X-O Manowar #10 (2017)

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium
X-O Manowar #10 (2017)

Post by DirtbagSailor »

X-O Manowar #10 is a fantastic story with phenomenal artwork; introducing new and compelling characters, it bridges the excellence that came before, with the exciting promise of the comic book excellence that is yet to come in the pages of X-O Manowar!

http://all-comic.com/2017/x-o-manowar-10-2017/

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really
Re: X-O Manowar #10 (2017)

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

I'm very excited to go and pick this up!
Moose

otomo
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello

Post by otomo »

Beat me to the thread. Alright... I mean, at this point like I really want to offer services for editorial direction for the company. Just a few little tweaks and everything could be great. They've got the art. The problem is, this is a young world. We are still learning stories of the main characters and the like. Establishing the world and universe overall still has so much work to do and yet... we have a villain backstory full issue. This isn't Marvel where all the characters are so overdone there's nothing to tell but quirky weird stories.

I don't know again if this was a filler issue because they couldn't get the art done on time for the next ones, that could be a possibility but the fact remains:

- Valiant in the same month, put out two books which paused stories for villain backstory issues in their two flagship books, at the same time, in books that didn't feature the main character of the book at all.

If we needed proof this is overdone and not a unique concept, here it is. This should have been 2-3 pages even if that before they go hunt Aric, and even that I'm not sure is necessary given the storyline. Story wise, this should have not been greenlit.

Again, this might just be a business consideration of trying to keep books coming out on time and this was the easiest way to fill the gap between 9 and 11 but we did not need this much info on the bounty hunters. There is so much of the Aric story that hasn't even been touched 10 full issues in (why is he on the planet? how come he hasn't tried to go back to earth? what happened with the armor? where is his hot redhead wife?) that it seems a poorly paced place to do this. The last arc really didn't fulfill enough as it pushed along the pretty art + war background and the thing kind of ran its course. I was looking forward to really now that the world set up is done, getting to answers and development of Aric. But we basically got the exact same issue as Bloodshot got this month.

If this was a Space Bounty Hunters indie comic introducing these characters for their series as an issue #1, I would give this a 10/10.

Since it's X-O Manowar that doesn't even have X-O manowar in it (a little bounty hunter image at the end doesn't count)... it's a 3/10, and because the art is just so phenomenal. You know this pains me to say this as like super Matt Kindt fanboi.
Like XO Manowar or Conan The Barbarian? Check out my new graphic novel, DEUS VULT on IndieGoGo now: Deus Vult: http://igg.me/at/deusvult.

TheeBaldMoose

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

otomo wrote:Beat me to the thread. Alright... I mean, at this point like I really want to offer services for editorial direction for the company. Just a few little tweaks and everything could be great. They've got the art. The problem is, this is a young world. We are still learning stories of the main characters and the like. Establishing the world and universe overall still has so much work to do and yet... we have a villain backstory full issue. This isn't Marvel where all the characters are so overdone there's nothing to tell but quirky weird stories.

I don't know again if this was a filler issue because they couldn't get the art done on time for the next ones, that could be a possibility but the fact remains:

- Valiant in the same month, put out two books which paused stories for villain backstory issues in their two flagship books, at the same time, in books that didn't feature the main character of the book at all.

If we needed proof this is overdone and not a unique concept, here it is. This should have been 2-3 pages even if that before they go hunt Aric, and even that I'm not sure is necessary given the storyline. Story wise, this should have not been greenlit.

Again, this might just be a business consideration of trying to keep books coming out on time and this was the easiest way to fill the gap between 9 and 11 but we did not need this much info on the bounty hunters. There is so much of the Aric story that hasn't even been touched 10 full issues in (why is he on the planet? how come he hasn't tried to go back to earth? what happened with the armor? where is his hot redhead wife?) that it seems a poorly paced place to do this. The last arc really didn't fulfill enough as it pushed along the pretty art + war background and the thing kind of ran its course. I was looking forward to really now that the world set up is done, getting to answers and development of Aric. But we basically got the exact same issue as Bloodshot got this month.

If this was a Space Bounty Hunters indie comic introducing these characters for their series as an issue #1, I would give this a 10/10.

