Undervalued Gems

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

hulk181man
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite writer: Warren Ellis
Re: Undervalued Gems

Post by hulk181man »

maraxusofkeld wrote:I think that Marvel Special Edition 15 is undervalued. Shang-Chi has the potential to show up in Luke Cage or Iron Fist, he is a known character, and you can score a 9.4 copy for under $300.

This is an astute pick, people tend to overlook Shang-Chi...not sure about Batman 232, I've always thought the opposite that it might be a little overvalued.

Here's one: First Issue Special with the first Grell Warlord
"Did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts...?"

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

Most of the Shang-Chi books I see are in not great shape.

Including mine.

corey
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1st turok
Favorite character: x-o manowar
Favorite title: x-o manowar

Post by corey »

StarBrand wrote:
corey wrote:I want all the comiXpress editions of zombie tramp and I need the cursed pirate girl these are insanely hard to find I have bid on them on a few occasions and got sniped everytime they are pretty expensive but I think they are just like the mouse guard I just don't see how the value will ever drop
Wow! I've never heard of a small press print-to-order comic being sought after. Kind of cool. I think one or two of my Surprising Comics issues used Comixpress. They're out of business now. There probably aren't many Comixpress Zombie Tramps even printed.
Update: just did some quick research. One person is quoted as saying the creators stated the print run is in the low hundreds, which is actually high for a Comixpress book. I also found out Mouse Guard was initially printed by ComixPress. An issue of Mouse Guard printed by ComixPress sold for over $1,300 on eBay in 2013.

a mouse guard in 9.4 i think sold for 18xx in september?

a cursed pirate girl sold for around 6xx? was a 9.6 SS copy i think ( i was working and missed the end or i would have bid lol)

the zombie tramps are tricky if someone tells you they have the original first prints ALWAYS ask to see the back cover they will have the comixpress evolutionary theme page

the SR copies do not

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

Amazing. Thanks for the info Corey.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

GGSAE
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.

Post by GGSAE »

corey wrote:I want all the comiXpress editions of zombie tramp and I need the cursed pirate girl these are insanely hard to find I have bid on them on a few occasions and got sniped everytime they are pretty expensive but I think they are just like the mouse guard I just don't see how the value will ever drop
I think books like cursed pirate girl are very limited in demand. Yes, they're rare, but unless we see new products and fans coming into the storyline where will the demand come from?

"a mouse guard in 9.4 i think sold for 18xx in september?"
Well, isn't that the case for an over-valued book? I think that's the opposite of what we're looking for in this thread. I think long term Bone #1 would hold up in value, but I don't think it's cheap by any means.

The thing about some of these cult books reminds me of The Maxx books....I watched the ashcans go up to hundreds a dollars a piece. Yes some of them have less than five copies of those books in existence, but it's a dead product and the fan base is very limited. I wouldn't recommend speculating on anything that's already pricey unless there's new developments (books, movies, etc.) coming out in the future.

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

maraxusofkeld wrote:I think that Batman 232 is undervalued by a long shot. IMHO it is a mega key and can be had in CGC 9.4 for at or around $1000. I think he is the most important and relevant Batman villain that came after the golden age characters.
Massive book yes, but I think the move up is already priced-in for that book (aside from a continual shift in comics all going-up together over time).

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

Elveen wrote:Most of the Shang-Chi books I see are in not great shape.

Including mine.
I can't think of a time when I saw any Kung Fu books from the 70s in high grade outside of eBay.

nycjadie
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

People love female villains. They are also more likely to be considered for inclusive characters in movies and shows. One undervalued possibility is Typhoid Mary. A 9.6 is very affordable right now.

chriskay99
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Location: The surrounding metropolitan area of Los Angeles, CA

Post by chriskay99 »

Avengers 257 is the first appearance of Nebula. Still think it's undervalued. She was in the Guardians movie, and will be in Guardians 2 and Avengers Infinity War.
Black Science. Lazarus. Birthright. Saga. Manifest Destiny. Deadly Class.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

:popcorn:

maraxusofkeld
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
Valiant fan since: UNITY
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Magnus
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by maraxusofkeld »

How about some lesser Avengers characters that might show up, 1st Jacosta, Tigara?

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

nycjadie wrote:People love female villains. They are also more likely to be considered for inclusive characters in movies and shows. One undervalued possibility is Typhoid Mary. A 9.6 is very affordable right now.
Maybe under-valued in the higher grades, but how high do you think Raws will go? I see lots of collections locally where those books from that era are quite common (DD late 80s). If you can find raws in the $5 range or so yes, not sure about paying any more than that.

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

GGSAE wrote:
nycjadie wrote:People love female villains. They are also more likely to be considered for inclusive characters in movies and shows. One undervalued possibility is Typhoid Mary. A 9.6 is very affordable right now.
Maybe under-valued in the higher grades, but how high do you think Raws will go? I see lots of collections locally where those books from that era are quite common (DD late 80s). If you can find raws in the $5 range or so yes, not sure about paying any more than that.
Just to follow-up on that, a similar book is Tec 583, goes for a bit more than DD 254(?) but can still be had cheap. Given how popular Batman is and looking at Detective there's probably only 10 books tops that have any significance from issue 500-650, it could be the book to gravitate to in that run in that title.

maraxusofkeld
Valiant fan since: UNITY
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Magnus
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by maraxusofkeld »

Fantastic Four #211 1st Terrax, might be in a movie at some point, still pretty cheap for NMish copies.

hulk181man
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite writer: Warren Ellis

Post by hulk181man »

maraxusofkeld wrote:How about some lesser Avengers characters that might show up, 1st Jacosta, Tigara?

I think the first Tigra is an interesting book with ample room to grow...plus Giant Size Creatures 1 is a challenging find in higher grades.

If you're looking for interesting villainesses, Stained Glass Scarlet has potential --- 1st app. = Moon Knight 14.
"Did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts...?"

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

I think this book is cheap....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARVEL-SPOTLIGH ... SwnHZYQkab" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How many first appearance bronze books in CGC 9.4 can be had for that price?

Draco
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Valiant fan since: preordered vh1 from start
Favorite character: X-O from vh1
Favorite title: X-O vh1
Favorite writer: Good question?
Favorite artist: ooooh another good question

Post by Draco »

Ramses818 wrote:
StarBrand wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:Guys, sorry to bother but I have a question in mind: is the Longbow Hunters #1 a "gem" (1st Shado)? I found a F copy (maybe higher, no creases on the covers, pages are super clean given it's age) of it for 5 euros.
Not wanting to flip it or whatever, I bought it because I want to own the 3 books in singles. Just curious.
Thanks! :thumb:
I don't know the answer to that. Hopefully someone else does.
For sure a book to pick up cheap. Shado is Ollies baby momma. They will address this in the future so yes...very undervalued.
With this being the second prestige format book after DK returns, the print run was huge, so would have to have something big happen to make it boost. The tv show hasnt helped, so not sure what else they could do?
The new 52 series highly showcased the character too, but no movement :)
Sad as its an absolute gem, the entire Grell run being reprinted right now is an easy sell for a book close to 30 years old, with LBH actually turning 30 this year :)
I trade as Dead Universe Comics in the UK, which is no surprise to those who know of my legendary Dead Universe habit.
140 boxes and counting !!!

Follow us on facebook :)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dead-Uni ... 1695270458" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Draco

Post by Draco »

StarBrand wrote:
Elveen wrote:
StarBrand wrote:Samurai Santa?
Yep, 1st Jim Lee comic work.
I... did not know that. I always heard about Alpha Flight 53 being his first Marvel work, but not about this one. :hm:
Af 51 joint 1st with Solo Avengers # 1?
I trade as Dead Universe Comics in the UK, which is no surprise to those who know of my legendary Dead Universe habit.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dead-Uni ... 1695270458" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Draco

Post by Draco »

StarBrand wrote:I think X-Files 1 from 1995 might be an undervalued gem. It's the first comic appearance of Mulder and Sculley, and I think it's a great property that really has a place in pop culture. Plus, I don't think the print run is very high.
Agreed if they keep the license alive or it keeps its fan base. A book that was $50 that is now $1 in many places has to be worth stashing a few, nothing ventured....

:)

Draco

Post by Draco »

nycjadie wrote:Gotham City Sirens is on fire due to movie speculation. I didn't even know about this book a week ago.
These issues sell for between £7.50 and £15 a piece over here already and have for the last few years, so look for these to skyrocket, being printed just before DC dropped everything for the New 52 reboot and sales were horribly low compared to what those characters titles ( adding variants and overall interest) are doing now :)

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Thanks for the knowledge drops, and good to see you here, Draco.

Draco

Post by Draco »

GGSAE wrote:Oh ya 1991 guide value of Detective 27 in Fine was $15k. Anyone around that time remember sales of the book? :lol:

Had a chance to buy both batman #1 and Det # 27 for £4k a piece in '88, but couldnt get the funds and my mother who had recently received money from a house sale put into a pension which of course paid out terribly compared to the original predictions. We dont talk about the big miss :)

Draco

Post by Draco »

StarBrand wrote:Thanks for the knowledge drops, and good to see you here, Draco.
Been just over 5 years since we re opened a retail store and busy cannot be used to describe how my life is :)
Shall try to stay on here and make a concerted effort to read the threads at least.

:)

Draco

Post by Draco »

greg wrote:It was originally a mistake/correction/adjustment that there was a "gray Hulk" in Hulk #1 (1962) and a "green Hulk" in Hulk #2 (1962), but the storyline has separated the two types of Hulk (and other colors) for decades.

As a result, the first Hulk is definitely Hulk #1 and the value is really high (though it could still be undervalued), but I think Hulk #2 - first "green Hulk" - is the book that is definitely undervalued.

Both books are Marvel before Spider-man... early stuff.

:thumb:
Always the sinle hardest to find SA run in the UK, with UK copies being pointless to try and find graded over good lol
I still havent to date owned all six issues, which is aside from AF 15 the only books I have never had in my collection or for sale in multiples :)

Draco

Post by Draco »

maraxusofkeld wrote:I think Marvel Bronze Age keys are a good choics as they can have big price swings and when there is a lack of interest you can grab them for cheap. Back in 2011, I was able to pick up cgc 9.4 copies of Hero for Hire 1, Marvel Premiere 15, and Marvel Spotlight #5 for under $2500. With recent interest they are with a lot more now. Most Marvel Silver Age keys generally do not have a low period, although I agree there DC silver age keys are at good price points for future gains.
I advised many people in the early 2000's to buy BA keys and they are all reaping the rewards now. The 80's are next, easy pickings and in 15 years who knows :)