H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Mico Suayan & Lewis LaRosa
Newbie to CGC

Post by JCP »

I came into possession of a couple of nice Valiant books today. I've never sent a book to get slabbed. I've been reading the board to get an idea of what to do (i.e. Use USPS). I plan to send about 10 books to get slabbed. I was wondering if there are any pointers for me as a rookie? Is the premium plan the way to go? Is here somebody on the board who can press a book and send to CGC for me for a fee on the board? I know DBS sends a lot of books. I just want to make sure I do it right the first time and every time thereafter. Thanks!
Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age!

Aram
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite character: Tie between Flo and Andy
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: The ones that wrote 4 Valiant.
Re: Newbie to CGC

Post by Aram »

Membership depends on how much you plan to submit. If you think you will submit 10 or more books annually then get the 150$ membership and sign up for auto renew. You will get 150$ credit right away and every following year but consecutive years will only cost you $129.

Conventions with a cgc booth are the best way to go. You do not have to be a member to submit at shows and you can aubmit for pressing with ccs paper at the same time.

I highly recommend using ccs paper for pressing. The do an excellent job and are in the same building with cgc so no extra shipping.
It's not that I don't have an avatar... I've just been working on it for the last few hundred years.

JCP

Post by JCP »

Thank you!

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

I've been thinking about cgc-ing some books for he 1st time also.

Then I just saw that Batman 1 rebirth sdcc foil 9.8 that looks like a VF book.

And it gives me pause......

dhudson1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: duh, X-O
Favorite writer: ditti
Favorite artist: all of them

Post by dhudson1 »

Elveen wrote:I've been thinking about cgc-ing some books for he 1st time also.

Then I just saw that Batman 1 rebirth sdcc foil 9.8 that looks like a VF book.

And it gives me pause......
I know, consistency can be an issue, but if you are selling, it helps.
'Cause I'm a man with
A whole lot on his mind
Just out there somewhere
Traveling in time

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

JCP, I am also in the same boat, I just wonder if I can get 10 books to send in to make it all worth while.

My question to many of the people that have gone through this is the Signature Series.

I have roughly 7 books that I think would be worth signing, pressing, and slabbing. If at a Con, how much might I be looking at to pay CGC to be there during the signing? All my books are Valiant, so nothing costs over a couple of hundred bucks (Ninjak Gold #1 is probably my best, a handful would be dual sig)

It will all depend on just how much getting the Signature Series at a Con costs will depend on just how much I spend getting a membership at CGC. Guess I am stuck, will probably have to get the $150 membership
Moose

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

If I make it to WW Chicago this year I might be submitting some books for the first time in probably ten years..... I'll definitely use the pressing service as well and will be submitting:

SILVER AGE
TOS 39 (1st Iron Man)
Daredevil #1 (1st Daredevil)
Journey Into Mystery #85 (1st Loki)

Bronze
Incredible Hulk #181 (1st Wolverine)
DC Comics Presents #27 (1st Mongul)
Superman Annual #11 (key Alan Moore story)

Modern
Batman Adventures #12 (1st Harley Quinn)

Like I said, it's been a few years since I've submitted. Does anyone have any prep input or paperwork input regarding what I should bring with me if I do this?

Aram

Post by Aram »

Signature series is $28, pressing is 12$. You can also fast track both for additional fees. It will likely be a 4-5 month wait if you dont fast track maybe 2 1/2 months if you do. Shipping back to you is based on the amount of books and value for insurance. Anything above a $200 value or pre 1973? Will cost more to be graded.

Google a bit and you can find resources on how best to prep your books for submission. The best way is to make a small cutout in a new bag with tape around the edges so the signer knows exactly where to sign and a minimal amount of the book is exposed. That way the book stays protected in the bag and board. Then transfer to another normal bag and board once the ink dries.

This is the standard method signature services use.
It's not that I don't have an avatar... I've just been working on it for the last few hundred years.

Aram

Post by Aram »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:JCP, I am also in the same boat, I just wonder if I can get 10 books to send in to make it all worth while.

My question to many of the people that have gone through this is the Signature Series.

I have roughly 7 books that I think would be worth signing, pressing, and slabbing. If at a Con, how much might I be looking at to pay CGC to be there during the signing? All my books are Valiant, so nothing costs over a couple of hundred bucks (Ninjak Gold #1 is probably my best, a handful would be dual sig)

It will all depend on just how much getting the Signature Series at a Con costs will depend on just how much I spend getting a membership at CGC. Guess I am stuck, will probably have to get the $150 membership
If you are submitting at a con with a cgc booth then you do not need a membership. :thumb:

JCP

Post by JCP »

IMJ wrote:If I make it to WW Chicago this year I might be submitting some books for the first time in probably ten years..... I'll definitely use the pressing service as well and will be submitting:

SILVER AGE
TOS 39 (1st Iron Man)
Daredevil #1 (1st Daredevil)
Journey Into Mystery #85 (1st Loki)

Bronze
Incredible Hulk #181 (1st Wolverine)
DC Comics Presents #27 (1st Mongul)
Superman Annual #11 (key Alan Moore story)

Modern
Batman Adventures #12 (1st Harley Quinn)

Like I said, it's been a few years since I've submitted. Does anyone have any prep input or paperwork input regarding what I should bring with me if I do this?
Those are some sweet books! :clap:

I have the following:

Valiant:
Harbinger 1 DMG and Bloodshot 1 DMG

Marvel:
Tales to Astonish 35
Tales to Astonish 44
FF 48
ASM 5, 300
Hulk 271

Indies:
Scud the Disposable Assasin 1
Milk & Cheese 1

TheeBaldMoose

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Aram wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:JCP, I am also in the same boat, I just wonder if I can get 10 books to send in to make it all worth while.

