XO Manowar 15 Kotacki error

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

corey
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1st turok
Favorite character: x-o manowar
Favorite title: x-o manowar
Re: XO Manowar 15 Kotacki error

Post by corey »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:
corey wrote:I thought yout could just let CGC get the sigs for you without you being present?
CGC does need to be present, but I don't know about just letting them take the books to get signed. Besides, why would you give up such an amazing opportunity to meet and talk with the artist/author? To me, it's that time, the brief few minutes, that makes the sig series that much more enjoyable.

Having VDitti and Diego Bernard on that book, Slabbed at just about any grade would be worth more than it's weight in gold!
I don't have the timeto go to any cons :( .and none are what I would call close that have any good stuff/people there

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

There are a few of these miscut errors. I believe I have a couple on different issues. I honestly don't think they are worth that much except for us crazy collectors. I've bought them in the past for $5-6. In the last year, some have paid much more for them. I was surprised last night about at a miscut Harbinger 2 (I think) selling for $100. It just takes one passionate collector to drive the price on these types of things.

The miscuts are just that. I don't view them as a standard printing-wide "error" that has to be corrected.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Adam Gorham

Post by Juki »

nycjadie wrote:There are a few of these miscut errors. I believe I have a couple on different issues. I honestly don't think they are worth that much except for us crazy collectors. I've bought them in the past for $5-6. In the last year, some have paid much more for them. I was surprised last night about at a miscut Harbinger 2 (I think) selling for $100. It just takes one passionate collector to drive the price on these types of things.

The miscuts are just that. I don't view them as a standard printing-wide "error" that has to be corrected.

NYCJADIE,

Yeah, that's the one I bought of of EBay. It is '92 Harby #3. I realize that it will never be recognized. But , I didn't buy with the intent to sell or make a profit. Pure collecting pleasure here.

It is basically a short cut book with 5 sides... I haven't received it yet...but it is visually appealing to me and certainly super-odd. I suppose you could cut one yourself (or argue that someone cut it after production). The only true thing that points to the odd cut in production is the 1/2 inch or so extra paper at the top.

I have a couple of these Harby #3s. I'll just add it in. But I've never seen anything like it. This thing could be a true "one of a kind," or there could be a stack of them sitting around. Either way, it will never have the appeal of a true error like "having part of the wrong comic stapled inside." There is no arguing a "true error" happened there!

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

It will likely be a CGC green label on the miscut X-O #29. I don't think it detracts from value, since it's the only label possible. It's not like someone can hold out for a blue instead.

Miscuts aren't a publisher variation, they're a printer mess up. Printers aren't the official comic makers (like publishers), so it would be weird to let the "middleman" (printer) determine official variants, overriding their own employer... so... green label it is.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

greg wrote:It will likely be a CGC green label on the miscut X-O #29. I don't think it detracts from value, since it's the only label possible. It's not like someone can hold out for a blue instead.

Miscuts aren't a publisher variation, they're a printer mess up. Printers aren't the official comic makers (like publishers), so it would be weird to let the "middleman" (printer) determine official variants, overriding their own employer... so... green label it is.
I'm just a novice. But, I wouldn't understand how the #29 could possibly be labeled "only a miscut"... The name of the PDF file was printed across the top of the cover. This seemed to be allowed since the cover art was shifted down slightly. I am not sure if it is the file for the art work or what. Certainly more than a cutting error in my opinion. I would think that if it was mis cut the inside paper would be cut short at the bottom as well. But, who am I to think...lol! I really don't know what happened. Someone familiar with the creating process should know. I wish I had a better picture (that was the only one I had before sending off.... It was tiny and I enlarged it.) I thought that y'all were probably familiar with this error. Still cool to see...

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

Miscuts aren't a publisher variation, they're a printer mess up. Printers aren't the official comic makers (like publishers), so it would be weird to let the "middleman" (printer) determine official variants

I guess this is where I am confused. How can the Bloodshot Zero Platinum Error be a "Publisher Variation?" If printer "forgot" the gold ink... Which caused the Variant in the first place. How can you say that this comic was created by an Error caused by the "Publisher." It seems to me that the Printer caused the error. Therefore it is a Variant caused by the Printer.

I am confused here? Isn't the Platinum Error a Printing error? How did the Publisher create this color omission?

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

CGC Bloodshot Platinum Error CGC slabs actually say "printing error" on them... But they still have a blue label. So, I am still confused. Why no green label?

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

Platinum was not really an error per se, but a test run of a couple dozen copies that made it out into the world. They were purposely made, but were not meant for actual distribution. In that way they were an error.

greg

Post by greg »

All comics look like the PDF error on the X-O #29. Then, the top, bottom, and right sides are chopped off. That extra white edge with test color bar is on all comics. If you pull a copy before it's chopped, you have a "make-ready". If a copy is chopped too far down, you lose the bottom of the cover art, and you get to see the extra white at the top. Miscut.

greg

Post by greg »

Juki wrote:CGC Bloodshot Platinum Error CGC slabs actually say "printing error" on them... But they still have a blue label. So, I am still confused. Why no green label?
Because it looks official, even if it wasn't.

When comics "look wrong" they get a green label, even if they are only "wrong" because they are signed on the cover. CGC ignores the "thing that is wrong" and grades the rest of the comic... and the green label means the grade is "qualified", but you might substitute the word "otherwise" for "qualified".

It would otherwise be a 9.8, but someone wrote on it and we didn't see who... green label 9.8.

It would otherwise be a 8.5 but the printer sliced it too low... green label 8.5.

It would otherwise be a 9.4, but the edges weren't trimmed off... green label 9.4.

