Not a single Harvey Award for Valiant

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Ricomortis
lookin pu nub in all da wong pwaces
lookin pu nub in all da wong pwaces
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Shadowman - Harada
Favorite title: Imperium
Favorite writer: Dysart & Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Larosa, Henry & CAFU
Re: Not a single Harvey Award for Valiant

Post by Ricomortis »

bygranddesign wrote:My previous post was obviously tongue in cheek

But I think the fact that Dysart wasn't nominated for anything is actually pretty telling

Most hardcore Valiant fans on this board (and elsewhere) are huge Dysart fans

If this was done by fans it was probably done by a very small group who inexplicably aren't big fans of Dysart

It feels more like a few very enthusiastic / over zealous employees (marketing people) that have a stake in bringing attention to Valiant ... More than some big fan effort... just my 2 cents
Totally agree!

:thumb:

Check out my Gallery for this year: A year in the life of Ricomortis (2018) http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... 35&t=50927" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Check out my Gallery for last year: "A year in the life of Ricomortis (2017)" http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... 6#p1056798" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)

Post by jeremycoe »

If it was a fan effort, then I wonder why I didn't know about it before hand? I'm pretty active on these boards and follow the Facebook pages, so I think I would have heard about it before the nominations came out. Just my thoughts.
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

jeremycoe wrote:If it was a fan effort, then I wonder why I didn't know about it before hand? I'm pretty active on these boards and follow the Facebook pages, so I think I would have heard about it before the nominations came out. Just my thoughts.
Again, QFT
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Favorite character: Harada

Post by DirtbagSailor »

I'm a Dysart fan. :thumb:

buff-beardo
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: Solar
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by buff-beardo »

I've been all in on Vei (minus LOTG :!: and plus editions) since the launch and have no inclinations to feel otherwise. However, imo, the overzealous amount of Vei nominations for the Harvey awards was embarrassing to say the least. I know, the fans don't vote for the Harvey's. Well, we jumped the shark somewhere during the voting process and well deserving Vei titles have suffered as a result. I am not surprised that Vei was blacklisted. It truly is too bad because a few of Vei's books are Harvey caliber, yet the contributors to these works will miss out on such prestigious recognition.

P.S. - I've seen the arguments that state in effect, "Well it's Harvey's fault for allowing this to happen." I don't buy into that. I like to think that some concept of honor still exist these days.
Muse Rocks! Check out “The Handler”.

Psiot X
Valiant fan since: 2014
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Rafa Sandoval

Post by Psiot X »

I love how we are some how getting blamed for stuffing ballots in some magical way. Maybe they think I am Shadow Man and met my Loa over a pop of ball lightning. It's industry professionals that handle the nominations for a nominee spot. Not fans. Those pros handle the votes too. We just watch the fallout. Being a politically incorrect *SQUEE*, I have no shame in writing that I feel like a persecuted minority right now. :) Honestly, I am glad the company got some recognition. Shame this wasn't all a good thing though. But I am left with some vinegar toward the Harvey's for making a mess of ordinary fandom with a *SQUEE* scandal. Keep it on their own plate.
Last edited by Psiot X on Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:30:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ramses818
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: X-O Manowar 14
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-o but maybe soon to be Rai
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Ramses818 »

It is just sad because they were many Valiant books and creators that are really deserving of the credit they are not getting. These hard working people and creators. I hope they see these boards and know how much we appreciate them. :clap:

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Wait!

Best Single Issue or Story: PEANUTS: A TRIBUTE TO CHARLES M. SCHULZ, BOOM! Studios

You mean to tell us that NO better, deeper, or more socially significant story was published? Nothing better?

I love Charlie Brown as much as the next guy (grew up reading as many here likely did as well) but this looks a LOT more like an emotional decision or "condolence vote" than anything objective or requiring actual thought. I can think of quite a few books from various publishers that could have been more easily justified as champion for this category -- and I'm not just talking about Valiant!

Did voters all sit around and say to themselves "you know, I think Charles is dead. Man that sucks, I'm going to vote for his work now that he is gone and it feels like the right thing to do..."

Perhaps next year Marvel can win with MARVELOUS: A TRIBUTE TO JACK KIRBY or IDW can win with G.I. JOE: A TRIBUTE TO DONALD LEVINE...

Jude Terror
Probably hasn't read a Valiant book.
Probably hasn't read a Valiant book.

Post by Jude Terror »

DirtbagSailor wrote:Wait!

Best Single Issue or Story: PEANUTS: A TRIBUTE TO CHARLES M. SCHULZ, BOOM! Studios

You mean to tell us that NO better, deeper, or more socially significant story was published? Nothing better?

I love Charlie Brown as much as the next guy (grew up reading as many here likely did as well) but this looks a LOT more like an emotional decision or "condolence vote" than anything objective or requiring actual thought. I can think of quite a few books from various publishers that could have been more easily justified as champion for this category -- and I'm not just talking about Valiant!

Did voters all sit around and say to themselves "you know, I think Charles is dead. Man that sucks, I'm going to vote for his work now that he is gone and it feels like the right thing to do..."

Perhaps next year Marvel can win with MARVELOUS: A TRIBUTE TO JACK KIRBY or IDW can win with G.I. JOE: A TRIBUTE TO DONALD LEVINE...
Right on, Dirtbag Sailor! *SQUEE* dead people, especially Charles Schulz! All that guy drew was pretty much scribbles of a dog and dumb bald kid. The comics were only three panels long - so lazy! Circle Chest is a way more awesome character than Snoopy and should have won that award.

