
I agree with Leonmallet's sentiment about keeping spoilers out of unrelated books. However, what Phoenix8008 said is 100% dead on. BOD has nothing to do with LotG which has nothing to do with the "Fall of" books.
If anything, the "Fall of" books spoil the ongoing titles. But I guess that's the point. :?

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

leonmallett wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:

Oops! Apologies mate :oops:

I've only shelled out for LOTG #1 but I've cracked on reading BOD and the Fall Of books. I've resigned myself to the fact it might be a while (or never) before I read the LOTG books.

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
leonmallett wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:

Oops! Apologies mate :oops:

I've only shelled out for LOTG #1 but I've cracked on reading BOD and the Fall Of books. I've resigned myself to the fact it might be a while (or never) before I read the LOTG books.
No worries, it is just a frustration that thanks to what I regard as a crass gimmick by VEI, all my BoD reading has been waiting for LotG soince I am avoiding all BoD and LotG threads for fear of spoilers - the downside is that knowledge of connectedness or otherwise is missed by me (and any others waiting on their BoD reading until they get their LotG packages kindly offered by Ed), since we are avoiding the books until then!

bribri
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.

Post by bribri »

leonmallett wrote: No worries, it is just a frustration that thanks to what I regard as a crass gimmick by VEI, all my BoD reading has been waiting for LotG soince I am avoiding all BoD and LotG threads for fear of spoilers - the downside is that knowledge of connectedness or otherwise is missed by me (and any others waiting on their BoD reading until they get their LotG packages kindly offered by Ed), since we are avoiding the books until then!
I understand the frustration and completely understand the desire to wait. However, I strongly recommend you read the BoD books without waiting for LotG. There is no connection between the two really. I suppose legacy and indirect connections, but nothing about the specific stories. My apologies if this is a spoiler, but if you don't read the BoD series, then you're not going to be able to read some of the ongoing monthlies from this point forward. Again, LotG is pretty isolated.

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

bribri wrote:
leonmallett wrote: No worries, it is just a frustration that thanks to what I regard as a crass gimmick by VEI, all my BoD reading has been waiting for LotG soince I am avoiding all BoD and LotG threads for fear of spoilers - the downside is that knowledge of connectedness or otherwise is missed by me (and any others waiting on their BoD reading until they get their LotG packages kindly offered by Ed), since we are avoiding the books until then!
I understand the frustration and completely understand the desire to wait. However, I strongly recommend you read the BoD books without waiting for LotG. There is no connection between the two really. I suppose legacy and indirect connections, but nothing about the specific stories. My apologies if this is a spoiler, but if you don't read the BoD series, then you're not going to be able to read some of the ongoing monthlies from this point forward. Again, LotG is pretty isolated.
Thanks for the info. :thumb:

No spoilers there (to me a spoiler is a story beat, and your post was a helpful overview). :thumb:

Phoenix8008
Favorite character: Aric

Post by Phoenix8008 »

bribri wrote:
I think I see what he means now, that I didn't catch onto before. What's he's actually meaning isn't that he's choosing to wait to read them, but that he doesn't have any of them yet to be able to read them, and is waiting for them all to arrive since the only way he (and others) were able to get the LotG books was to order a combo pack from Ed at Paradise that contains all the BoD and LotG books together. So, not waiting by choice, but due to circumstance.

Lemonmallet, are you also waiting to receive the 'Fall of' books too?
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

Phoenix8008 wrote:
bribri wrote:
I think I see what he means now, that I didn't catch onto before. What's he's actually meaning isn't that he's choosing to wait to read them, but that he doesn't have any of them yet to be able to read them, and is waiting for them all to arrive since the only way he (and others) were able to get the LotG books was to order a combo pack from Ed at Paradise that contains all the BoD and LotG books together. So, not waiting by choice, but due to circumstance.

Lemonmallet, are you also waiting to receive the 'Fall of' books too?
I am getting those, but plan to read the whole thing in one hit once LotG arrives.