Valiant Dominates 2016 Harvey Nominations

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

JeffBohn
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ninja-K
Favorite title: Ninja-K
Re: Valiant Dominates 2016 Harvey Nominations

Post by JeffBohn »

I thought the article was funny.

Cheating? No. Against the 'spirit' of the awards? Maybe. Nomination process broken? Yes.

Remember when many people complained that Unity 25 was horrible? FOUR TIME HARVEY NOMINATED.

Valiant went 0 for 20 last year. Maybe this will be the year they get one.

They got a lot of press for this, but only partially positive. My opinion is that this will backfire again. I'd rather see a more focused push for a couple 'top of the line' books going forward. I guess we'll find out how it turns out in September.

Psiot X
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 2014
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Rafa Sandoval

Post by Psiot X »

Shadowman99 wrote:This Jude 'Terror' guy, what a loser :lol:

"Valiant sign 5 artists to exclusive contracts per week"... ... ...What?! :lol:

Love that he thinks Valiant fans are rigging everything and anything to do with promoting Valiant.
Turning up to a website to vote for Valiant to win competitions, same as everyone else is allowed to do - cheating
Turning up to Amazon to review trades, same as everyone else is allowed to do - cheating
Totally legit practices, nothing wrong with 'em :thumb:

The only thing that bugging him here in this article is that he
KNOWS Vfans have had no input into the Harvey awards nomination process, so he instead suggests that Valiant itself has cheated. As I said above; if Valiant creators are the only people that got off their arses and cast nominations for the awards when nobody from any other company did then they deserve to dominate the whole thing - fair's fair here :thumb:

And Jude 'Terror'. Seriously :lol: I bet the only terrifying thing about him is his BO.
I wish we fans had that sort of power. LOL! It's like we are now a powerful cult with strange mystical abilities. We will destroy the Illuminati and take over the world... Tom Cruise will join us and front to the public.

I actually applaud the Amazon review push some fans did. It just showed people cared.

If I remember, it wasn't that long ago, that DC Comics started trying to prohibit their talent from taking work with Indie publishers in contracts to keep them off the market and make it harder for smaller companies to compete. There was an article about it somewhere but I can't remember.

Man, I messed that quote box up and am too tired to fix it lol.

Jude Terror
Probably hasn't read a Valiant book.

Post by Jude Terror »

Shadowman99 wrote:This Jude 'Terror' guy, what a loser :lol:

"Valiant sign 5 artists to exclusive contracts per week"... ... ...What?! :lol:

Love that he thinks Valiant fans are rigging everything and anything to do with promoting Valiant.
Turning up to a website to vote for Valiant to win competitions, same as everyone else is allowed to do - cheating
Turning up to Amazon to review trades, same as everyone else is allowed to do - cheating
Totally legit practices, nothing wrong with 'em :thumb:

The only thing that bugging him here in this article is that he
KNOWS Vfans have had no input into the Harvey awards nomination process, so he instead suggests that Valiant itself has cheated. As I said above; if Valiant creators are the only people that got off their arses and cast nominations for the awards when nobody from any other company did then they deserve to dominate the whole thing - fair's fair here :thumb:

And Jude 'Terror'. Seriously :lol: I bet the only terrifying thing about him is his BO.
That's not true. I'm a total bad *SQUEE*.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

:lol:
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Jude Terror

Post by Jude Terror »

DirtbagSailor wrote:Image
It's my old friend Dirtbag Sailor! Rigged any good votes lately?

DirtbagSailor
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Jude Terror wrote:
It's my old friend Dirtbag Sailor! Rigged any good votes lately?
Too much work. Instead, I focus my nefarious efforts to secretly control how people think, act, and feel about things.

I use this power like a puppet master, always lurking in the shadows and behind the curtain like an illuminati God tricking the simple-minded public into liking and enjoying Valiant!

Once I also pointed out a woman in a club and told all the guys how hot she was. Not surprisingly, those horny lemmings all sheepishly agreed with my (clearly false) assessment, and subsequently engaged in some (apparently) lower-class game of "win the girl!"

It's exhausting really. :!:
Last edited by DirtbagSailor on Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:03:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jude Terror

Post by Jude Terror »

Here's an update on my report. As of this time, Baltimore Comic Con has not responded after I asked them:

1. How many total ballots they received as part of the nomination process.
2. Whether they do any kind of verification to ensure the ballots are actually submitted by the person the submitted claims to be (you can just fill one out on the website right now and claim to be whoever you want).

So barring future denial by them, it looks like anyone can submit a ballot nominating Valiant (or voting for them).

What I'm saying is... even if you guys didn't rig the nominations... you could rig the winners right now!

Go here and fill out a ballot: http://www.harveyawards.org/2016-final-ballot/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jude Terror

Post by Jude Terror »

I've already filled out mine. Voted straight Valiant ticket, of course!

Psiot X
Valiant fan since: 2014
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite artist: Rafa Sandoval

Post by Psiot X »

Sometimes, you just get this feeling that things are about to get very entertaining.

iggy101us
I bought my first comics at Kwik-E-Mart
I bought my first comics at Kwik-E-Mart

Post by iggy101us »

Joshua
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot 1
Favorite character: Probably Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath Of The Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: Ryp

Post by Joshua »

Out of all the dumb finger pointing and complaints, I have no idea why you have such a bug up your *SQUEE* about people leaving reviews for Valiant trades they buy.

