My pull list is really short now...

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Captain Craig
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: XO Manowar/Shadowman
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: tough one
Re: My pull list is really short now...

Post by Captain Craig »

Post Convergence and well after nu52 relaunch my DC pulls are nearly non-existent. Post Secret Wars and as of now my Marvel Pulls will also be down(still haven't heard if they are relaunching the titles I was supporting yet). Marvel is going to suffer the most for their cancel/reboot to #1 from my pocket. Either due to the crappy reboot to #1 method or lack of announcing a character is back. I'm so, so over this reboot to #1 nonsense. Yeah, I'm old school and numbers, big numbers I like on my books. They don't care, I won't either...at least month to month.

Marvel:
Howling Commandos(LMD Dugan, Man-Thing, Vampire by Night etc)

DC:
Aquaman
Martian Manhunter

VALIANT:
ALL 9 titles

Archie/Dark Circle:
Black Hood
Fox
Shield
Hangman
The Web('16 launch)

Dark Horse:
Barb Wire
King Tiger

IDW:
TMNT
Onyx

I was getting Moon Knight, Punisher, Black Widow, Ant-Man, Spider-woman, Spiderman 2099 and Deathlok.
I know A-M is getting a new title but when they do 5 issues and cancel to reboot I'm *SQUEE* off. So I'll trade wait A-M now.
Preggers Spiderwoman...no thank you and I'm just going to trade wait SM2099 this round also. I'm going to trade wait the Swamp Thing and Firestorm 6ish mini-series as well.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

I barely buy any Marvel or DC, but my pull list is healthier & more robust than it has ever been, I think. I buy plenty of Image series, the odd DarkHorse or IDW book, & all Valiant. Really, there is a ridiculous range of quality non-superhero comics being produced now. I'm glad to see it, I think comics as a medium have always had so much potential to be more than just mediocre men-in-tights tales. Don't get me wrong, I love superhero stuff - but Valiant is my go-to universe for that flavour of comic.

I was never a huge DC fan (mainly enjoyed Batman, Doom Patrol, Deathstroke, L.o.S.H. & Suicide Squad the most over the years). I did try out a number of series with the New52 relaunch, but slowly petered out on them a couple years back. I currently only pick up Green Arrow because Patch Zircher is on the book.

I dropped all Marvel at the Marvel NOW! reboot, and while that was hard to get used to (was a big Marvel Zombie since childhood), I don't miss reading new material anymore as it all looks like a wild mass of unintelligible & impenetrable goo that doesn't resemble anything I was a fan of. The mega-corporate marketing machine steering the company wheel is very obvious & apparent to me, and that irritates me to no end.

I do pick up the main Star Wars comic & Darth Vader, I enjoy them on their own merits so far, and I also buy Howard The Duck because the writer was an old aquaintance of mine in college & I like seeing him doing well.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

grendeljd wrote:I barely buy any Marvel or DC, but my pull list is healthier & more robust than it has ever been, I think. I buy plenty of Image series, the odd DarkHorse or IDW book, & all Valiant. Really, there is a ridiculous range of quality non-superhero comics being produced now. I'm glad to see it, I think comics as a medium have always had so much potential to be more than just mediocre men-in-tights tales. Don't get me wrong, I love superhero stuff - but Valiant is my go-to universe for that flavour of comic.

I was never a huge DC fan (mainly enjoyed Batman, Doom Patrol, Deathstroke, L.o.S.H. & Suicide Squad the most over the years). I did try out a number of series with the New52 relaunch, but slowly petered out on them a couple years back. I currently only pick up Green Arrow because Patch Zircher is on the book.

I dropped all Marvel at the Marvel NOW! reboot, and while that was hard to get used to (was a big Marvel Zombie since childhood), I don't miss reading new material anymore as it all looks like a wild mass of unintelligible & impenetrable goo that doesn't resemble anything I was a fan of. The mega-corporate marketing machine steering the company wheel is very obvious & apparent to me, and that irritates me to no end.

I do pick up the main Star Wars comic & Darth Vader, I enjoy them on their own merits so far, and I also buy Howard The Duck because the writer was an old aquaintance of mine in college & I like seeing him doing well.
I'm loving the SW comics, as I predicted I would. These guys (Gillen and Aaron) along with Remender made the X-Men franchise the best it ever was in decades. *SQUEE* and I do mean *SQUEE* that reboot. Those books were damn good and I don't forgive Marvel for that.
But SW, IMHO, is being very well handled so far. I'm reading the main series, Vader and bought the Leia mini- VERY Fun stuff!!!!
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

Marvel has nearly alienated me as a reader beyond repair with 15 years of cancellations and reboots, and renumberings and bla bla bla. The only reason I even ordered Iron Man this time around was because Bendis is on it, but his recent praising of Gilleon's incredibly, incredibly stupid "Secret Origin of Tony Stark" arc has me worried.

If you don't know what that is, in a nut shell, Tony's "origin" has been retcon'd so that he was never actually the son of Howard and Maria Stark (even though he... you know... looks just like Howard), but rather was a genetic experiment by a throw-away Marvel character called the Recorder, and was adopted by the Starks. There's more, but God... to even recite it...

No, I'm not against adoption. But this was dumb the way that the Human Torch in the new FF movie was dumb.

wokuya
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: the beginning
Favorite character: Shadowman

Post by wokuya »

Honestly, with all of the events, wars, incursions, reboots, retcons, & etc., I often find myself wondering about Marvel super-heroes: "When do they have time to go to the bathroom?"

Or even, when they do have to go, can they find the bathroom or has it been retconned away?

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Plus with all re-numberings I think Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D is now the longest running book with 9 issues currently published and chances are it will get restarted later.

The only Marvel book I've buying is Miracleman and why Marvel restarted it is beyond me. It didn't need a restart when Gaiman took over at Eclipse and IIRC his full run is currently only 8 complete issues and one unpublished issue (using the original numbering I think it was #25) and from I read according to Gaiman and/or Buckingham it just needed to be colored and/or printed.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

String

Post by String »

IMJ wrote:Marvel has nearly alienated me as a reader beyond repair with 15 years of cancellations and reboots, and renumberings and bla bla bla. The only reason I even ordered Iron Man this time around was because Bendis is on it, but his recent praising of Gilleon's incredibly, incredibly stupid "Secret Origin of Tony Stark" arc has me worried.

If you don't know what that is, in a nut shell, Tony's "origin" has been retcon'd so that he was never actually the son of Howard and Maria Stark (even though he... you know... looks just like Howard), but rather was a genetic experiment by a throw-away Marvel character called the Recorder, and was adopted by the Starks. There's more, but God... to even recite it...

No, I'm not against adoption. But this was dumb the way that the Human Torch in the new FF movie was dumb.
No, that was Arno Stark who was the genetic experiment, not Tony. Gillen achieved something rare these days in comics, he added to a character's origin without changing it. Tony is still the son of Howard and Maria Stark, yes, he's adopted but now the question is, who are his true parents? Given his personality quirks, Tony has, of course, been avoiding/running from the truth but seems this plot line will be picked up in the new title.

Although I wish it was Gillen picking it up (thoroughly enjoyed his run) instead of Bendis. Knowing Bendis, he will reveal Tony's real parents as some form of stupid retcon between two characters that would make little sense (as he did in his atrocious handling of the X-franchise by revealing that Xavier and Mystique were once married).

As for myself, I've been reading more DC of late:

The Flash
Superman
Justice League
Justice League of America
Superman/Wonder Woman
Green Lantern
GL: the Lost Army

With Marvel, I've become burned out over Secret Wars and wish they would just move on. I've read quite a few of the #1s of the SW tie-in series but haven't felt invested enough in most of them to continue reading them. Post-SW, Lemire is set to take the reins of the X-Men, so the X-line of books haven't looked this interesting in quite some time.

Reading every Star Wars title that Marvel is publishing and haven't been disappointed so far, some really excellent titles here.

