is this a good value?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

michael
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Valiant fan since: 2014
Favorite character: none
Favorite title: EW
Favorite writer: Kirkman
Favorite artist: none
is this a good value?

Post by michael »

I think I'm in the right section. Would you bid on this lot? Found some never opened raw Valiants and others in an auction that ends tomorrow. Currently at $200 for 160 comics. All look like 9.8-9.6. Some keys I found in Lot with my estimate raw values are:

A&A #0 Gold "est $65 raw" if CGCed "$200-500"
Solar Man of the Atom #10 first print "$15" if CGCed "$100-9.6, $500 if 9.8"
Unity #1 Gold and Platinum "$10 each" if CGCed $80
three RAI #0 "$10 each if CGCed $80 each
Deathmate Preview Pink $10 if CGCed $80
several other Valiants but $1s

Total estimate for just these eight Valiant $140 raw or if CGCed $780 to $1480 dependent on grade

Some other keys my eye zoned in on in same lot but not Valiant:
Death of Superman #75 Platinum (black) limited edition raw $75+, CGCed $1000+ "huge potential if comes back a 9.8"
Death of Superman X2 (black poly) est $10 each raw
Death of Superman X2 (white Poly) est $10 raw
Reign of Superman #78 signed est $20 raw
Plus another 145 comic all from 1993. many Valiants, x-men, Punisher, Wolverine. Many are #0 or #1 and many duplicates. Most are $1 junk but may have a gem or two that I'm not currently aware of.

Lot is currently at $200 plus %15 plus shipping est $50. total $280

I was thinking if I tried to get for under $350 total I would be in good shape even if A&A #0 Gold was a 9.6 after getting it graded. Especially with the Potential of that Death of Superman #75 Platinum black cover. I would probably try and sell everything to get my money back except the A&A #0 Gold, Solar #10 and maybe that Superman #75 platinum black edition.

What do you guys think? Too much work and upfront $ before braking even while keeping the A&A, Soalr and Superman Platinum?

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character
Re: is this a good value?

Post by greg »

That's an overstatement on the Superman 75 Platinum for sure. $350 to $400 as CGC 9.8, under $200 for 9.6. Closer to $100 for 9.4, the average CGC grade for this book.

Deathmate Pink isn't a $10 book.

White polybag Superman is Adventures of Superman #500. That's a 50cent book.

When sellers overstate values, they've already grabbed the good stuff. There is always a danger in buying raw books and hoping for CGC 9.6+ from someone who claims those grades but doesn't CGC them himself.

Smells fishy. Assume 9.0 raws, especially on the key issues, and bid accordingly.

michael

Post by michael »

Thanks for response and you're prob right. I'm currently on the fence with that particular lot. It definitely has a mixed bag with only a few nice gems.

This is actual a very big auction mostly Marvel and DC. I have my eye on some other lots too that I want and are a better buy. I just don't want to say where for bid reasons. 25,000+ comics. Reason I don't want to say where is there's another lot that has a 9.8-9.6 Eternal Warrior Gold flat hidden in it and some other Valiant gems with 48 other comics most are signed and lot is currently at $75 that I want. I've probably now said too much, LOL.

Some of the other lots are well above $1000 but they are Marvel or DC. Valiant is only splashed in some of the lots which makes me have to look closely for Valiant gems. There are several lots with multiple first print #1 Star Wars. I've sold many of those graded for $500-$1000 each and they are going for peanuts "$300 for lot of 4 #1s" and there are several lots of those. These comics all come from a store that has been closed and stored sense the 90s. That's enough talk about non Valiant lots though.

Cheers for your response. Anyone else? I'll let you know if I get any good Valiant stuff.
Last edited by michael on Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:44:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

OhioValiantNut
Dr. OhioValiantNut
Dr. OhioValiantNut
Valiant fan since: 1995
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Shooter
Favorite artist: Perlin

Post by OhioValiantNut »

I would avoid this offering ... too high ... and too many jerks out there over-grading VH1 material and expecting you to pay $100 for a Archer and Armstrong 0 Gold that isn't worth more than $25 tops. Save your money on this lot and be patient for the good deals that pop up when least expected.

Just my opinion ...

OhioValiantNut
Dr. OhioValiantNut
Dr. OhioValiantNut

Post by OhioValiantNut »

michael wrote:Thanks for response and you may be right. I'm currently on the fence with that particular lot.

This is actual a very big auction mostly Marvel and DC. I just don't want to say where for bid reasons. 25,000+ comics. Reason I don't want to say where is there's another lot that has a 9.8-9.6 Eternal Warrior Gold flat hidden in it and some other Valiant gems with 48 other comics most are signed and lot is currently at $75 that I want. I've probably now said too much, LOL.
Good luck on that one ... sounds like a lot of goodies ... that strategy is how I came into my X-O Manowar 0 Gold!

michael

Post by michael »

Update: Both lots went for much more than I was comfortable with. The 160 comic one with the A&A Gold ending at $550 and the 48 signed and gold editions with the Eternal Warrior #1 Gold Flat is now at $160 and climbing. Too much for my blood. Probably a good thing, I didn't really want to spend that much time trying to sell 160 and 45 comics individually to keep maybe half a dozen. Most of the lots were going for too high prices unless it was a store buying them that could spend the time selling them individually.

I did get a lot of four Star Wars #1s first prints though for $300. should be a good buy. They all look like 9.4s +- one grade. Will get them graded then sell for around $300 each. Keep best one for myself though

thanks for the inputs :high-five:

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

michael wrote:I did get a lot of four Star Wars #1s first prints though for $300. should be a good buy. They all look like 9.4s +- one grade. Will get them graded then sell for around $300 each. Keep best one for myself though
Grats!

OhioValiantNut
Dr. OhioValiantNut
Dr. OhioValiantNut

Post by OhioValiantNut »

michael wrote:I did get a lot of four Star Wars #1s first prints though for $300. should be a good buy. They all look like 9.4s +- one grade. Will get them graded then sell for around $300 each. Keep best one for myself though

I had Howard Chaykin sign a couple of books for me over the summer ... he'll sign for free! You should see if you can get them signed and graded.

:thumb:

michael

Post by michael »

OhioValiantNut wrote:

I had Howard Chaykin sign a couple of books for me over the summer ... he'll sign for free! You should see if you can get them signed and graded.

:thumb:
Thanks OhioValiantNut, I'll look into that :high-five:

michael

Post by michael »

Here are images of smaller lot of 48 Signed and Golds. Sold for $400. I have no idea why it finished so high. The second image has closer look of the Eternal Warrior Gold Flat in it. Does anyone that has more experience see any hidden gems in there that made this lot sell for so much? I know that Armorines has a some value but not much.

Here is the larger 160 comic lot I was thinking of getting but it ended at $550. It has the A&A Gold, SMOA #10 and Superman #70 Platinum. I'll only post close ups of those three to keep image count lower. This lot also went for much more than I thought it would. I guess I'm not up to date on my 1990s values or people were bidding high because of Christmas maybe.

To me, almost all of 200+ lots were going for much more than I thought they would.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

Where were the auctions?

OhioValiantNut
Dr. OhioValiantNut
Dr. OhioValiantNut

Post by OhioValiantNut »

:o :o :o

vikingspawn
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by vikingspawn »

The Plasm zero comic over the binder looks interesting.

:hm:

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

I dunno, to my untrained eye, apart from the golds and the Solar #10, most of that looks like a 90s collection people can't give away on Craigslist. But perhaps those Image portolio or bagged issues are hard to come by, or something. :?

michael

Post by michael »

nycjadie wrote:Where were the auctions?
It was in California at a place called I-15 Auctions. Not the normal comic auction house. The organization of the lots was very strange. Made buyers have to go through everything to find hidden gems. I wish they put all the Valiant into one or two lots instead of having them mixed in with other stuff. Here's the actual link to this particular auction.

https://jospickins.proxibid.com/asp/Cat ... ort=4#cnTb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Most lots seemed to close higher than I thought they were worth. Seems to be a good place for sellers but not buyers. Everything sells higher in California though.

ckb
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?