Since it's X-O Manowar that doesn't even have X-O manowar in it (a little bounty hunter image at the end doesn't count)... it's a 3/10, and because the art is just so phenomenal. You know this pains me to say this as like super Matt Kindt fanboi.
While I see where you are coming from, I just can't agree with you. I would say this book was necessary to continue the story of Aric. He's conquered the world he lives on, and while we still have questions, I am sure they will be answered in time, that time is just not now.

I feel this book was NEEDED to keep the story interesting. If this were condensed down to two or three pages, there would be even more questions that would go unanswered. Here, we get the deepest meaning of "why", something that will resonate through the rest of this arc and book. How deep does friendship go? At the core, when all things are stripped away, does Aric have the resolve to stick to what he believes in? More importantly, as these bounty hunters start chipping away at his inner circle, will they stay loyal? Will they still chose to fight by his side? Someone is bound to.

People are going to die in the next several books, now we know why. It's obvious the woman he was sleeping with is first on that list. Would you not question why she was the first to be killed, if it was shortened down to 2 or 3 pages? 2 or 3 pages wouldn't describe the importance of Hesid to Rawn.

Furthermore, having a whole book set aside for these four Bounty Hunters tells me of their importance to the rest of this series. It potentially pushes it way past the dreaded 12 issues we initially feared (current arc has it slated for 14 issues). With that, we STILL can revisit all the above questions you have regarding this book. Now, we can focus on at least 24 issues or more as none of those questions need to be answered any time soon.

Also, factor in this. At some point, if and when Psy-Lords gets started, where do you think they will appear first? Well, we already have the teaser from issue #1 regarding a space ship, so doesn't it make sense that Psy-Lords gets its start with the X-O Manowar book? Even more questions, more battles, and most importantly, more books! We could feasibly see 36 issues in this run!
Moose

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

VCR don't quit fo' chrissmas!

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [& Eternity #3], please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr147/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

otomo
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello

Post by otomo »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:
otomo wrote:Beat me to the thread. Alright... I mean, at this point like I really want to offer services for editorial direction for the company. Just a few little tweaks and everything could be great. They've got the art. The problem is, this is a young world. We are still learning stories of the main characters and the like. Establishing the world and universe overall still has so much work to do and yet... we have a villain backstory full issue. This isn't Marvel where all the characters are so overdone there's nothing to tell but quirky weird stories.

While I see where you are coming from, I just can't agree with you. I would say this book was necessary to continue the story of Aric. He's conquered the world he lives on, and while we still have questions, I am sure they will be answered in time, that time is just not now.

I feel this book was NEEDED to keep the story interesting. If this were condensed down to two or three pages, there would be even more questions that would go unanswered. Here, we get the deepest meaning of "why", something that will resonate through the rest of this arc and book. How deep does friendship go? At the core, when all things are stripped away, does Aric have the resolve to stick to what he believes in? More importantly, as these bounty hunters start chipping away at his inner circle, will they stay loyal? Will they still chose to fight by his side? Someone is bound to.

People are going to die in the next several books, now we know why. It's obvious the woman he was sleeping with is first on that list. Would you not question why she was the first to be killed, if it was shortened down to 2 or 3 pages? 2 or 3 pages wouldn't describe the importance of Hesid to Rawn.

Furthermore, having a whole book set aside for these four Bounty Hunters tells me of their importance to the rest of this series. It potentially pushes it way past the dreaded 12 issues we initially feared (current arc has it slated for 14 issues). With that, we STILL can revisit all the above questions you have regarding this book. Now, we can focus on at least 24 issues or more as none of those questions need to be answered any time soon.

Also, factor in this. At some point, if and when Psy-Lords gets started, where do you think they will appear first? Well, we already have the teaser from issue #1 regarding a space ship, so doesn't it make sense that Psy-Lords gets its start with the X-O Manowar book? Even more questions, more battles, and most importantly, more books! We could feasibly see 36 issues in this run!
If this is a Psy-lords birth story that leads to that, I'll recant lol. If it ends up a filler issue of some villains who hang for 3-4 issues, well, let's circle back in a few months. :) On an issue by issue basis at this point, I don't like the time spent in the middle of the book.
Like XO Manowar or Conan The Barbarian? Check out my new graphic novel, DEUS VULT on IndieGoGo now: Deus Vult: http://igg.me/at/deusvult.