Jude Terror

Post by Jude Terror »

I've posted a follow-up report on this subject: http://www.theouthousers.com/news/13572 ... -poll.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jude Terror

Post by Jude Terror »

Joshua wrote:Out of all the dumb finger pointing and complaints, I have no idea why you have such a bug up your *SQUEE* about people leaving reviews for Valiant trades they buy.
I have no idea why this message board replaces the three letter word describing a person's posterior with the word *SQUEE*, making the score 1 to 1, sir.

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

Haha, the 'Terrifying One' has arrived, love it! :lol:

Jude, of all the nonsense you've written, your claim to be a badass is by far the most ridiculous :lol:

Honestly, I have to admit that your turning up here to troll took a minute amount of testicular fortitude, but I might as well tell you it straight right now that you're wasting your time if you think that you're actually going to succeed in riling anyone on this board.

I will say though that these ideas you've got about Valiant fans rigging polls and 'cheating' Amazon are most peculiar. At the end of the day if people who own ANY book sold on Amazon want to turn up and write a review for it then fair's fair - cheating isn't even possible in this scenario. Any 'manipulation' of Amazon reviews that might occur is within reason: a bunch of people decide they all enjoyed a book and if some of them decide they enjoyed it enough to want to review it on Amazon then that's really no different from individuals wanting to write book reviews without coherancy or organisation - it'll happen sooner or later but either way the result is the same.

I'm sure you've probably read the rest of the thread as it is so I won't go over it again in detail, but like I said already: if Valiant staff are the only ones that made the effort to post nominations for the awards (and happened to vote for their own comics) then they deserve to dominate them. If other publishers couldn't be bothered to nominate their own comics then why should they be in with a shot of an award - they shouldn't. Again, fair's fair, because there's been no effort on the part of us lot here to nominate comics for the Harvey awards, even if the opportunity is apparently there :thumb:

Oh, and again, quit your blog, give up trying to troll and get a life because this is pathetic :lol:
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

dornwolf
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by dornwolf »

Oh for the love of god please don't let this evolve into the comic equivalent of puppies

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Wait, is this Jude Terror fellow not a parody account on here? Weird.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Ricomortis
lookin pu nub in all da wong pwaces
lookin pu nub in all da wong pwaces
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Shadowman - Harada
Favorite writer: Dysart & Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Larosa, Henry & CAFU

Post by Ricomortis »

Wow! You guys are WAY classier than I am. :lol:

Guess that's why they call it oilfield trash. facepalm

Check out my Gallery for this year: A year in the life of Ricomortis (2018) http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... 35&t=50927" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Check out my Gallery for last year: "A year in the life of Ricomortis (2017)" http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... 6#p1056798" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

I'm entertained, at least. :lol:

If for no other reason than he used "nightmarish aspiring dictator Trump".

:thumb:

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by possumgrease »

So now that we've successfully rigged the Harvey awards, what ballot should we tackle next? Is the presidential race too easy of a target for our collective diabolical genius?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jude Terror

Post by Jude Terror »

It doesn't matter to me which awards you guys want to rig next - as a Valiant Fan Forums member I'm of course totally down - but can we get The Outhouse in the nominations for their journalism category please?

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991

Post by betterthanezra »

facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm

That is all..

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Keith
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

possumgrease wrote:So now that we've successfully rigged the Harvey awards, what ballot should we tackle next? Is the presidential race too easy of a target for our collective diabolical genius?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Clearly the Oscars. No doubt we can get Bloodshot nominated for Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Screenplay, Best Director, Best Documentary...
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

Jude Terror wrote:I've posted a follow-up report on this subject: http://www.theouthousers.com/news/13572 ... -poll.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Maybe Hillary rigged the vote using her private email server because she is totally honest. :?

SwiftMann
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman

Post by SwiftMann »

DirtbagSailor wrote:
SwiftMann wrote:This isn't new. CrossGen did this 15 years ago. Got mostly the same results too. No wins.
How can it be the "same result" of "no wins" if the results are not even out yet? :?
Because Valiant did this last year leading all publishers with 20 nominations (and to a lesser degree the year before by getting Q&W to be the most nominated single title) and came up empty.

2014's plan - Get multiple nominations for one title.
2014's result - No wins.
2015's plan - Get multiple nominations for multiple titles across all possible categories.
2015's result - No wins.
2016's plan - Get multiple nominations in the same categories for multiple titles across all possible categories.
2016's result - ???

I'm just hoping they do win something so 2017's plan isn't "Get ALL nominations in the same categories for ALL titles across all possible categories."
Valiant is NOT the largest publisher; not even close. Their staff numbers are likely far below that of Marvel, D.C., Image, and Dark Horse. To say the small publisher somehow overpowered the system to such a degree that others could not compete is like saying a salmon killed all the sharks.
No, it's not. A vocal minority can easily overpower a lackadaisical majority. If Valiant (Silver Sponsor) rallies/incentivizes their tight family of troops, which includes "those who write, draw, ink, letter, color, design, edit or are otherwise involved in a creative capacity in the comics field" (so everyone from Dinesh to an intern), they can easily out-nominate DC or Boom (Gold Sponsors).

And in the end, it's just self-congratulatory comic awards presented at a lightly attended ceremony after Baltimore Comic-Con's 2nd day. So, no, we shouldn't be taking it too seriously. But obviously VEI is. So that generates attention. Both good and bad. At least Dead Drop didn't show up in the noms.
Last edited by SwiftMann on Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:15:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246