I'm out.....

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Aomalle27
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 90s
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite title: XOmanowar
Favorite writer: ?
I'm out.....

Post by Aomalle27 »

Well the time has actually arrived. I'm out on Valiant (and probably comics altogether). It's been a possibility for quite some time...but with this lackluster 4001, I've had enough. The magic I was feeling around Armor Hunters has dissappated steadily. This rebooted A&A just doesn't hold a candle to VEI first A&A, Wrath of EW just plain mails it in for me, Imperium ending, XO ending, not digging Faith... Just wanna take this opportunity to thank all the folks on this forum for the great discussions and debates, info and fun, hope the best for all of you.

Aport
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1995
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Bob Layton
Favorite artist: Bob Layton
Re: I'm out.....

Post by Aport »

:popcorn:

Take care brother. I understand.
Selling anything?

Tim
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Tim »

Hey, man, no need to leave the board because you aren't getting the books. I dropped pretty much everything but this is still my home and you guys are still my homies. At least a few regulars aren't reading either and at least two never even picked the up in the first place.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

Tim wrote:Hey, man, no need to leave the board because you aren't getting the books. I dropped pretty much everything but this is still my home and you guys are still my homies. At least a few regulars aren't reading either and at least two never even picked the up in the first place.

Yeah Bro, no reason to leave. I still like watching Hoops and my playing days are long gone.

Aram
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite character: Tie between Flo and Andy
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: The ones that wrote 4 Valiant.

Post by Aram »

Sometimes a break is all you need. Never know what might pop up and suck you back in. :twisted:
It's not that I don't have an avatar... I've just been working on it for the last few hundred years.

chriskay99
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: Shadowman
Location: The surrounding metropolitan area of Los Angeles, CA

Post by chriskay99 »

Hey, I dropped everything after Armor Hunters and I still hang around here. No need to leave the boreds!!!
Black Science. Lazarus. Birthright. Saga. Manifest Destiny. Deadly Class.

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Aomalle27 wrote:...but with this lackluster 4001, I've had enough...
Yea, I hear you. I mean, with 23 critic reviews for 4001 A.D. #1 (21 of which gave 4+ stars out of a possible 5) it's hard to have hope for the future.

4 Stars is less than 5 Stars, and therefore less than perfect in every way. As a result, I agree that we should all dramatically jump ship, abandon our hobby, and stop communicating with each other on the forum. :|

Ricomortis
lookin pu nub in all da wong pwaces
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Shadowman - Harada
Favorite writer: Dysart & Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Larosa, Henry & CAFU

Post by Ricomortis »

DirtbagSailor wrote:
Yea, I hear you. I mean, with 23 critic reviews for 4001 A.D. #1 (21 of which gave 4+ stars out of a possible 5) it's hard to have hope for the future.

4 Stars is less than 5 Stars, and therefore less than perfect in every way. As a result, I agree that we should all dramatically jump ship, abandon our hobby, and stop communicating with each other on the forum. :|
Seems like a lot of negativity towards Valiant and CGC this summer.

Way I see it (like anyone gives a flying flip) is that my life is better off for having the NEW valiant. I still ACTUALLY remember when everyone was begging for NEW material. (and many thought it would never bear fruit or would suck)

Where would this hobby be without people like Dinesh and CGC that are innovative and risk takers?
I don't see the complainers making any contributions to the hobby.

I don't know... It just seems like no matter what.. People are going to be *SQUEE* off.

I think VEI has done an amazing job at innovating and keeping it fresh. Has all of it been home runs? Hell no. But I love how just around the corner could be the next Divinity or Imperium.

Check out my Gallery for this year: A year in the life of Ricomortis (2018) http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... 35&t=50927" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Check out my Gallery for last year: "A year in the life of Ricomortis (2017)" http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... 6#p1056798" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

eschnit
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Favorite character: Master Darque
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter

Post by eschnit »

Ricomortis wrote:
DirtbagSailor wrote:

Seems like a lot of negativity towards Valiant and CGC this summer.

