Unity Golden Ticket books?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that
Unity Golden Ticket books?

Post by Elveen »

So I was talking up Valiant to a guy at the AZ Fan Fest this last weekend and he told me, (he brought it up) that he has a Unity Golden Ticket. He told me that he got it off ebay from a dude who did not know. He told me that he was looking for one for a loooooong time and just saw it in the scan on ebay.

I asked him if he has ever posted about it here and he said no.

Do "we" know how many have been claimed?

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Re: Unity Golden Ticket books?

Post by jmatt »

Elveen wrote:So I was talking up Valiant to a guy at the AZ Fan Fest this last weekend and he told me, (he brought it up) that he has a Unity Golden Ticket. He told me that he got it off ebay from a dude who did not know. He told me that he was looking for one for a loooooong time and just saw it in the scan on ebay.
I dunno. Those sound like some pretty long odds. But I guess it's possible.

jaspersk
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by jaspersk »

Do you know which one? Was thinking of
Buying up all the copies of the ones that
Havent been found from midtown
To see if i get lucky. If a starwars
Vader down 1:4999 is worth
3-7000$ what are the
1:68500 golden ticket unity books
Worth???

Aomalle27
Valiant fan since: 90s
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite title: XOmanowar
Favorite writer: ?

Post by Aomalle27 »

does the "golden ticket upc box" really justify calling it a rare variant? I don't think so; there are literally thousands of covers like it, but a mere "you win" disclaimer makes it valuable? I don't see it holding value in say 5, 10 years.... now an error cover?! like the bloodshot platinum,...

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

I did extensive research about this a while back, and found that (at the time) only 3 had been found. The Rivera and Hitch Golden Tickets had still not been accounted for.

I would ask him for a scan, and also if it is the Rivera or Hitch cover.

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Aomalle27 wrote:does the "golden ticket upc box" really justify calling it a rare variant? I don't think so; there are literally thousands of covers like it, but a mere "you win" disclaimer makes it valuable? I don't see it holding value in say 5, 10 years.... now an error cover?! like the bloodshot platinum,...
You might be right. There is very little reason why a small detail such as gold in a logo, price on a cover, or anything slightly different about a cover than the normal print run should have any bearing whatsoever on the market value of a books.

Additionally, there is almost zero reason why a CGC 9.9 of a given book should sell for more than a CGC 9.8 (or 9.6) since there are hundreds and thousands of raw copies with the same art in circulation.

If I had to guess, I suppose it might be that people place high value on the rare and/or exclusive (as defined by the market itself). Additionally, (I speculate) that a large number of collectors value what they have a high possibility not obtaining. I (speculating again) don't think that a raw copy of the regular edition will work for most as a consolation prize, though I could be wrong.

jaspersk

Post by jaspersk »

Didnt black mask just copy valiant with some sort of
Golden ticket? Vader down 1:4999 is a sketch of a
Really stupid cover and its 3-7k i get its star wars but
All those books are crap. Its hard to say with unity
But i wouldnt mind taking my chances long term. At the
Very least its a unique item. Will the dynamite ltd to
50 virgin covers ever be $$$ will these lousy small companies
Like black mask, stranger and their ltd to 100 books ever
Be worth anything prob not. If i were to buy a gold
Ticket id do so because i love valiant their characters
Stories and most of the time the art. A art project painted
Dog runs 900 a painted duck, cat about 400 all unique
Probably a better buy. But the golden ticket book to me
Is a great buy. bragging rights as well. Im still kicking myself
For not going to fpnyc. Oh well that book ended up in good
Hands deserving hands. Would love also to one day buy that
Crazy expensive set of penguins that pops up every year

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

Never having seen one, I'm curious how they were made? I can see that for instance the text "PULLBOX EDITION" has been replaced by "#UNITYGOLDENTICKET" in gold, but not how it was done. Has a printed comic been altered (whiteout?) or is it a unique print from the printer?

/Magnus

chriskay99
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Location: The surrounding metropolitan area of Los Angeles, CA

Post by chriskay99 »

magnusr wrote:Never having seen one, I'm curious how they were made? I can see that for instance the text "PULLBOX EDITION" has been replaced by "#UNITYGOLDENTICKET" in gold, but not how it was done. Has a printed comic been altered (whiteout?) or is it a unique print from the printer?

/Magnus
My guess is they pulled out the 5 copies from the existing press run and just ran them through another printer to add the Golden Ticket text. I've seen many jobs in my graphic design life that had to be something X'd out or have information added, and there are many ways to run them through a press again.
Black Science. Lazarus. Birthright. Saga. Manifest Destiny. Deadly Class.

Aomalle27

Post by Aomalle27 »

DirtbagSailor wrote:
Aomalle27 wrote:does the "golden ticket upc box" really justify calling it a rare variant? I don't think so; there are literally thousands of covers like it, but a mere "you win" disclaimer makes it valuable? I don't see it holding value in say 5, 10 years.... now an error cover?! like the bloodshot platinum,...
You might be right. There is very little reason why a small detail such as gold in a logo, price on a cover, or anything slightly different about a cover than the normal print run should have any bearing whatsoever on the market value of a books.

Additionally, there is almost zero reason why a CGC 9.9 of a given book should sell for more than a CGC 9.8 (or 9.6) since there are hundreds and thousands of raw copies with the same art in circulation.

If I had to guess, I suppose it might be that people place high value on the rare and/or exclusive (as defined by the market itself). Additionally, (I speculate) that a large number of collectors value what they have a high possibility not obtaining. I (speculating again) don't think that a raw copy of the regular edition will work for most as a consolation prize, though I could be wrong.
Well the exclusivity of the item has to do with the prize, not the comic itself. With the chromium error bloodshot, the exclusivity comes from the error itself and the attempted correction of said error with recall; however some did make it out into the market. The only thing different with the golden ticket books is the upc,....as to the grading comment; thats just silly. Apples and oranges comparison. Grading has to do with the actual condition of the book...there's obvious depreciable value in a good condition versus pristine.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

I absolutely see it holding value, just not to the general collecting public. But to guys like us? Completionists? Absolutely.

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Aomalle27 wrote:
DirtbagSailor wrote:

Well the exclusivity of the item has to do with the prize, not the comic itself. With the chromium error bloodshot, the exclusivity comes from the error itself and the attempted correction of said error with recall; however some did make it out into the market. The only thing different with the golden ticket books is the upc.
Actually, the exclusivity of the both items is that they are different than the regular run (both literally and perceivably different). I own both a BS Plat and a Unity Golden Ticket, and looking at them they both have physical features that are simply not available on the regular runs. The prize does not seem to be a selling point by people asking to buy (and there are more than a few) as they seem mostly interest in the exclusivity and one-of-kind nature of the book. As a matter of fact, this discussion is the first time I've read someone trying to even suggest any different.

You could call a Golden Ticket a mermaid, and debate all day. It's still not a fish-person and the general Valiant community sees it as a rare/exclusive book.
Last edited by DirtbagSailor on Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:16:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

DirtbagSailor wrote:You could call a Golden Ticket a mermaid, and debate all day. It's still not a fish-person and the general Valiant community sees it as a rare/exclusive book.
Exactly.

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

Considering the time to redeem the golden ticket has expired, the prize is irrelevant.

DBS, can you confirm whether the cover stock of the Golden Ticket book is the same? My understanding is that those were on the heavier stock that they use for incentive variants. That would suggest they were printed entirely separately.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

Aomalle27

Post by Aomalle27 »

DirtbagSailor wrote:
Aomalle27 wrote:
DirtbagSailor wrote:

Well the exclusivity of the item has to do with the prize, not the comic itself. With the chromium error bloodshot, the exclusivity comes from the error itself and the attempted correction of said error with recall; however some did make it out into the market. The only thing different with the golden ticket books is the upc.
Actually, the exclusivity of the both items is that they are different than the regular run (both literally and perceivably different). I own both a BS Plat and a Unity Golden Ticket, and looking at them they both have physical features that are simply not available on the regular runs. The prize does not seem to be a selling point by people asking to buy (and there are more than a few) as they seem mostly interest in the exclusivity and one-of-kind nature of the book. As a matter of fact, this discussion is the first time I've read someone trying to even suggest any different.

You could call a Golden Ticket a mermaid, and debate all day. It's still not a fish-person and the general Valiant community sees it as a rare/exclusive book.
I don't see that blanket statement "the general valiant community" as true. Are there completists that will pay for those 4 golden ticket books? maybe, but that's a small group. Average valiant fan? not a chance, let alone general comic community. Bloodshot platinum has a proven value thats held up for 20+ years among valiant fans and the overall comic community. Only time will tell wether you or I are right. I guess we'll just revist this subject in five years.

doodlebird
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Harbinger / A & A
Favorite writer: was Shooter
Favorite artist: Lapham, Starlin, Henry, and...

Post by doodlebird »

To be honest i'd rather have a golden ticket than a platinum. The sheer number of that bloodshot issue is huge, where the print run of these golden ticket books are small. Also there is only 5 and each one is different. More platinum could also still be found, the max golden is 5. So I guess comes down to what you want in your rarities. I hope they stay cheaper and less in demand as well as I want one (and I would get is signed), unfortunately my budget is not allowing for that purchase right now. facepalm
read me, HC/TPB me; sign me, sketch me, slab me.
S.SAHLE

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

doodlebird wrote:Also there is only 5 and each one is different.
This is reason enough to own one, it's all about the rarity...
#StayValiant

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

kjjohanson wrote:Considering the time to redeem the golden ticket has expired, the prize is irrelevant.

DBS, can you confirm whether the cover stock of the Golden Ticket book is the same? My understanding is that those were on the heavier stock that they use for incentive variants. That would suggest they were printed entirely separately.
It's been some months since I physically held a raw copy, but I do recall the stock being thick.

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Aomalle27 wrote:I don't see that blanket statement "the general valiant community" as true. Are there completists that will pay for those 4 golden ticket books? maybe, but that's a small group. Average valiant fan? not a chance, let alone general comic community. Bloodshot platinum has a proven value thats held up for 20+ years among valiant fans and the overall comic community. Only time will tell wether you or I are right. I guess we'll just revist this subject in five years.
Perhaps debating is what gets you going. Who knows. I'm not trying to win a pointless debate when I know for a fact that the interest and market is there. Also you (very likely) have not had the same discussions I have had about these books with high-end collectors.

But I will say that at no point did I state that the average Valiant fan would be willing to pay for a copy; the average Valiant fan is typically not willing to pay for a graded book at all, as is true with most of the comicbook community. Me? I've seen more than enough discussion here and elsewhere about these to know what's good on the topic.

What I do know is that the Golden Tickets will each sell for significantly more than a regular pullbox copy, and that the average Valiant fan (if given the change) would pick the Golden Ticket over a regular pullbox copy any day of the week. But we don't need to wait five years. in just over two months the market will decide what the value is.

I suppose you could go and debate with the folks over at Pintrest.

Magnus9178
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Turok
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Ron Marz

Post by Magnus9178 »

DirtbagSailor wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:Considering the time to redeem the golden ticket has expired, the prize is irrelevant.

It's been some months since I physically held a raw copy, but I do recall the stock being thick.
You are absolutely correct, it is a thick cover stock used on the golden ticket copies. They are very distinctive from the regular prints.

Dino once said that if the other two Golden Tickets were found that the finder should still contact VEI as they may still try to do something for them. This of course only extends to the 2 missing copies and not if the books ever change hands from the original finder.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

agent_graves wrote:
doodlebird wrote:Also there is only 5 and each one is different.
This is reason enough to own one, it's all about the rarity...
Exactly. Not only is there a ridiculously small number, within that set each one is unique unto itself.