It would otherwise be a 9.2, but the centerfold is detached... green label 9.2.

They're not 100% consistent (like blue for Bloodshot 0 Platinum, maybe it's an error or maybe it was intentional or maybe it was an intentional error), but miscut comics are green labels, and cover signatures they didn't witness are green labels (unless the writing would not lower the grade even if it was a forgery).

Miscuts and unwitnessed sigs can (and do) happen to every comic ever printed... CGC can't have an official blue label variant for every comic ever made.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

Greg,

Ok, According to how CGC describes the use of a green label... every unintentional error should have a green label.

I thought that I had read somewhere that the Bloodshot Platinum Zero Error was a mistake (and not intentional). If that was the case, it would seem to me that the green label should have been used. I'm really not sure of the history here. Maybe they were doing a test run to see how the book would look when the error was made...and that makes some kind of difference? Being a separate run that is different than the main run? It seems to make a huge difference in the collectibility and history of the comic. If it were given a green label it wouldn't be so desirable?

Which brings me to discussing this X-O Manowar Kotacki error #15. It has part of the Quantum and Woody Comic stapled inside... Which is a printer's error...correct? So does it get a green label?

According to everything that we have discussed... It should get green. But, for those that own it... apparently the blue label would give it more collectibility.

Personally I don't think the color of a label should hold so much weight in how a book is viewed. In the case of this Kotacki error #15 will we ever know how many are out there? Does it make a difference in record keeping with CGC as to the color of the label. For instance, if this book is given a green label CGC doesn't keep track of how many of this particular error were certified. But, if CGC gives this a blue label the number of this particular error are certified and recorded (making it much more collectible in the eyes of collector's in the future).

I just noticed the Cyclops noted that there are 5 copies of this comic graded by CGC which show up as "qualified." So that is the green label. If someone turns in 10 copies of the regular version which have uncertified signatures on them...they would probably show up as "qualified" with a green label as well. Would there be anyway to figure out how many of the qualified copys were errors vs. uncertified signatures?
Last edited by Juki on Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:03:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

greg wrote:All comics look like the PDF error on the X-O #29. Then, the top, bottom, and right sides are chopped off. That extra white edge with test color bar is on all comics. If you pull a copy before it's chopped, you have a "make-ready". If a copy is chopped too far down, you lose the bottom of the cover art, and you get to see the extra white at the top. Miscut.

Ok, I see. So with all comics there is wording cut off above the top of the cover. If this shows it makes the cover a miscut. I did not know that. I thought in the case of the X-O #29 comic it was a computer error or glitch showing the PDF file....since it actually says "PDF."

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

My X-O #15 1:50 error variant is a double first signed copy by V-Ditti and James Asmus.

When I got the book I thought of CGCing it, but to me, the sigs I got on it makes it a MILLION times more valuable. To me.

It is one of the jewels in my collection. A TRUE one of one.

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Elveen wrote:My X-O #15 1:50 error variant is a double first signed copy by V-Ditti and James Asmus.

When I got the book I thought of CGCing it, but to me, the sigs I got on it makes it a MILLION times more valuable. To me.

It is one of the jewels in my collection. A TRUE one of one.
Man, I am envious of this book right here! That's like THEE double whammy! Stellar book, my friend!
Moose

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

What puzzles me is the BS rose error variant. I believe there is only 1, and that it is an unintentional error. Seems akin to me to the miscut books. The true value of it resides in it being recognized on the CGC census, as it's worth a bucket of points.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

What is the "Rose Error"? A different background color?

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

http://www.recalledcomics.com/Bloodshot0.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

Ohhh.... Yes, I remember this. Ok, I thought you were talking about a different book (Kotacki #15 error).

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

I just got that strange cut Harbinger #3 in today. 5 sided with extra material at the top and extra material at the bottom point. It doesn't fit in the bag and board without turning it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by Juki on Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:35:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

Juki wrote:I just got that strange cut Harbinger #3 in today. 5 sided with extra material at the top and extra material at the bottom point. It doesn't fit in the bag and board without turning it.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

Juki wrote:
Juki wrote:I just got that strange cut Harbinger #3 in today. 5 sided with extra material at the top and extra material at the bottom point. It doesn't fit in the bag and board without turning it.

drmirage
WOW! OMG BBQ! Thats crazy!
WOW! OMG BBQ! Thats crazy!
Valiant fan since: 1990
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by drmirage »

I would be very cautious about this book. Basically its a Variant cover 1:50 Kotaki Variant containing Quantum & Woody #1 pages.

On the Valiant price guide, there is one sale record Raw (9.2) for $407 in 2014.

Can this be easily seen if a seller manufacturers these. (removing and re-stapling and just adding Q&W #1 pages.)

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Juki »

drmirage wrote:I would be very cautious about this book. Basically its a Variant cover 1:50 Kotaki Variant containing Quantum & Woody #1 pages.

On the Valiant price guide, there is one sale record Raw (9.2) for $407 in 2014.

Can this be easily seen if a seller manufacturers these. (removing and re-stapling and just adding Q&W #1 pages.)

From what I have read on this thread... Valiant apparently recognized the error and issued a recall. So, apparently the error is real... But I guess that wouldn't stop anyone from scamming people by restapeling and "creating their own fake error books to sell." This is such a limited book already which would make forging tough. Good point to watch out for though.

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

I suppose it's possible to fake, but imagine the staples would be a giveaway. Also, high grade copies would be very difficult to copy.

The 1:50 regular cover is hard enough to find.

I believe I bought that book in 2014, and had it pressed and graded.

Elveen
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

It would not be worth the risk to take a cover off and put it on the Q&W book.

If the XO was worthless, then yes.

Very very few of these exist.