Way I see it (like anyone gives a flying flip) is that my life is better off for having the NEW valiant. I still ACTUALLY remember when everyone was begging for NEW material. (and many thought it would never bear fruit or would suck)

Where would this hobby be without people like Dinesh and CGC that are innovative and risk takers?
I don't see the complainers making any contributions to the hobby.

I don't know... It just seems like no matter what.. People are going to be *SQUEE* off.

I think VEI has done an amazing job at innovating and keeping it fresh. Has all of it been home runs? Hell no. But I love how just around the corner could be the next Divinity or Imperium.

I don't know the OP, but it didn't come across venting as much as maybe personally he's just not into it anymore, at least for now, and so just wanted to say he's appreciated the camaraderie. ie, it's not you, it's me. Seemed like a nice way to say peace out for now. Doesn't come across venting or trolling or talking smack or overly opinionated, just not feeling it anymore. To that, I'd say, thanks for communicating, hopefully you'll be back. This community and Valiant is obviously enhanced by fans/collectors like you Rico and Jesse. Personally, there are so many potential ways VEI is set up to pull you in, I don't think it's necessary for any one thing to work for anyone, including big events that may fall short of expectations for some, like Book of Death or even 4001. We have a whole slew of new titles with huge potential, other media potential (movies anyone?), Lemire, LaRosa, Kindt, Suayan, etc. in tow, Shadowman will be back, X-O will be back. I'm excited for their future. Sometimes folks just aren't feeling anymore, that's more than okay.

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

eschnit wrote:I don't know the OP, but it didn't come across venting as much as maybe personally he's just not into it anymore, at least for now, and so just wanted to say he's appreciated the camaraderie. ie, it's not you, it's me. Seemed like a nice way to say peace out for now. Doesn't come across venting or trolling or talking smack or overly opinionated, just not feeling it anymore. To that, I'd say, thanks for communicating, hopefully you'll be back. This community and Valiant is obviously enhanced by fans/collectors like you Rico and Jesse. Personally, there are so many potential ways VEI is set up to pull you in, I don't think it's necessary for any one thing to work for anyone, including big events that may fall short of expectations for some, like Book of Death or even 4001. We have a whole slew of new titles with huge potential, other media potential (movies anyone?), Lemire, LaRosa, Kindt, Suayan, etc. in tow, Shadowman will be back, X-O will be back. I'm excited for their future. Sometimes folks just aren't feeling anymore, that's more than okay.
I have to apologize for my sarcastic post earlier, as you are correct in that people are free to feel as they do.

My only gripe is was really the highly debatable statement that 4001 A.D. has been sub-par or a disappointment while the critic and user reviews (readers) have been overwhelmingly positive. Leads me to suspect there are other things going on, since (from what I can tell) "lackluster" is very much the wrong word to accurately describe 4001 A.D..

Aram
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite character: Tie between Flo and Andy
Favorite writer: The ones that wrote 4 Valiant.

Post by Aram »

Personally I've never been more excited about what's coming from Valiant. I love the way they are not afraid to try new ideas and I can't wait for the fall lineup.
It's not that I don't have an avatar... I've just been working on it for the last few hundred years.

Ricomortis

Post by Ricomortis »

Wait... I was *SQUEE* about what I was *SQUEE* about! :lol:

No... I'm not talking about the OP... Just in general across the board.

It just seems people want more, better, more, better as if that type of continued success is even possible. It's a roller coaster ride like life. I just take it for what it is and I buy what I like.

I'll take some Dead Drop's to get some Imperium's. JS

I know everyone has different opinions which I respect, I just think sometimes expectations get a little out of hand. This is a comic book business, right?

