Valiant Dominates 2016 Harvey Nominations

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

SwiftMann
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: 90s Shadowman
Re: Valiant Dominates 2016 Harvey Nominations

Post by SwiftMann »

Jude Terror wrote:Here's an update on my report. As of this time, Baltimore Comic Con has not responded after I asked them:

1. How many total ballots they received as part of the nomination process.
2. Whether they do any kind of verification to ensure the ballots are actually submitted by the person the submitted claims to be (you can just fill one out on the website right now and claim to be whoever you want).

So barring future denial by them, it looks like anyone can submit a ballot nominating Valiant (or voting for them).

What I'm saying is... even if you guys didn't rig the nominations... you could rig the winners right now!

Go here and fill out a ballot: http://www.harveyawards.org/2016-final-ballot/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When I called out Baltimore Comic-Con on last year's MOST PROMISING NEW TALENT nomination of Jen Van Meter (a 15+ year vet) the reply on Facebook was "We don't nominate 'em, we just tally 'em. :wink: "
"If you think any of these [older comics/shows/movies] do not carry a political content and is not using the medium of science fiction to explore real-world ideas, than you have not been paying attention." - Dan Abnett, VCR #246

Jude Terror
Probably hasn't read a Valiant book.

Post by Jude Terror »

SwiftMann wrote:
Jude Terror wrote:Here's an update on my report. As of this time, Baltimore Comic Con has not responded after I asked them:

2. Whether they do any kind of verification to ensure the ballots are actually submitted by the person the submitted claims to be (you can just fill one out on the website right now and claim to be whoever you want).

So barring future denial by them, it looks like anyone can submit a ballot nominating Valiant (or voting for them).

What I'm saying is... even if you guys didn't rig the nominations... you could rig the winners right now!

Go here and fill out a ballot: http://www.harveyawards.org/2016-final-ballot/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When I called out Baltimore Comic-Con on last year's MOST PROMISING NEW TALENT nomination of Jen Van Meter (a 15+ year vet) the reply on Facebook was "We don't nominate 'em, we just tally 'em. :wink: "
I remember that. I wrote about that at the time too, but for some reason, the Valiant Fan Forums weren't mad at me about, even though if you look really hard, you can probably find some factual inaccuracies there:

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/ ... wards.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But that's water under the bridge, now that I'm a member of the Valiant Fan Forums myself.

So, look. Let's all just agree that "we" "didn't" rig the Harvey nominations. *wink wink* *nudge nudge*

But now that Valiant has totally legitimately scored all those sweet nominations, we should totally go fill out a bunch of fake ballots and make sure they win the awards in all of those categories. It's the least we could do. Who's with me?!

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Jude Terror wrote:
SwiftMann wrote:

I remember that. I wrote about that at the time too, but for some reason, the Valiant Fan Forums weren't mad at me about, even though if you look really hard, you can probably find some factual inaccuracies there:

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/ ... wards.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But that's water under the bridge, now that I'm a member of the Valiant Fan Forums myself.

So, look. Let's all just agree that "we" "didn't" rig the Harvey nominations. *wink wink* *nudge nudge*

But now that Valiant has totally legitimately scored all those sweet nominations, we should totally go fill out a bunch of fake ballots and make sure they win the awards in all of those categories. It's the least we could do. Who's with me?!
Nobody, I'd guess.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

Jude Terror

Post by Jude Terror »

Phoenix8008 wrote:
Jude Terror wrote:
SwiftMann wrote:

Nobody, I'd guess.
Well, clearly you guys don't love Valiant as much as I do.

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

Jude Terror wrote:But that's water under the bridge, now that I'm a member of the Valiant Fan Forums myself.
Welcome to the bored, Mr. Terror!

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Jude Terror wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote:
Jude Terror wrote:
SwiftMann wrote:

Nobody, I'd guess.
True. Check out the message under your user name. :thumb:

Jude Terror

Post by Jude Terror »

greg wrote:
Jude Terror wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote:
Jude Terror wrote:
SwiftMann wrote:

Nobody, I'd guess.
Mod abuse! Attica! Attica!

greg

Post by greg »

Jude Terror wrote:
greg wrote:
Jude Terror wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote:
Jude Terror wrote:
SwiftMann wrote: When I called out Baltimore Comic-Con on last year's MOST PROMISING NEW TALENT nomination of Jen Van Meter (a 15+ year vet) the reply on Facebook was "We don't nominate 'em, we just tally 'em. :wink: "

Nobody, I'd guess.
Mod abuse! Attica! Attica!
I did the same for Gavin. :P
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=15623" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Jude, we Valiant Fans have a strong code of ethics, and limit our focused vote rigging efforts to Reddit polls and occasional political elections (due to the unexpected and mysterious influence we have over the voter population). :thumb:

eschnit
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Master Darque
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by eschnit »

I haven't back for too long, but as some of you know I've come back full swing. So, I don't have an answer for this, but many, maybe most of you do. What have the Harvey awards looked like the last few years? It seems this is the first year Valiant has dominated. The community is small enough that if there was some kind of push, we'd all know about it.