Post by ckb »

There is some good stuff in there, I am not surprised at the prices. It means everything that these books were from a store - they actually have a chance at being in high grade since they were probably very well cared for, compared to sloshing around in a private collection of forgotten worthless treasures.

Some things that stand out:

The Berzerkers #1 signed/limited is an interesting book. I think it is someone's first work.

A pristine EW1 gold flat is a $300 book. Graded 9.8 who knows.

The sealed second (third?) edition plasm binder with the 0 (I assume removed from previews) is a fun thing.

Fall fling armorines is a cardstock cover so a 9.8 is not out of the question, and it is a nice book.

I think that is some sort of special edition on XMEN Unlimited #1. Anyone know more about that?

The Infinity Gauntlet print set might sell for a lot more than the 19.99 on it right now.

All those full hologram Ultraverse covers are not easy books.

CEOG and SLODM golds in great shape are always nice.

I think that is the platinum Death of Superman TPB??? Wow I would have to look that up. That isn't an unbagged Supes 75 plat. No one has ever seen the book out of the bag! (lol, sometimes it seems that way)

Xmen 25 gold hologram is a good seller.

Love the deep space 9 book, would be a great book to have graded, probably very easy to sell. I wish mine didn't have a dinged corner.

Those full gold image books still sell!

That Batman/Predator book is not easy to find.

Just some random thoughts on it. I think condition/source was the main driver on the prices. A little justified gambling going on.

OhioValiantNut
Dr. OhioValiantNut
Dr. OhioValiantNut

Post by OhioValiantNut »

ckb wrote:
Some things that stand out:

The Berzerkers #1 signed/limited is an interesting book. I think it is someone's first work.

I was lucky enough to pick up a copy of that book "Bezerker #1 platinum signed edition" ... features work from Rob Liefeld, Erik Larsen, and Angel Medina!

It is also the first appearance of Gary Carlson's 'Knight Watchman' which launched the "Big Bang Universe" series of books that appeared through Caliber Press, Image Comics, and more recently by AC Comics.

It is not a terribly expensive book, but a key book for the Big Bang Nuts like myself. :D :D :D

michael

Post by michael »

Thanks ckb for your knowledge :high-five: I wish I was more familiar with all those special/gold/signed comics when I was placing bids. My head was spinning with so many lots in this action. I think there was like 200 lots. At least I won one.

Here's a NEVER OPENED little nugget that sold for $10 at the end of the auction. I know many Valiant fans would like to have it. I'm not sure why its called a dump instead of just counter topper. I thought that was funny when I saw it.

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

Oh man! That was a buy. Did you get it? I think the packaging is probably worth more than the counter dump. It's a four pocket counter top display for new comics. I have one, but not in the box. Great buy for $10!

iggy101us
I bought my first comics at Kwik-E-Mart
I bought my first comics at Kwik-E-Mart

Post by iggy101us »

Nice find! That's the first time I've seen it packaged like that. :clap:

michael

Post by michael »

Not mine. Someone already had the $10 bid in and I didn't want to go to $15 facepalm. Maybe the new owner can trade it for a X-O Manowar #1 Brushed Metal cover. :insane: joking

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

It's probably for$75 or more.

GGSAE
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.

Post by GGSAE »

That's the funny thing about auctions, a lot of unsavvy buyers see value in signed comics so it's not surprising a large lot of signed books when for around $10/average. The best buys from places like these are the stuff that's not well known outside of knowledgeable collectors (e.g. I bought a super beat-up MRF gold key #1 for a few bucks at auction because no one knew what it was).