If you are submitting at a con with a cgc booth then you do not need a membership. :thumb:
It will all depend on just how much the Signature Series costs, that's my question. I am sure I will come across a few other books (in one years time) to get pressed/slabbed, so it might be worth it. Just gotta know how much the Signature Series will be
Moose

Aram

Post by Aram »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:
Aram wrote:

It will all depend on just how much the Signature Series costs, that's my question. I am sure I will come across a few other books (in one years time) to get pressed/slabbed, so it might be worth it. Just gotta know how much the Signature Series will be
About 32$ to $50 each with shipping depending on if you want them pressed and fast tracked. That is for moderns.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

LMAO I just sat down to complete the onsite submission invoice using the "walkthrough" tier for the books I listed in my post above. I used honest values for the insurance and fee calculation purposes and to have the 7 books graded I was given a fee total of:

Tier: Show WalkThru
Total number of items 7
Grading Fee $1,575.00 †
Subform Total $1,575.00 †

And nothing was noted about having the books pressed either, which I assume that I would just have to work out at the convention booth, jacking the bill up another few hundred bucks. That's ridiculous! I'm not even going to go to the convention now just to find out more pricing like this.... I was really only going to have these books turned around and graded anyway.

I mean.... do people just lie about the values of their books? Should I call my 4.0 T.O.S. #39 a $1000 book rather than a $3500 book? Or should I fill out several invoices for different tiers for each book (i.e., fill out a modern invoice for Batman Adventures #12, and then a separate "express" invoice for the T.O.S. 39?).
Last edited by IMJ on Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:26:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheeBaldMoose

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

IMJ wrote:LMAO I just sat down to complete the onsite submission invoice using the "walkthrough" tier for the books I listed in my post above. I used honest values for the insurance and fee calculation purposes and to have the 7 books graded I was given a fee total of:

Total number of items 7
Grading Fee $1,575.00 †

And nothing was noted about having the books pressed either, which I assume that I would just have to work out at the convention booth, jacking the bill up another few hundred bucks. That's ridiculous! I'm not even going to go to the convention now just to find out more pricing like this.... I was really only going to have these books turned around and graded anyway.

I mean.... do people just lie about the values of their books? Should I call my 4.0 T.O.S. #39 a $1000 book rather than a $3500 book?
I just had a friend go through something very similar to what you are going through, and I asked the same question. His response, "you could, but what if that comic/s goes missing? Then you are only insured for $1000 versus the closer amount of $3500. He was submitting TMNT #1-#4 (the first series) and the first appearance of Spider Man. He had to buckle down and pay for all of it. It was well worth it, his grades were better than he thought they would be
Moose

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

Or should I fill out several invoices for different tiers for each book (i.e., fill out a modern invoice for Batman Adventures #12, and then a separate "express" invoice for the T.O.S. 39?).

GGSAE
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.

Post by GGSAE »

Hey guys, I have a House of Mystery in 9.6 (Old label) that's loose in the slab, so much the book slides freely in the case. Also, there seems to be something loose in the middle, grader's notes? Would I use the re-holder service for that or can I *SQUEE* to cgc that this book should be on them to eat the cost since the inner well isn't holding the book?

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

It's probably the inner liner that is loose. Recorder is the way to go. Not sure they will pay for it but it's worth an ask.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

My sub results here.....

corey
Valiant fan since: 1st turok
Favorite character: x-o manowar
Favorite title: x-o manowar

Post by corey »

IMJ wrote:LMAO I just sat down to complete the onsite submission invoice using the "walkthrough" tier for the books I listed in my post above. I used honest values for the insurance and fee calculation purposes and to have the 7 books graded I was given a fee total of:

Total number of items 7
Grading Fee $1,575.00 †

I mean.... do people just lie about the values of their books? Should I call my 4.0 T.O.S. #39 a $1000 book rather than a $3500 book? Or should I fill out several invoices for different tiers for each book (i.e., fill out a modern invoice for Batman Adventures #12, and then a separate "express" invoice for the T.O.S. 39?).

sweet god! how much did it end up costing you to get these graded?
i think i dribbled pee when i read your estimated prices

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

corey wrote:

Total number of items 7
Grading Fee $1,575.00 †

sweet god! how much did it end up costing you to get these graded?
i think i dribbled pee when i read your estimated prices
Still extremely expensive, but I changed the tiers up across the books to more accurately reflect their value and then the pricing made much more sense.

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)

Post by jeremycoe »

My newbie CGC question is if I've read a book, does it have much chance of getting a 9.8? I don't see any flaws, but I don't want to be surprised.
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

nycjadie
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

I read my books, but I'm very careful!

jeremycoe
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)

Post by jeremycoe »

nycjadie wrote:I read my books, but I'm very careful!
Me too, but I don't put gloves on or anything like that.
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

corey
Valiant fan since: 1st turok
Favorite character: x-o manowar
Favorite title: x-o manowar

Post by corey »

sooo what if i have like 20-30 silver age comics to send in?

and like 75-100 moderns can anyone give a ballpark estimate?

all comics will be 9.0 or better in silver age

9.4 or better in modern

id say between 10-15 worth over 750.00 bucks apiece

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

corey wrote:sooo what if i have like 20-30 silver age comics to send in?

and like 75-100 moderns can anyone give a ballpark estimate?

all comics will be 9.0 or better in silver age

9.4 or better in modern

id say between 10-15 worth over 750.00 bucks apiece
$750 raw, holy *SQUEE*? What books are in there.....when the invoice shows up I expect lots of this at CGC... :banana: :banana: :banana: