Kostiy, the Deathless

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Keith
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL
Kostiy, the Deathless

Post by Keith »

http://www.multiversitycomics.com/news/ ... deathless/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:hm: :hm: :hm:
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

Ricomortis
lookin pu nub in all da wong pwaces
lookin pu nub in all da wong pwaces
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Shadowman - Harada
Favorite title: Imperium
Favorite writer: Dysart & Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Larosa, Henry & CAFU
Re: Kostiy, the Deathless

Post by Ricomortis »

Looks very interesting to me!

Ready to learn more.

:thumb:

Check out my Gallery for this year: A year in the life of Ricomortis (2018) http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... 35&t=50927" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Check out my Gallery for last year: "A year in the life of Ricomortis (2017)" http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... 6#p1056798" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thegreatmagnet
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by Thegreatmagnet »

Looks like the Red Brigade might be all female. I've heard comments from time to time that Valiant needs more female characters and also that they need more villains. I wonder if the Red Brigade characters will align with Russia after they return to the main VEI universe...or would US-Russia combat be too provocative?

Sunlight on Snow

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

Weird name.

It looks great though... and I like the idea that each of the Stalinverse one-shots might feature a backup story about a different member of the Red Brigade. Extra content always is a good idea and this way we get 1.5 stories per issue. Cool!

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

I find the back story on Kostiy to be a little weak. I mean, one of Russia's most powerful Generals is...Surprise!! A female? Really?? I totally get that Valiant needs more female roles, and that they need to show power and strength, but are we to believe that the 1800's Russian population is that daft? Maybe the short story will explain just how she came to power, or better how she might have deceived the entire army population (weren't bathhouses almost mandatory for political and military movement through the ranks?). Good stories, that's what I want. Good stories with threads or reality and humanity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Moose

QUARTZ
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by QUARTZ »

Ricomortis wrote:Looks very interesting to me!

Ready to learn more.

:thumb:
Me too, much more interested in this back story than Red Legend, even though I thought that was handled well too. Looks pretty horrific and gory. Me like.

Watchtower
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Watchtower »

Did some digging around. Bombshells incoming:

Kostiy is the English transliteration of a Ukrainian name. Take the transliteration of its Russian counterpart, and you get....

Koschei the Deathless

The Red Brigade is more than just having a squad of Russian super-heroines. We now have a clear theme in each of them taking inspiration from Slavic folklore.

Even better, the name "Koschei" is described by one author to mean "skeleton" in an old dialect, and it's believed that the name is derived from the Russian word kost', which translates to "bone". Quite appropriate, one would say.

Sunlight on Snow

Watchtower wrote:Did some digging around. Bombshells incoming:

Kostiy is the English transliteration of a Ukrainian name. Take the transliteration of its Russian counterpart, and you get....

Koschei the Deathless

The Red Brigade is more than just having a squad of Russian super-heroines. We now have a clear theme in each of them taking inspiration from Slavic folklore.

Even better, the name "Koschei" is described by one author to mean "skeleton" in an old dialect, and it's believed that the name is derived from the Russian word kost', which translates to "bone". Quite appropriate, one would say.
Indeed, then it makes sense after all.

I googled "Kostiy" and it kept changing it to "Kostya". After a few clicks I ended up HERE which is when I gave up. :!:

Brother Darque

Post by Brother Darque »

That would be a great name for a metal band.

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Cool ideas for these Red Brigade characters thus far. Would be nice to see them stick around after the reality is restored.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

I like new characters! Woot! :clap:

Thegreatmagnet
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by Thegreatmagnet »

BugsySig wrote:Cool ideas for these Red Brigade characters thus far. Would be nice to see them stick around after the reality is restored.
I'm assuming they will stick around. We already know that Red Legend will be an important future character in Valiant. Given that they're making such an effort to show all of these character origins in the one-shots, it would be a little silly to never use the characters again...

Also, Kostiy's story is real well suited for Ryp's style. He's great at drawing the grisly stuff.

