Generation Zero to End

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Re: Generation Zero to End

Post by grendeljd »

Bl00dsh0t wrote:Cant help but think Gen Zero is a victim of timing. I for one, didn't pick up the book as the heat had long since died off from Harbinger Wars. Had this book come out 2yrs ago perhaps it would have lasted longer, who knows...
I just can't see there being hordes of people out there deciding that if something doesn't come out when they wanted it to that they would refuse to give that something a chance whenever it does come out, regardless of whether it's cool or not.

I apologize for saying something that will sound harsh or judgemental, but it sounds like you're just indulging in a personal bias that doesn't have much basis in anything logical by thinking that way. You only have yourself to blame for missing out when you choose to think that way.

Now, in this case, you didn't miss out on anything spectacular, but still! :)
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1 (2012)
Favorite character: Ninjak/Woody
Favorite title: Bloodshot/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

Captain Craig wrote:I just don't get VEI readers sometimes. How is it not enough of you are getting Gen Zero?
The excuse that it's "too long" past their Harbinger Wars debut is total crap. If anything it means the opportunity for more stories to be told is there, like what have they been doing since then plus whatever stories in the "now" you could tell.
Good book, great characters, solid art....flimsy fandom strikes again. This book is way better than Faith, and I enjoy that book but she is tirelessly repetitive at times in her personality.
Each to their own. Harbinger Wars #1 was published in April 2013. I loved it, the whole thing. The Gen Zero kids were awesome and I really wanted to read more of them (at the time). Fast forward 3.5yrs and I've lost interested, I've moved on to other titles. I picked up Gen Zero #1 and thought it was ok but it didn't pack that same punch as the HW appearances did. My desire to read more of them waned over the years.

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Bl00dsh0t wrote:
Captain Craig wrote:I just don't get VEI readers sometimes. How is it not enough of you are getting Gen Zero?
The excuse that it's "too long" past their Harbinger Wars debut is total crap. If anything it means the opportunity for more stories to be told is there, like what have they been doing since then plus whatever stories in the "now" you could tell.
Good book, great characters, solid art....flimsy fandom strikes again. This book is way better than Faith, and I enjoy that book but she is tirelessly repetitive at times in her personality.
Each to their own. Harbinger Wars #1 was published in April 2013. I loved it, the whole thing. The Gen Zero kids were awesome and I really wanted to read more of them (at the time). Fast forward 3.5yrs and I've lost interested, I've moved on to other titles. I picked up Gen Zero #1 and thought it was ok but it didn't pack that same punch as the HW appearances did. My desire to read more of them waned over the years.
I hear what you're saying, but coming from a new Valiant fan, I was really starting to get into this group. There were some dynamics that I thought were starting to heat up (for me at least). I seriously enjoy the anagram puzzles
Moose

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

Bl00dsh0t wrote:
I tend to agree with you. I often wondered what Pete and the other Renegades were up to, along with the Gen Zero kids. It is like their story just ended with very little updates other than Faith with a sprinkling of Torque.

Mkb28

Tim
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Tim »

grendeljd wrote:
Bl00dsh0t wrote:Cant help but think Gen Zero is a victim of timing. I for one, didn't pick up the book as the heat had long since died off from Harbinger Wars. Had this book come out 2yrs ago perhaps it would have lasted longer, who knows...
I just can't see there being hordes of people out there deciding that if something doesn't come out when they wanted it to that they would refuse to give that something a chance whenever it does come out, regardless of whether it's cool or not.

I apologize for saying something that will sound harsh or judgemental, but it sounds like you're just indulging in a personal bias that doesn't have much basis in anything logical by thinking that way. You only have yourself to blame for missing out when you choose to think that way.

Think of it this way. What if you watched a season of a television series and had to wait two years to see the next? Wouldn't your interest diminish at least some? I know it would with me. I am utterly unable to watch episodic television anymore. I have to wait till the entire show is over and watch all of them at once or at least at my pwn pace. I have tried watching shows as they air, but I find that even a week gap between episodes is enough to usually make my completely lose interest and move on to something else.

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:
Bl00dsh0t wrote:
I hear what you're saying, but coming from a new Valiant fan, I was really starting to get into this group. There were some dynamics that I thought were starting to heat up (for me at least). I seriously enjoy the anagram puzzles
Thats the thing, it will appeal to others. If it works for you, great :thumb:

For me, it didn't, and that's ok too.

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

grendeljd wrote:

Yes, it is personal bias because it's my $ and my time. I was interested 3.5yrs ago, now I'm not and given the series isn't going past a second arc, I feel validated in my decision. Do I think hoards of people are turning away, I don't really know nor do I care, this is my decision not to pick up the book - a book I would've picked up (and would most likely have had a different tone) 3.5yrs ago - why the attack? I don't get it? no basis for my opinion of what I want to spend my money on? I have only myself to blame for missing out on something I had no interest now? Come on man, this one guys opinion, this is a message board - for all to voice their passion of Valiant comments, respect that.