As for the rest, of course, I read the majority of VEI (except Q&W), Usagi Yojimbo, and Lazarus. I trade-wait on all of IDW's Doctor Who series.

Captain Craig

Post by Captain Craig »

As an addendum to my post on this page I'm toying with the idea of picking up Black Knight and Hercules from Marvel when they debut. A large part of me wants to wait for the trade. Another part of me likes to explore the lesser appreciated characters. I'm a bit indifferent w/no real loyalty to either character but curious at both getting ongoings, especially Black Knight. Hercules did get a solo run about 5 years back when he took over the Incredible Hulk book post WWH and it ran for about 16-18 issues with Amadeaus Cho.

Savant
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Savant »

My pull-list has always been erratic. Currently, it goes like this:

East of West
Imperium
Rai
Lazarus
Velvet
The Fade Out
Sidekick
Ivar, Timewalker
Jupiter's Legacy
The Dying & the Dead

Minis:
Sandman: Overture
Book of Death
Secret Wars

Trades/Hardcovers:
Invincible Ultimate Collection hardcover line
Miracleman hardcovers
Jupiter's Circle tpb

I just bought the Invisibles Omnibus (I think it might take me more than a week to read that one), along with the Annihilator hardcover (Morrison), and Top Ten trade (Moore).....And I'm thinking of getting the Star Wars: Kanan & Green Lantern: Lost Army hardcovers whenever they're released, as they both look interesting. What little I skimmed through of the Star Wars line I haven't been too into (Granted, didn't give them a full read, so it wasn't much of a chance), but Kanan looks pretty good.

Back to single issues, I might pick up some Marvel or DC titles from the new line-ups, but I'll have to see what the titles are, as well as the creative teams. So far, I don't remember anything catching my fancy!......And I just dropped IXth Generation due to Sejic leaving the title. His artwork was a large part of what made the book appealing (Somewhat similar to Crain being on Rai), and I'm pretty sure I won't be able to get into the series without him.......I'm almost always more into writers than artists, but IXth Generation & Rai are exceptions, where the art is equally as important as the writing, if not more.

Thomas
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Gilad Anni-Padda

Post by Thomas »

Valiant:
Ivar, Timewalker
Imperium
Unity
Ninjak
All of Book of Death (except LOG)
Bloodshot: Reborn
Rai
X-O Manowar

IDW:
The Maxx: Maxximized

Image:
Rumble

Thinking about getting the german publication of Star Wars.

I actually started reading comics with DCs new 52. I read Scott Snyders Swamp Thing and Jeff Lemires Animal Man and Justice League Dark. But after they replaced the writers on the titles I lost interest.
I am really disappointed with DC and Marvel right now.

whovian
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter

Post by whovian »

My list consists of:

All Valiant titles (and I echo the dissatisfaction over the whole Legends of Geomancer marketing)
Rocket Girl (waiting months for each issue is killing me)
All things Archie floppy (Archie, Archie Horror and Dark Circle)
Sidekick
Dream Police
Star Trek (only because I love all things Trek)
Star Wars (only out of desperation for something to read, but I'm going to be dumping these during the next three months)

I was thinking about dropping comics altogether soon, but thanks to DCBS cheap prices I'm giving all the new Vertigo titles a go, Huck, Self Storage, and Black Bag. I just got into Double Take and was blown away by their launch -- that's going to keep me into comics for the foreseeable future.

The lack of interesting comics also led me to take the plunge into pulp heroes. I've always liked Doc Savage, so now I've gotten into The Shadow, The Avenger, Black Bat, etc. I recommend Sanctum Press to anyone interested in pulps. They can be found in Previews.

My thanks to people on this board for recommending Dark Circle -- I am very grateful!

wokuya
Valiant fan since: the beginning
Favorite character: Shadowman

Post by wokuya »

A few months ago, for the first time ever since I started ordering comics using Previews, I ordered nothing from Marvel. In November, I will order nothing from DC. Never thought either would happen...

