What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

slym2none
a typical message board assassin
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by slym2none »

:headbang:

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

ilzuccone
Valiant fan since: VEI

Post by ilzuccone »

Elveen wrote:Just got caught up on:

TWD. Wow. As good as it's ever been.
East of West. It tied with Harby/X-O for my favorite reads in the last few years. Amazing
Manifest Destiny. Something finally happened. It was worth the wait. Dig this book.
Man i'm so far behind on TWD. in hardcover eight the story started dragging for me. but i hear issue 100 is phenomenal. need to get back on that crazy roller coaster.

ilzuccone

Post by ilzuccone »

slym2none wrote:
ilzuccone wrote:
slym2none wrote:This is what I have read so far this year:

<snip>
slacker
There's a dude on the CGC site that has (claimed) to read over 900 comics already. I think he's full of *SQUEE*, but if anyone wants to believe him, they are welcome to it.

:D

-slym
Was it chiclo on OTV that said he can read up to 100 comics in a day? something like that. i'm lucky to get 2 pages done before i have to wipe.

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

:o

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

I used to be able to read that many now of days I'm lucky to read one issue.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

caxiotis
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Valiant fan since: 1991

Post by caxiotis »

Read surrogates owners manual. I thought the first story was 3.5/5, but second story was 3/5. Overall nice read
Pull List: I only buy TPB's, HC's and Hellboy comics

Captain Craig
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: XO Manowar/Shadowman
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: tough one

Post by Captain Craig »

Captain Craig wrote: I picked up Spawn #250 even though I've not actively followed the book in some time. Last issue I read was #200. I got a few pages into this extra sized issue and realized it was too late, 11pm plus was becoming evident. I will say that Sam&Twitch were featured which are characters I did read of "back in the day". There was lots of narrative in the 5/6 pages I read about a massive insect and varmint swarm taking place choking the city. No Spawn yet to appear, all set up in the first few pages. I'll finish it tonight!
I finished Spawn #250 and I didn't find a compelling narrative to the conclusion of the story where the current Spawn(Jim Downing) ends up battling the suit. Which to my surprise is referred to as a symbiote now(shades of Spidey again). When Jim and the Costume(actually called Costume in the narrative) battle in this "Dead Zone" in an alley and both seemingly cancel each other out(die?) the perviously thought dead Al Simmons returns, in the costume with literally no explanation. Jim/Costume get consumed by "the light" and then a few panels later Al re-emerges in the costume.

The best parts of the story were the Sam&Twitch panels that double as an Mulder/Scully X-Files light story following Spawns clues.

I'm guessing an explanation might be forthcoming in the Spawn Resurrection #1 one shot but I'm not compelled enough to pick it up next month and continue into Spawn #251 in April.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

mkb28 wrote:
jeremycoe wrote:I just finished the first arc of Copperhead. I really liked it.
I have the first trade on my DCBS order. :thumb: Looking forward to reading it.

mkb28
I love Copperhead so far - the first story arc is great!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brother Darque
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Brother Darque »

i got the first issue of The Black Hood, it's a great start to a new series.

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

My current top three favorite non-Valiant books are Lazarus, East of West & Drifter... in that order, I think. I'm a mega-geek for good sci-fi books, these three are all outstanding.

The latest story arc of Lazarus has added soo much to the overall world-building & expansion of the plot... it has now surpassed EoW for me in its excellence.

I highly recommend reading this book from month to month, though - the backmatter in each issue adds much to the enjoyment of the book by expanding on the background info about the world. It contains generally thought-provoking letters from readers, and Greg Rucka also has a segment where he discusses things happening in the real world now that inform his imagination & ideas for the book - everything from political climate to actual existing medical science & tech that he extrapolates from. The hardcover collection is a close second experience though - plenty of amazing stuff in there including a world map of all the family controlled territories.

EoW is absolutely amazing, too - it continues to be such an impressive read. Nuff said there.