Sunlight on Snow

Thegreatmagnet wrote:
BugsySig wrote:Cool ideas for these Red Brigade characters thus far. Would be nice to see them stick around after the reality is restored.
I'm assuming they will stick around. We already know that Red Legend will be an important future character in Valiant. Given that they're making such an effort to show all of these character origins in the one-shots, it would be a little silly to never use the characters again...

Also, Kostiy's story is real well suited for Ryp's style. He's great at drawing the grisly stuff.
The Red Brigade belongs in the Stalinverse and according to Matt Kindt "it's the ultimate “what-if” scenario". I don't see how these (new) characters would be still around and even fit in the real Valiant Universe? Besides, those origins feel like Russian propaganda. Isn't this what it's supposed to be? In the Stalinverse.

Matt Kindt is *SQUEE* with us.

The Red Legend doesn't look like Wonder Woman. A skeleton knight. A gnome with antennae. A... whatever.

This is all fake! Starting with the timeline at the beginning of each issue.

Sheikhaljabal
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: Imperium
Favorite writer: Van Lente
Favorite artist: Crain

Post by Sheikhaljabal »

I hope the Brigade survives into this continuity. A crew of displeased and displaced Soviets is a perfect foe for Unity or the Armorines, for instance. I like both Red Legend and Kostiy the Deathless characters and am very curious about the other two.
Koschei the Deathless was used by John Ostrander in the great 80's Suicide Squad title; he was Jess Bright, a former first (Brave and the Bold 25) Squad member that was captured by the Chinese, transformed into a monster and switched sides, fighting for squad foes Jihad.

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

I laughed out loud when I saw her emerge from the crater. Wow so bright and warm that's the first thing you say when you don't have eye balls or skin/nerves trapped in a box buried alive aware for 300 years.
If you don't have lips or a tounge or vocal cords how do you speak.
All that stuff said I look forward to see what Valiant does with this bag of bones.
I don't see how she would not be part of Unity if she was freed in 1908 and if the devine changed that fact she's still there to be discovered. Which is exciting
I'm pretty sure if you were locked alive for 300 years you'd be mentally f ed up.
Where is the meteorite now for the passed 300 years and shouldn't others be bones since people need to get close to move it out of its crater or into that tent.
I Miss the good old days.

Beware Cyclops
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by Beware Cyclops »

Why'd I have to read that again right before lunch? facepalm

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Thegreatmagnet wrote:
Same here. And we need some new players in the universe.

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Sadly, haven't we already had a chance to read this, minus the last page? Wanna say this was tweeted out, almost the entire story line.
Moose

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Favorite title: XO Manowar

Post by Shadowman99 »

nonplayer wrote:I laughed out loud when I saw her emerge from the crater. Wow so bright and warm that's the first thing you say when you don't have eye balls or skin/nerves trapped in a box buried alive aware for 300 years.
All that stuff said I look forward to see what Valiant does with this bag of bones.
I don't see how she would not be part of Unity if she was freed in 1908 and if the devine changed that fact she's still there to be discovered. Which is exciting
I'm pretty sure if you were locked alive for 300 years you'd be mentally f ed up.
Where is the meteorite now for the passed 300 years and shouldn't others be bones since people need to get close to move it out of its crater or into that tent.
It's magic... It's all magic... :lol:

Edit: Actually, now I think about it, that genuinely seems to be Kindt's answer for a few totally nonsensical things in the VU... :|

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

Shadowman99 wrote:
nonplayer wrote:I laughed out loud when I saw her emerge from the crater. Wow so bright and warm that's the first thing you say when you don't have eye balls or skin/nerves trapped in a box buried alive aware for 300 years.

Edit: Actually, now I think about it, that genuinely seems to be Kindt's answer for a few totally nonsensical things in the VU... :|
Yes I agree that's a viable explanation.
But only sometimes.
I Miss the good old days.

Shadowman99
Favorite title: XO Manowar

Post by Shadowman99 »

nonplayer wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:

Yes I agree that's a viable explanation.
But only sometimes.
Quite! :lol: