What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by jeremycoe »

I read Bone with my almost 10 year old daughter a few years ago. We both enjoyed it. The color version might be best for your daughter.
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

ilzuccone
Valiant fan since: VEI

Post by ilzuccone »

mkb28 wrote:
caxiotis wrote:
mkb28 wrote:
caxiotis wrote:Started reading Bone for the first time. Really enjoying it. About one and a half books in. Great stuff

Hello Chris:

Didn't you bind a set of Bone books? I have always heard that Bone is a good read for both adults and kids. Would a soon to be 11 year old girl (my daughter) have any interest in this book?

Thanks,

Michael
I didn't bind a set, but have the one volume color version. I would say an 11 year girl would love this series. I feel that it us for all ages, but best for kids your daughters age
Thanks, Chris! :thumb: I meant to send that question as a PM and I hit the wrong button, so I just ran with it. facepalm Thought some other "Bone" fans could chime in too.

Michael
Mkb28
I read through the first trade. it's not bad but it wasn't my thing. thought it would be.

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

jeremycoe wrote:I read Bone with my almost 10 year old daughter a few years ago. We both enjoyed it. The color version might be best for your daughter.
Thanks, Jeremy! :thumb: We have been reading "HeroBear and the Kid" and she has not been impressed with the black and white art with minimal red color, so I think you are right on to buy the color version for her.

Thanks again! :)

Michael
Mkb28

String
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by String »

Boom! just released the first issue of George Perez's new creator title, Sirens. With the recent eye troubles he's been having and the resultant corrective surgery, it's great seeing him back to his top form.

Stan Sakai continues to impress with Usagi Yojimbo: Senso. Two issues in and yes, there are Martian Walkers stumbling around, but there's also plenty of the drama and characterization you'd expect from a master like Sakai. Terrific work so far.

Comixology has a sale on Gotham Central, one of those titles that I've never read yet have always heard Great Things About. So I bought a chunk of that to see for myself.

cjv
A Valiant Vision-ary
A Valiant Vision-ary
Valiant fan since: Shadowman #1
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Shadowman (VH1)

Post by cjv »

My daughter, now eleven, loved the series. She has read it multiple times.

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

As a bus driver, I've seen kids get on the bus with copies of various Bone trade paperbacks they have borrowed from the school library, so it seems that quite a few kids are into it.

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.

Post by ShadowTuga »

String wrote:Boom! just released the first issue of George Perez's new creator title, Sirens. With the recent eye troubles he's been having and the resultant corrective surgery, it's great seeing him back to his top form.

Stan Sakai continues to impress with Usagi Yojimbo: Senso. Two issues in and yes, there are Martian Walkers stumbling around, but there's also plenty of the drama and characterization you'd expect from a master like Sakai. Terrific work so far.

Comixology has a sale on Gotham Central, one of those titles that I've never read yet have always heard Great Things About. So I bought a chunk of that to see for myself.
George Perez.
Sakai.
Gotham Central.

Post of the day. :thumb:

In all seriousness,
I'm very happy for Mr. Perez turn of luck. Amazing creator, and sounds/reads like a very humble person and all-around gentleman. I hope his own thing with Boom! to be a respectable hit.

Have yet to read Senso #2, but loved the first issue. Loved it.

I think Gotham Central is Awesome, personally. You made a great deal, but you'll probably end up chasing the collections. :D
It's that kind of good. :hm: We need more Great "regular cop" adult comics...
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

Good to know, CJV and Brother J. :thumb: What first book do you guys recommend to start reading "Bone?" keep on mind, I think she would like to color version better than B&W.

Thanks,

Michael
Mkb28

Brother J

Post by Brother J »

mkb28 wrote:Good to know, CJV and Brother J. :thumb: What first book do you guys recommend to start reading "Bone?" keep on mind, I think she would like to color version better than B&W.

Thanks,

Michael
Mkb28
I think you could go with this series by Scholastic:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bookseries/B00 ... B00CJ3MTZA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The One Volume is overly large and in black and white, so probably not the best choice for kids.