I would've liked for this series to work, I'm a valiant fan and dig most of their stuff, but Gen Zero circa 2016 is not the Gen Zero circa 2013 that hooked me.

OhioValiantNut
Dr. OhioValiantNut
Dr. OhioValiantNut
Valiant fan since: 1995
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Shooter
Favorite artist: Perlin

Post by OhioValiantNut »

Seriously thinking about not getting the DCBS Valiant Bundle due to books like Generation Zero, Faith, and A&A. facepalm

I admit my bias, but I really want to see more Bloodshot, Ninjak, Eternal Warrior, and Unity. :twisted:

I am looking forward to the unannounced "Divinity IV: Trump's Reign" series. I hear its gonna be yuge. :D :D :D

mkb28
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

Tim wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

Think of it this way. What if you watched a season of a television series and had to wait two years to see the next? Wouldn't your interest diminish at least some? I know it would with me. I am utterly unable to watch episodic television anymore. I have to wait till the entire show is over and watch all of them at once or at least at my pwn pace. I have tried watching shows as they air, but I find that even a week gap between episodes is enough to usually make my completely lose interest and move on to something else.
Kind of the same reason I stopped buying monthly comics and switched to trades. I enjoy reading the entire story arc and not just bits and pieces at a time. Plus, I am not smart enough to remember what happened a month ago. facepalm

Mkb28

grendeljd
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Bl00dsh0t wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

Yes, it is personal bias because it's my $ and my time. I was interested 3.5yrs ago, now I'm not and given the series isn't going past a second arc, I feel validated in my decision. Do I think hoards of people are turning away, I don't really know nor do I care, this is my decision not to pick up the book - a book I would've picked up (and would most likely have had a different tone) 3.5yrs ago - why the attack? I don't get it? no basis for my opinion of what I want to spend my money on? I have only myself to blame for missing out on something I had no interest now? Come on man, this one guys opinion, this is a message board - for all to voice their passion of Valiant comments, respect that.

I would've liked for this series to work, I'm a valiant fan and dig most of their stuff, but Gen Zero circa 2016 is not the Gen Zero circa 2013 that hooked me.
Totally respect your right to express your own opinion, man - I just don't get the mentality is all I meant to say.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

grendeljd wrote:
Bl00dsh0t wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

Totally respect your right to express your own opinion, man - I just don't get the mentality is all I meant to say.
and that's fine but lets tone it a little. We're all fans here just talking about the comics we love (or don't as the case may be).

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite writer: V-Diddy

Post by Sven the Returned »

ShadowTuga wrote:I know that this is not a popular opinion, but I'm glad this will be over soon. I find this title completel uninteresting, not that is bad- I just could not care less about these characters. I don't like them, actually.
FVL is a very capable writer, I want to see more of his work in this universe, but not a teen team of superpowered kids.
He could do Shadowman. I really believe it would be awesome.
Did he write any dark characters before this?

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.

Post by ShadowTuga »

Sven the Returned wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:I know that this is not a popular opinion, but I'm glad this will be over soon. I find this title completel uninteresting, not that is bad- I just could not care less about these characters. I don't like them, actually.
FVL is a very capable writer, I want to see more of his work in this universe, but not a teen team of superpowered kids.
He could do Shadowman. I really believe it would be awesome.
Did he write any dark characters before this?
Dark Archer, duh! :mad:

If you know your Lovecraft, you can see the stuff popping here and there in FVL's writing. Gamete is like freaking creepy to me. Seriously creepy. And the Cornerdudes are basically the Hounds of Tindalos.
He's also writing a horror lovecraftian detective comic for Dark Horse, "Weird Detective".
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Frankie_Buckets
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Too hard to call it.
Favorite writer: Do I have to pick?
Favorite artist: Lewis LaRosa

Post by Frankie_Buckets »

I love the concept of the book and enjoyed the first arc, but I do feel like it started to stagnate as they stayed in the same place for too long and it became over complicated.

I feel like if they went with a new mystery/person to help/crime to twart while traveling the country, with each new arc (4 issues per), almost sorta of Scooby-Doo vibe but with a more serious tone it could work.

Then you could always have them jump into other books as well with cameos and vice versa as they traverse the land.

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

Frankie_Buckets wrote:
I feel like if they went with a new mystery/person to help/crime to twart while traveling the country, with each new arc (4 issues per), almost sorta of Scooby-Doo vibe but with a more serious tone it could work.
That is exactly what I thought this book would be.

mateo107
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Obadiah Archer
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Doug Braithwaite

Post by mateo107 »

Agreed, I liked the concept as child soldiers trying to have Scooby Doo adventures, I wish they could have gotten a few more episodes in.

The timing is another problem, and VEI seems to do this a lot. They have an event and interest in new characters but then nothing after that, sometimes for years. Every other publisher seems to have an ongoing book ready to go immediately following their summer crossover. I'm also kind of disappointed that rather than ushering in a new 4001 line, all the 4001 AD characters have disappeared since the event.