Anyone else play MTG?

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Rubiks-Q-Bert
Deathmate: Opinions vary. I liked it.
Deathmate: Opinions vary.  I liked it.
Favorite character: Master Darque
Anyone else play MTG?

Post by Rubiks-Q-Bert »

Recently (Week after Shadows Over Innistrad) got back into the game. Played back in 2000-2001, had just shy of 10,000 cards. Sorted by color, set, alphabetized, etc. Different time in my life, dated a girl who had some drug issues, woke up to my collection gone one day. So I just quit. Current GF got me back into it and now I work at the local nerd store and play there.

I don't do much with standard, although I like opening packs so I still buy a few boxes. I like building modern decks and I have 2 other jobs so all the nerd store money goes into my decks.

I have 2 modern decks so far and going to start a third next month. Black/Green elves which gets pretty stupid. So many elves on the field.

Mono-White built aroundOdrich, Lunarch Marshal. It's actually just a knight deck with him thrown in for insurance. I've beat some decks pretty swiftly with it that I wasn't able to beat with my elves. Going to play it tomorrow for the first time in the tournament.

Next deck is Melira, Sylvok Outcast + Persist based. I originally just wanted to use her to counter a poison deck that shows up in the tournament every once in awhile. My gf also just built a poison/proliferate deck that is gonna murder me without Melira.

We have a weekly modern tournament that I play in. Usually sit in the top 5 out of 16 or so. Nothing to brag about but it's fun. Sometimes get involved in drafts. We will be doing a Eternal Masters draft next weekend. Debating on that one. Mainly geared toward Commander and Legacy and I don't do much with those.

So, anyone else play? Share your decks?

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Re: Anyone else play MTG?

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Yep, I still play now and then too. Been playing on and off since '93. I also had a deck with Melira, Sylvok Outcast, but I combined it with Phyrexian Unlife and called it my 'Highlander Deck'. If you can keep Melira alive and that enchantment going, then you can't be beaten by damage or poison! Not my best deck, but a fun one and since you mentioned Melira, I had to throw it out there.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

Rubiks-Q-Bert

Post by Rubiks-Q-Bert »

Phoenix8008 wrote:Yep, I still play now and then too. Been playing on and off since '93. I also had a deck with Melira, Sylvok Outcast, but I combined it with Phyrexian Unlife and called it my 'Highlander Deck'. If you can keep Melira alive and that enchantment going, then you can't be beaten by damage or poison! Not my best deck, but a fun one and since you mentioned Melira, I had to throw it out there.

Yeah i saw phyrexian unlife as i was building my white deck. It makes for some interesting combos. I'll have to get into a deck in the future with that life swap card.

This is why modern is so fun. Some stupid crazy combos.

cjv
A Valiant Vision-ary
A Valiant Vision-ary
Valiant fan since: Shadowman #1
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Shadowman (VH1)

Post by cjv »

I played in the mid 90s. Sold all my cards (about 5000 or so) for $800. Now they would be worth between $5000 and $10000.

I started playing again about three years ago. Mostly just play casual with friends, and occasional prerelease tournaments. No main decks. My favorite colors used to be blue white control, but now play a little bit of everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rubiks-Q-Bert

Post by Rubiks-Q-Bert »

My Mono-White deck failed miserably... Dead last.

Rubiks-Q-Bert

Post by Rubiks-Q-Bert »

Rubiks-Q-Bert wrote:My Mono-White deck failed miserably... Dead last.
Re-worked my white deck to be indestructible knights. Havent played it in a tournament yet but I will in July. I did however go back to my elf deck and tweaked it quite a bit. Played today, came in second! :o First time doing so well. Managed to beat down a burn deck which I was really proud of.