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

Brother J wrote:
mkb28 wrote:Good to know, CJV and Brother J. :thumb: What first book do you guys recommend to start reading "Bone?" keep on mind, I think she would like to color version better than B&W.

Thanks,

Michael
Mkb28

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bookseries/B00 ... B00CJ3MTZA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The One Volume is overly large and in black and white, so probably not the best choice for kids.
Thanks for the recommendation! :thumb:

Michael
Mkb28

caxiotis
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Valiant fan since: 1991
What comics are you reading now?

Post by caxiotis »

mkb28 wrote:
Brother J wrote:

Thanks,

Michael
Mkb28

Michael
Mkb28
Don't read the Rose prequel first. Read after the whole Bone series, then Rose
Pull List: I only buy TPB's, HC's and Hellboy comics

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

caxiotis wrote:
mkb28 wrote:
Brother J wrote:

Thanks,

Michael
Mkb28

Michael
Mkb28
Don't read the Rose prequel first. Read after the whole Bone series, then Rose
Sounds good, Brother! :thumb:

Mkb28

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

I felt like re-reading something quick, but good. Pride of Baghdad.
ASM Crossover Home

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Harley Quinn #5-10 Some good, but not great, stuff the issue where Harley flings bags filled with cat and dog poo at DC's NYC headquarters was priceless though. Just a lot of fun, if DC would let the creators go nuts Harley could be the DC version of Deadpool.

Batwoman #26-#32 and Batwoman: Future's End #1 overall I think the new creative team has done a huge pile of meh. Mostly because this books feels like it's trying to be Batman-lite. Kate's first meeting Jamie was weak and stupid and the fact that she has no more than 2 pages to bond with her is equally weak and to later say that she loves Jamie as her own daughter feels weird and out of place. The return of Kate's ex-girlfriend from Westpoint is built up but goes nowhere fast. The new villains of Wolf Spider, Killshot, and Night-Thief are all great henchmen (and the secret identity of Wolf Spider is one those it's so obvious that they're going have to change it just too say "fooled you" to the readers) but that is all they are henchmen. The blood money that Wolf Spider throws into a swamp feels like a set up for Solomon Grundy to show up.
Maggie thinks that Kate might be suffering from PTSD and tells her to go see a shrink and she does reluctantly and this leads to Kate
Kane's choice to end her relationship with Sawyer which is borderline stupid. Also I highly doubt that Maggie's homophobe ex-husband would ever agree to the deal Kate that made with him because how would he even know that Kate honors her part of the deal and vice versa. Then there is Noctura a vampire who seduces rich men and kills them for their money after her latest victim is murdered by Killshot in a botched attempt to kill her and during a melee with Batwoman, Killshot, Night-Thief, and Noctura in which Kate's mask comes off and Noctura sees her face Night-Thief is killed and Noctura is knocked into the river. Later Noctura sees a picture of Kate on a newspaper and bites her at new place.

Then we have the Batwoman: Future's End one-shot which Red Alice (Kate's former evil and crazy twin sister) in a life and death battle with Kate who is now an evil powerful vampire. Kate tries to kill Maggie but Red Alice saves her and then she throws a group of second string mystic and monsters at her and Kates mows down most (or all) of her former teammates including (and I'm guessing here on the first two here because the story doesn't tell me their names): the Ragman, Clayface, and Jason Blood/The Demon. Red Alice finally pins Kate to side of a building with a silver net and then Kate begs for forgiveness and Red Alice frees her and then she charges at her and Red Alice stakes her in the heart and she crumbles into dust and Red Alice, with tears in her eyes says goodbye Kate.