Gavin Dillinger
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: Circle Chest
Favorite title: If You Give A Mouse A Cookie
Favorite writer: Wanda Sykes
Favorite artist: Van Gogh

Post by Gavin Dillinger »

What do you mean haven't read a Valiant book? Circle Chest is my favorite character!

eschnit
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Master Darque
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by eschnit »

Should be noted, nominees include things like multiple for Bloodshot Reborn #1, which is a fantastic issue, and Jeff Lemire is on fire with Moon Knight, Marvel, as well. Valiant #4, which by any standard is a fantastic issue. Divinity, a series getting praises everywhere, not just here. The domination of the nominations speaks to something else maybe, whether it's truly awards from peers, where they think that highly of the Valiant crew or something else, many of the nominations are more than legit by any criteria.

I guess it's also worth noting, wouldn't surprise me if this is straight up. Many of the artists Valiant is using were the hungry underdog that people knew if they got a big shot could do big things. So whether you're a Marvel or DC peer happy for them or a hungry independent thinking they're down to Earth, that could be me, they're well liked and have fans. You can see this the way they interact at shows with their peers.

turbod16
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: All of them !
Favorite artist: All of them !

Post by turbod16 »

If anyone wants to be really terrified .... just Google some images of him. :lol:

Phantom
I will call my mum and ask what the *SQUEE* is going on.
Location: I would rather be under the stars in a tent, or on a park bench.

Post by Phantom »

I clicked on two, yes two of the outhouse links.
Probably doubled his site traffic for today.
Assuming you guys clicked on it aswell, Terror coming here has probably had his best week ever!

Now lets see if he continue to attempt to provoke us, and add more links. All those years of hard work may finally pay off as he achieves his goal over getting more than 100 hits a week.

Best of luck to you.
Last edited by Phantom on Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:43:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wish their was a Spinal Tap comic, and I had a copy CGC graded at 11.

Gavin Dillinger

Was this the bedazzled jacket picture? I think a bedazzled jacket would look great on Circle Chest, but then again it might be too shiny. I guess it is better suited for Future Circle Chest.

Jude Terror

Post by Jude Terror »

Phantom wrote:I clicked on two, yes two of the outhouse links.
Probably doubled his site traffic for today.
Assuming you guys clicked on it aswell, Terror coming here has probably had his best week ever!

Now lets see if he continue to attempt to provoke us, and add more links. All those years of hard work may finally pay off as he achieves his goal over getting more than 100 hits a week.

Best of luck to you.
You guys are small potatoes. I get way more hits for riling up Dan Slott fans. It's the personal connection, as a fellow member of the Valiant Fan Forums, that encourages me to keep riling you guys up.

Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Jude, thats my first attempt online at baiting someone.
Did I do OK?

Jude Terror

Post by Jude Terror »

Phantom wrote:Jude, thats my first attempt online at baiting someone.
Did I do OK?
You did great. Lots of practice "baiting" yourself at home, I imagine.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

This reminds me of the good ol' days of Charty and friends.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I don't truely understand the baiting at home jibe.
But a newbe at this.
And no that is not a failed attempt at baiting you.

I too run a successful website, its more international http://www.perdu.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; check it out!

greg

Post by greg »

Phantom wrote:I don't truely understand the baiting at home jibe.
But a newbe at this.
It's Chiclo's job to kill a joke around here, but he might not be paying attention. :D

"baiting" yourself at home is a reference to self-gratification.

Gavin Dillinger

greg wrote:
But a newbe at this.
It's Chiclo's job to kill a joke around here, but he might not be paying attention. :D

Nothing kills a joke more than explaining a joke... or choking the joke till the life leaves its eyes...

The joke is what I call my :SQUEE:

Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Oh dear, I just got insulted and didn't even know it.
Does that count?
Now that I know what it means, it has no affect on me.
Maybe if you say it again, know that I know,it will work better.

greg

Post by greg »

Gavin Dillinger wrote:
greg wrote:
But a newbe at this.

Nothing kills a joke more than explaining a joke... or choking the joke till the life leaves its eyes...
I'm disappointed that you didn't say "choking the joke till the life leaves its eye..."

Phantom

Post by Phantom »

The bar of excellence has just lowered, and by Greg himself.
The line drawn in the sand has been crossed ~ what has outhouse done to us?
Oh the despair.

Does anyone like my website BTW?