TheeBaldMoose

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

oh, I don't believe this arc will lead directly to the Psy-Lords, but sometime in the future, with this book...
Moose

Summydad1
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: X-O/Bloodshot/Ninjak/Rai
Favorite title: X-O (2012)/Harby (2012)
Favorite writer: Kindt/Venditti/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS/Braithwaite/Crain

Post by Summydad1 »

I kinda enjoyed this issue. I was becoming bored with the series and it was a nice change. Also the art! 8/10.
"Do. Or do not. There is no try" -Yoda

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

I haven't read the issue yet, but I have to say that I want to know that antagonists have a backstory too, that they have their own motivations that aren't quickly hashed out in 2-3 pages before they go hunting for the protagonists.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

tell
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by tell »

kjjohanson wrote:

I haven't read the issue yet, but I have to say that I want to know that antagonists have a backstory too, that they have their own motivations that aren't quickly hashed out in 2-3 pages before they go hunting for the protagonists.
Agreed, I'm not fond of a lot of editorial decisions lately this I like. I was getting tired of this series because it feels like an endless progression of "another stronger opponent appears". We have another world, 4 or 5 alien races, dozens of characters and I know dick about most of them. A backstory about the antagonists? Please! Please give me story and not just plot points and pretty pages. This book is exciting, but a year in and I'm not sure what I've learned, it's like a Michael Bay movie, big exciting, pretty to look at, but what's the point?

This issue was a breath of fresh air.

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

Ok just got my comics they were delayed by the holidays.
I'd like to make a small point.
On planet Gorin we see this weasel of a being make a call to the bounty Hunter.
Wasn't he cashing in a favor?
What would the weasely man have to offer to the bounty hunters For them to come to their aid against Aric?
Destroying a whole prison to rescue 2 beings. And melting ice caps and destroying another prison.
That's a lot of work to rescue three being to help with a job that doesn't pay anything.
No bounty Hunter would except a job like that on just the word of one weasel dude.
One point In favour. The animals growing huge as mountains is awsome. And the bipedal creachers existing off its parasites. That is an awsome idea.
I agree with you guys why do we need a whole comic back story just to kill the bounty hunters off. But it does make for a visually stunning epic so I don't mind this at all.
But again Valiant doesn't finish stuff off they love to make all thease set ups and things not complete it's getting florking annoying. And it will be soon time to send an email to Dinesh.

What did Aric actuelly get from the Torment because he doesn't seem any more intelligent or special.
Where are the tails shelob suposedly has one and I look at all of her beings and I never see a tail.
So meny lose ends it's like a closed rock climbing gym.
But it's xo so I'm in for the long haul dispite loose ends.
So the kid finds a weird helmet puts it on and is cool. Makes another weird helmet for some other kid. What's with weird helmets.
I Miss the good old days.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

I thought this was the best issue of the run so far. I’m happy the section was paused to get an in-depth look at new charcuterie (which will hopefully be around for years to come, or at least Rawn and Hesnid will, the other will probably get smoked). Kindt has done a tremendous job in creating so many new characters which Valiant can use for years to come, however as we’re getting them issue after issue it’s tricky to keep up with whose who. Having this detailed story of Rawn will make it more impactful when he goes after Aric. The last page where they say the plan was to go after the ones he loves was a great cliffhanger.

I know there are so many unanswered questions about how he got to Gorin and the deal with the armour etc but what’s the rush in getting to all that yet? We’ll get there eventually.

Enjoyed the art from Guedes too, although similarl to Crain in style , I feel his art is a little clearer to see what’s happening.

4.5/5 :clap:

tell

Post by tell »

nonplayer wrote:...But again Valiant doesn't finish stuff off they love to make all thease set ups and things not complete it's getting florking annoying. And it will be soon time to send an email to Dinesh...
LOL, I can only imagine the emails Dinesh receives.

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: V-Diddy
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Sven the Returned »

It is amazing. Cannot wait for the next issue.

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

I thought this was a pretty good interlude, gave us some insight on these new villains, while still leaving things a little unclear with Hesnid, which’ll probably be explored in this next arc...
#StayValiant

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: V-Diddy
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Sven the Returned »

One of the bounty hunter masks looks SW Republic Commandoish but i do not mind it one bit.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Great issue. I love the world building stuff... so many concepts and characters being explored. The art was off the hook. This is way more interesting than another issue watching Aric battling yet another Cadmium general.

It's the stuff that made Armor Hunters so interesting, the backstories of Reebo and company.