I don't know how to feel about any of this it seems that ever good idea that Marc Andreyko and equally bad one is given. The story often feels rushed and major plot holes are left like how Maggie forgot to tell Kate that Jamie was visiting her, one would think that is something one would tell your finance' and what was the point of those coins that the Wolf Spider stole? The plots do hang together better than Williams and Blackman's did and they don't feel like arcs so much but the writing is a major step down where the Williams/Blackman issues are dense and challenges the reader to follow along here it's the same as every other DC comic with nothing special about it. The art likewise is good but not great as Williams or even Trevor McCarthy and Amy Reeder. It's simply does the job. That is I guess my problem with this new creative team I think this is a case of them and DC giving the readers what they wanted instead of what they needed. If haven't read Batwoman before please don't start here because this is a series that doesn't have a clue of what it wants to be and I get a sense that Andreyko is trying to please everybody and ends up pleasing no one with this big old pile of meh except for Batwoman: Future's End that issue is just plain awful and has no redeeming qualities.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

caxiotis

Post by caxiotis »

Finished Bone and loved it 4/5

Now reading Lost Dogs by Lemire. It's a quick read and I am halfway through it. Digging the art and how it adds to the story

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

The Transformers: Dark Cybertron #1 Pretty good.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

caxiotis

Post by caxiotis »

Finished Lost Dogs by Lemire and thought it was a 4/5. I loved the mix of art with the feel of the story. A very fast read though.

Now reading Rose by Smith.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Did anyone pick up Copperhead #1 from Image comics a few weeks back? It's a sci-fi western by Jay Faerbers & Scott Godlewski.

I just got around to reading it last night, really great book - particularly like the energetic gesture & creative design put into all the aliens by Scott. I'll be picking up this series at least through the first story arc to see where it goes.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

String

Post by String »

Finished reading the 'Half a Life' arc from Gotham Central. Very well-done, the mystery, Montoya's personal angst, and I've always loved Harvey's obsession with her. In fact, I've enjoyed Rucka's handling of Montoya ever since 52. I liked her taking over the mantle of the Question. Shame that Nu52 did away with all that.

How new reader-friendly is Invincible? I've been reading some of Tech Jacket which has been fun and saw that he was part of the Invincible line-up. I'd read the first Invincible TPB volume many moons ago and I thought it was decent. But I didn't know how easily one could just jump into the title.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

String wrote:Finished reading the 'Half a Life' arc from Gotham Central. Very well-done, the mystery, Montoya's personal angst, and I've always loved Harvey's obsession with her. In fact, I've enjoyed Rucka's handling of Montoya ever since 52. I liked her taking over the mantle of the Question. Shame that Nu52 did away with all that.

How new reader-friendly is Invincible? I've been reading some of Tech Jacket which has been fun and saw that he was part of the Invincible line-up. I'd read the first Invincible TPB volume many moons ago and I thought it was decent. But I didn't know how easily one could just jump into the title.
You can jump into it, but it's worth it to read from the beginning...... Especially if you already like tech jacket. You have to read the first three trades and work through the average art at the beginning to get to the awesomeness, but it's the best super hero book out there.
ASM Crossover Home

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

grendeljd wrote:Did anyone pick up Copperhead #1 from Image comics a few weeks back? It's a sci-fi western by Jay Faerbers & Scott Godlewski.

I just got around to reading it last night, really great book - particularly like the energetic gesture & creative design put into all the aliens by Scott. I'll be picking up this series at least through the first story arc to see where it goes.

I did and I remember enjoying it, but I don't remember a damn thing about it now. Not a good sign.
ASM Crossover Home

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Nail biter vol 1. Good suspense/horror story. I'll continue in trades. There's no way I'd read this as singles.
ASM Crossover Home

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

400yrs wrote:Nail biter vol 1. Good suspense/horror story. I'll continue in trades. There's no way I'd read this as singles.
Cool! I have this trade coming with my next DCBS shipment. :thumb:

mkb28

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

God hates astronauts #2. Hilarious.
ASM Crossover Home

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Wytches 1 - pretty damn interesting

Copperhead 2 - I liked it

Birthright 1 - I liked it enough to try the next issue

Punks 1 - I couldn't make it through this trite

Whatever the new book by siminson is - Valhalla or whatever it's called. Sucked.

Pirouette 1 - interesting, but Millar will crap out on it so why bother with more.
ASM Crossover Home