Then again, I have always followed my own beat... Damned what others think. (That's obvious... What kinda of looney goes for 10 Pre-unity sets?) :screwy:

:P

Rico" 8-) "Mortis

Check out my Gallery for this year: A year in the life of Ricomortis (2018) http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... 35&t=50927" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Check out my Gallery for last year: "A year in the life of Ricomortis (2017)" http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... 6#p1056798" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

People had years to look forward to new material. It's just like a new relationship it's all peaches and pie for the first year maybe two but after that the excitement is gone. I am a run guy I don't like small 4 partners or cancelling a series just to reboot. It's a organisational night mare. But Valiant is still putting out great stuff. Wotew is a prime example and I expect Savage to wow me. As long as Valiant is around I will have comics to read. That and the walking dead.
I Miss the good old days.

Keith
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

Geez... after reading X-O and Bloodshot today, not sure why anyone would want to stop.
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

Elveen
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

Keith wrote:Geez... after reading X-O and Bloodshot today, not sure why anyone would want to stop.
Bloodshot was great. Now on to XO.

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite writer: V-Diddy
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Sven the Returned »

Keith wrote:Geez... after reading X-O and Bloodshot today, not sure why anyone would want to stop.
There are so many great books out there, i can understand people deciding to switch, but i bet new people are also discovering the V.

mateo107
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Obadiah Archer
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Doug Braithwaite

Post by mateo107 »

well, the downside to XO is that it's ending.

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

mateo107 wrote:well, the downside to XO is that it's ending.
As long as Valiant prints books (paper or digital), there will be an X-O. :thumb:

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

Aomalle27 wrote:Well the time has actually arrived. I'm out on Valiant (and probably comics altogether). It's been a possibility for quite some time...but with this lackluster 4001, I've had enough. The magic I was feeling around Armor Hunters has dissappated steadily. This rebooted A&A just doesn't hold a candle to VEI first A&A, Wrath of EW just plain mails it in for me, Imperium ending, XO ending, not digging Faith... Just wanna take this opportunity to thank all the folks on this forum for the great discussions and debates, info and fun, hope the best for all of you.
Ok, i'll add 2 cents to a thread of this kind, AGAIN. :!: I must really be bored.
First, Aomalle27, good luck in your future, sir. I don't see why you have to leave the place, but I kinda get it I guess, specially if you're quitting comics altogether.
Now, that said, lackluster is a strong word to describe 4001 AD; A&A is very entertaining; Wrath has become a great book, after a boring first arc; Imperium, I feel you there- no Dysart in the near future is a big disappointment to me; X-O ending- the same (these were the writers that made me a fan of VEI in the first place); Faith- I haven't read anything from the new series, but I'm one month behind (liked the mini, not great but cool). These are my opinions. Add to that, a kicka** Ninjak book and Bloodshot Reborn and we have a good roster of books atm, imho.
I'm just afraid when there's no X-O and no Dysart-books. That will be weird, after 4 years. :(
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1 (2012)
Favorite character: Ninjak/Woody
Favorite title: Bloodshot/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

I get where those who are sticking with Valiant are coming from (obviously the storytelling is mostly top quality) and where those who are fed up/leaving are coming from.

For me, as I've stated on other board topics, the frustration with Valiant is the lack of a regular title to bank on each month. If we had Ninjak, Bloodshot, Shadowman, XO, Harbinger, Divinity month in month out (like the Big 2 do with their best properties) then I'd be spending much more $$$ on Valiant and less on DC / IDW.

I'm not against changing the name of a book (Reborn, Adventures of..., End times, renegades etc.) or renumbering, I get it, fresh #1's sell more, makes marketing sense. What I don't like is the delay between these new series iterations - for lesser known, lower selling properties, fine, but for the bread and butter properties, I want these each month - that's why I read comics, I want a new story featuring characters I enjoy reading each month... I also don't want to be thinking, like with BS right now, that #17 could spell the end of Reborn with USA replacing it for 4 months which could then lead into a delay before a new Bloodshot #1 hits the stands - what a year latter maybe? Maybe not, but that's Valiant's track record (generalizing here).