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Jude Terror wrote:Right on, Dirtbag Sailor! *SQUEE* dead people, especially Charles Schulz! All that guy drew was pretty much scribbles of a dog and dumb bald kid. The comics were only three panels long - so lazy! Circle Chest is a way more awesome character than Snoopy and should have won that award.
Snoopy is the stuff.

But it's pretty lame how every time a creative talent or musician dies, shortly afterwards somehow the world magically pays attention to their life's work after not paying attention for years!

Pretty sure Charles might have enjoyed such an award in person 10 years ago. Circle chest or not, there were better stories written in the past year.

Circle Chest
paulsmith56 is my hero
paulsmith56 is my hero

Post by Circle Chest »

Hey guys

Did I win?

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

Phoenix8008 wrote:
paradise wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:I take exception to this quote: "Notably absent from the winners was Valiant Entertainment,who dominated several nomination categories thanks to a wave of fan support during the open nominations process."

Umm... "fan support"? I thought nominations were only from industry professionals. Seems a little trite referring to colleagues as fans.
Are you not able to accept the fact that there is ZERO CHANCE that pros liked valiant books enough to nominate so many of them in every category and that there was no tampering by fans?

isn't it a Lot more likely that there was tampering? Valiant fans are Fantastic and love the brand but in this case, I personally believe some people crossed the line, and not in a soft feather way, but in a full on hammer way, and it was obvious.

now, some of the blame is on Harvey's for not having a voting process that screens out this type of stuff, but after everyone seeing 2-3 books in every category what do u think was going to happen?
Either the Harvey Awards are only voted on by industry professionals (as they claim) or not. If somehow 'fans' from outside the industry are able to vote in any way, shape, or form, then the Harvey awards need to stop claiming that they are "The only comics awards both nominated and selected by the full body of comics professionals." If 'fans' not working in the comics industry could somehow get involved to spike the votes to get Valiant so many nominations, then why didn't they also spike the final ballots to give a bunch of wins to Valiant as well?

Let me be clear that I'm not advocating for cheating in any form. It just doesn't make sense that some group that could rig the nominations wouldn't also rig the final votes. I mean, the only reason to do that would be to increase people's paranoia about Valiant 'rigging' votes. After last years debacle with the /r/comicbooks Reddit poll, we now have two big instances where it looks like vote rigging took place. So any future awards Valiant may eventually get come pre-tarnished as people wonder how legitimate it is. That's my fear. It would have been better to either win a few of the awards that they were nominated for this time, or to not have dominated the nominations at all. Now it looks like Valiant has a 'history' of cheating.
Last year's debacle is because it wasent stated that not every person could vote only select people ie redit people. I may be mistaken. But I do know it wasent specified anyplace that we or I couldn't vote.
It was only after did some admin chime in and say you can't vote here. Which is a rigged vote and not a fair voting system. I'm NOT a cheeper. Ya I'll be harsh sometimes and call crapola as I see it but I won't go out of my way to cheet even for Valiant. Yes I voted in the debacle but only because it was OK to do so untill we found out after it wasent. As per Harby awards I didn't even know people could vote. After the bs from last year I'm not really making an effort to care.

Btw wrestling sucks
:kidaround:
I Miss the good old days.

Baramos

Post by Baramos »

I would just like to say that as far as voting on that r/comicbooks poll, I may have voted on it, but it had nothing to do with some kind of conspiracy hatched on these forums which I honestly have not visited particularly much in the past year. I utilize reddit quite a bit, and if I happen to see a poll on r/comicbooks, I will vote on it.

Does anyone have a link to this poll so I can see if I voted on it?

In any case, someone on reddit actually came up with a pretty clear explanation of why none of the Valiant books won: if you have 5 Valiant books in a category but only one from another publisher, you have to hope that people voting for a Valiant book all vote for the same one, or the vote is split. Whereas people voting for anything non-Valiant have only one choice, and that is going to not suffer from split votes.

Essentially, while it seems like having a lot of nominations would increase Valiant's chances of winning SOMETHING, in reality it could have ended up decreasing chances more than if they had one or two in each category and they were the same book instead of like, what, a dozen different Valiant books in various categories to achieve the 50 nominations?

Baramos

Post by Baramos »

paradise wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:I take exception to this quote: "Notably absent from the winners was Valiant Entertainment,who dominated several nomination categories thanks to a wave of fan support during the open nominations process."

Umm... "fan support"? I thought nominations were only from industry professionals. Seems a little trite referring to colleagues as fans.
Are you not able to accept the fact that there is ZERO CHANCE that pros liked valiant books enough to nominate so many of them in every category and that there was no tampering by fans?

isn't it a Lot more likely that there was tampering? Valiant fans are Fantastic and love the brand but in this case, I personally believe some people crossed the line, and not in a soft feather way, but in a full on hammer way, and it was obvious.

now, some of the blame is on Harvey's for not having a voting process that screens out this type of stuff, but after everyone seeing 2-3 books in every category what do u think was going to happen?
You know, you can say that they were supposedly justified in purposefully snubbing Valiant, but what they should have done was looked at the books nominated in those categories and made an actual choice on the quality of the nominees, regardless of publisher. Possibly they did and the votes were simply split by the fact that Valiant simply had so many books in each category, but if the voters purposefully chose Howard the Duck (apparently a good comic, it is true) or Peanuts: A Tribute to Charles Shulz JUST to snub Valiant, well, they're big jerks just like the people who stuffed the nominees, frankly.