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

wokuya wrote:A few months ago, for the first time ever since I started ordering comics using Previews, I ordered nothing from Marvel. In November, I will order nothing from DC. Never thought either would happen...
Once Secret Wars concludes, the only book I get from either will be Astro City, so I know that feeling. Milestone will change that, but done with the DCU and MU monthlies.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

whovian wrote:My list consists of:

All Valiant titles (and I echo the dissatisfaction over the whole Legends of Geomancer marketing)
Rocket Girl (waiting months for each issue is killing me)
All things Archie floppy (Archie, Archie Horror and Dark Circle)
Sidekick
Dream Police
Star Trek (only because I love all things Trek)
Star Wars (only out of desperation for something to read, but I'm going to be dumping these during the next three months)

I was thinking about dropping comics altogether soon, but thanks to DCBS cheap prices I'm giving all the new Vertigo titles a go, Huck, Self Storage, and Black Bag. I just got into Double Take and was blown away by their launch -- that's going to keep me into comics for the foreseeable future.

The lack of interesting comics also led me to take the plunge into pulp heroes. I've always liked Doc Savage, so now I've gotten into The Shadow, The Avenger, Black Bat, etc. I recommend Sanctum Press to anyone interested in pulps. They can be found in Previews.

My thanks to people on this board for recommending Dark Circle -- I am very grateful!
I thought Rocket Girl was canceled? Is it not? That's great if true.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Captain Craig

Post by Captain Craig »

DC
I'm a big fan of Aquaman but when it hits #50 I plan on dropping it. Not cause I'm disliking it but cause it's part of shift towards titles I feel I can catch up later, cheaper in TPB. Also, he's become a character I now feel DC will always cycle a new title for, even if he's fallow for a few years. His public opinion is up and he's a stalwart icon of the company being a JLA founder.

I tried Martian Manhunter, big fan of Ostrander's 90's run, but this opening arc has done nothing for me. I will stop at #6 due to poor opening direction.

Basically, once Aquaman concludes for me come April '16 w/#50 I'll not be getting any DC books monthly.

Marvel
As a huge Man-Thing fan I'm going to try Howling Commandoes of SHIELD. I'm not wild about the entire cast make-up of the title but I'm in for an arc.
I'm likely to get Moon Knight.
I'm going to look at Hercules, Black Knight, Black Widow and Punisher as potential gets. The last two are almost a lock but I should move those to TPB(we'll see). The prior 2 I want to try but I opted out of Doctor Strange so who knows how my mood will go.

Dark Horse
King Tiger ends next week with #4
Barb Wire ends in Feb with #8
So, pending any announcements this will conclude their latest Super Hero revival...come on DH!!

Archie(Dark Circle)
Black Hood
The Fox (on hiatus)
Shield
Hangman
The Web(debuts Dec)

I feel that Archie's Dark Circle debut's this year have been as strong and are reminiscent of VALIANT 2012 relaunch year. Solid fare.

VALIANT
All monthly floppy titles, mini or ongoing

IDW
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
I know I should relegate this to TPB now but damn, it's just so good!!

nscc
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite title: X-O/Harby/A+A/Unity
Favorite writer: Vditti/Dysart/FVL/Kindt
Favorite artist: soo many pretty pictures...

Post by nscc »

Now just getting all Valiant titles, Batman, TWD, invincible, Outcast and Paper Girls.

The image books may end up being next but for now I'll keep getting the 3 Kirkman titles and will try out BKVs paper Girls.

$ spent on comics is one reason but also space!! With what I'm getting now I'll hopefully only add 1 more shortbox a year or so.
Where are we going and why am I in this hand-basket?

Aomalle27
Valiant fan since: 90s
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite title: XOmanowar
Favorite writer: ?

Post by Aomalle27 »

Picking up
Valiant Rai
Imperium
Xo manowar
Ninjak (may drop)
Book of Death

IDW. Ragnarok (on hiatus)
Rocketeer (new mini later this year)

Dark Circle. The Black Hood
The Fox
The Shield
The Hangman ( can't recommend this title enough, opening issue amazing)