Harby, perfect example, man I loved that title, loved Omegas and dug portions of Imperium (but wanted the Renegades and Gen Zero). Now both of those titles are happening, had this occurred 2yrs ago I'd be all over Gen Zero, now, I'm meh, the heat's died off. Harby? Kinda the same, I would've loved to see Renegades directly follow Omegas, while still publishing Imperium. Now? Not sure I'm going to pick it up.

For the moment, I'm into anything Bloodshot, Divinity, and Ninjak - by virtue of the publishing regime, this is far less than what it could have been with a consistent month to month release.
Last edited by Bl00dsh0t on Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:55:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

badlander86
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Valiant fan since: Harbinger Wars
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Various
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Stephen Segovia, Paolo Rivera

Post by badlander86 »

Some people encounter a sense of burn-out in any particular hobby or medium that they've invested some time and money in.

I had my long divorce from Comics at the start of the New 52 with DC and the Bendisification of the Marvel titles some years back and the only title I was pulling monthly was IDW's TMNT (great title by the way). But then I picked up Harbinger Wars on a whim and got hooked back on the comic medium again, as it was meant to be: For the comic book readers.

I've also experienced this burn-out with my other hobbies. I was and probably still am a Trading Card guy with Magic the Gathering being a huge influence on my teen years. So needless to say, I'm a nerd. That said, I was very upset with the direction the game took in the mid/late 90s and I kind of removed myself from the game for years until 3 years ago when I got pulled back in.

It happened to me for Pro-Wrestling. I'm a child of the 90s and the Attitude Era was the hottest thing on TV but after Wrestlemania 18...it kind of petered out and left me wanting something else. But recently with shows like Lucha Underground and New Japan Pro-Wrestling, I've rediscovered my love for wrestling again.

Long story short, take some time off, try other things like manga or anime. Enjoy more social interactions with people with different interests, date, go to work and live out your life as you see fit. Because all these things like comics, wrestling and card games are still going to be here. And if you like what you see, you're always welcomed back to join in.

drmirage
WOW! OMG BBQ! Thats crazy!
WOW! OMG BBQ! Thats crazy!
Valiant fan since: 1990
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by drmirage »

You'll be back

eschnit
Favorite character: Master Darque
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter

Post by eschnit »

Bl00dsh0t wrote:I get where those who are sticking with Valiant are coming from (obviously the storytelling is mostly top quality) and where those who are fed up/leaving are coming from.

For me, as I've stated on other board topics, the frustration with Valiant is the lack of a regular title to bank on each month. If we had Ninjak, Bloodshot, Shadowman, XO, Harbinger, Divinity month in month out (like the Big 2 do with their best properties) then I'd be spending much more $$$ on Valiant and less on DC / IDW.

I'm not against changing the name of a book (Reborn, Adventures of..., End times, renegades etc.) or renumbering, I get it, fresh #1's sell more, makes marketing sense. What I don't like is the delay between these new series iterations - for lesser known, lower selling properties, fine, but for the bread and butter properties, I want these each month - that's why I read comics, I want a new story featuring characters I enjoy reading each month... I also don't want to be thinking, like with BS right now, that #17 could spell the end of Reborn with USA replacing it for 4 months which could then lead into a delay before a new Bloodshot #1 hits the stands - what a year latter maybe? Maybe not, but that's Valiant's track record (generalizing here).

Harby, perfect example, man I loved that title, loved Omegas and dug portions of Imperium (but wanted the Renegades and Gen Zero). Now both of those titles are happening, had this occurred 2yrs ago I'd be all over Gen Zero, now, I'm meh, the heat's died off. Harby? Kinda the same, I would've loved to see Renegades directly follow Omegas, while still publishing Imperium. Now? Not sure I'm going to pick it up.

For the moment, I'm into anything Bloodshot, Divinity, and Ninjak - by virtue of the publishing regime, this is far less than what it could have been with a consistent month to month release.

There's an unfortunate truth to what you're saying, and yet also the necessity for Valiant to play it this way in my opinion. On the one hand, yes, as a fan, everything you're saying about continuous titles is not just justified, but more than that, I totally get it. It's not leaving you wanting more and when it comes back it's more exciting. It's more empty more often than not. With the exception of Shadowman, where I think there's crazy built up hunger, in some other cases it could be true, but more often it's not. Problem is, the Valiant Universe is not all that large or established. They're building it, seeing what works. With only 8-10 titles at a time, which they're doing I think to both manage quality and not potentially fall flat, there's no room for new if the old is clocking in monthly. So we have what we have. For what it's worth, a birdie told me Lemire wrote 25 issues for Bloodshot Reborn before the first one was published, so I think your concern will likely be undone. Also, frankly with all these titles teed up for the next 6 months to a year and then more likely than not a movie to follow, my guess is you'll have an evolution in VEI where whatever your frustrations now, you'll be looking at a different animal in a year's time.

georgiasam
2 posts down, 2 million to go
2 posts down, 2 million to go
Valiant fan since: Since Nintendo days
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: Solar
Favorite writer: Lemire and Kindt
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by georgiasam »

I don't get the scarcasm being used with "Lackluster". People are allowed to not feel the same way about something. Just like the people who feel the need to debate why they like 4001. His reasons for leaving are valid in his mind, and i dont think sarcasm is needed to disagree with the way he feels. It's like if you like vanilla ice cream and I like Chocolate ice cream, but you say Vanilla is better and YOU should like it because the majority of people do. There's a few people in the Valiant community that have placed themselves above other fans. It's become more of a show and tell for who gets this or who has that. It's a "look what I have and now see how awesome I am because I have this" kind of thing. The love for Valiant is still a part of them, but the ego has clouded that enjoyment. This hobby is about respect and enjoying the books and discussing them whether they be negative or positive.

I wouldn't leave the group because I wasn't enjoying a current series. Alot of older fans stuck around through Acclaim years. If that was possible maybe you can make it past the current 4001 books.

Ricomortis

Post by Ricomortis »

georgiasam wrote:I don't get the scarcasm being used with "Lackluster". People are allowed to not feel the same way about something. Just like the people who feel the need to debate why they like 4001. His reasons for leaving are valid in his mind, and i dont think sarcasm is needed to disagree with the way he feels. It's like if you like vanilla ice cream and I like Chocolate ice cream, but you say Vanilla is better and YOU should like it because the majority of people do. There's a few people in the Valiant community that have placed themselves above other fans. It's become more of a show and tell for who gets this or who has that. It's a "look what I have and now see how awesome I am because I have this" kind of thing. The love for Valiant is still a part of them, but the ego has clouded that enjoyment. This hobby is about respect and enjoying the books and discussing them whether they be negative or positive.

I wouldn't leave the group because I wasn't enjoying a current series. Alot of older fans stuck around through Acclaim years. If that was possible maybe you can make it past the current 4001 books.

facepalm so now people are above other fans? I truly haven't seen this. I think EVERYONE contributes in their own way. Some only want digital copies and discuss the stories while others collect the rarest items known. To each his own. I personally would LOVE to see these rare items.

As for them showing them off.... Uhhhh yea... This IS ValiantFans...and where else in the world would I get a chance to see such gems? Local Comic store? Nope don't have one of those within 100 miles.

As for Ego... Who has acted like that? No one I have seen. Even if they did... I wouldn't be booty hurt over it... I would be like, "That is Badass and congrats". All of that just gives Valiant more validation and recognition.

Anyways...

Now all you get back to work....

I got to go count all my new books. :P (I kid....I kid)

Rico"YesmyEnglishwritingisatrotiousbutIdontcare"Mortis