Drifter rounds out my top three, its a new one on the block with only 4 issues out - but the art is staggeringly good by Nic Klein, and the story is a sci-fi with a western feel [only a little bit like Copperhead] - more of a Wild West fringe element on an alien planet with human settlements that is also becoming a very intriguing & surreal tale.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

I read the TPBs, volumes 2-6, of The Sixth Gun last night. It's a really good story, I kind of can't believe the TV option fell through. Can't wait to get the rest of the story!

-slym (read vol. 1 last year)

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

I just received all 10 trades of "Y The Last Man" today and I am very excited to read this series. :cloud9: I really enjoyed "Ex Machina" and I hear this series is an excellent read too.

mkb28

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Finally started catching up on comics last night. I have about 15 books left to catch up on VEI (minus Q&W books - I'll get to them, but they'll be last).
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Any Grant Morrison fans in da haus?

Anyone reading his new series, Nameless? I'm really liking it so far, two issues in.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

slym2none wrote:I read the TPBs, volumes 2-6, of The Sixth Gun last night. It's a really good story, I kind of can't believe the TV option fell through. Can't wait to get the rest of the story!

I just read TSG tpbs 1-3.
I really really enjoyed it. I'm surprised the tv show fell through.
This is a very good story and the art and colors are a good match.
I give the Sixth Gun a :thumb:

Elveen
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

I also just read the 1st 2 Morning Glories tpbs.
I can't tell if it is good or just not.
I'm interested in reading #3 but I get a feeling that it might meander.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Elveen wrote:
slym2none wrote:I read the TPBs, volumes 2-6, of The Sixth Gun last night. It's a really good story, I kind of can't believe the TV option fell through. Can't wait to get the rest of the story!

I just read TSG tpbs 1-3.
I really really enjoyed it. I'm surprised the tv show fell through.
This is a very good story and the art and colors are a good match.
I give the Sixth Gun a :thumb:
I always hear nothing but good things about that series. Definitely gonna check it out at some point.

Savant
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Savant »

grendeljd wrote:Any Grant Morrison fans in da haus?

Anyone reading his new series, Nameless? I'm really liking it so far, two issues in.
Good to hear on Nameless. I'm trade-waiting that one, as well as Annihilator.

I have been reading Multiversity which has been pretty good, overall.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Savant wrote:

No spoilers, but Nameless is kind of like a fusion of the movie Event Horizon & the video game Dead Space, only fillled with clever & weirder concepts. Really cool mix of occult & sci-fi.

I missed out on Annihilator, but I'll keep an eye out for that in trade. I'm just not into any DC enough right now to feel a spark of interest in Multiversity, despite hearing reasonably good things about it.

Savant

Post by Savant »

grendeljd wrote:
Savant wrote:

No spoilers, but Nameless is kind of like a fusion of the movie Event Horizon & the video game Dead Space, only fillled with clever & weirder concepts. Really cool mix of occult & sci-fi.

I missed out on Annihilator, but I'll keep an eye out for that in trade. I'm just not into any DC enough right now to feel a spark of interest in Multiversity, despite hearing reasonably good things about it.
Obviously, Multiversity isn't finished yet, so it remains to be seen, but when it becomes collected in trade/hardcover format, I'd highly suggest it. The majority of it has been enjoyable, and there's no connection to the current goings-on of the DC Universe (as in you don't need to be reading DC titles to get a grasp of what's going on, it's fairly stand-alone).

The only recent Morrison title I had no interest in was Happy, based off the advertised concept.

And based on what you said, Nameless sounds like something to look forward to.

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

Five TPBs in on "Invincible." Kirkman can write a pretty good superhero story!

:clap:

-slym

ilzuccone

Post by ilzuccone »

slym2none wrote:Five TPBs in on "Invincible." Kirkman can write a pretty good superhero story!

:clap:

-slym
oh man that's a good book. kirkman's true talent is writing an ongoing series. around hardcover 7 i started losing a little interest. Then BAM volume 8 pulls me right back in. 9 was fantastic.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Cyberstrike wrote:
Savant wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
nscc wrote:
TheFerg714 wrote:
lorddunlow wrote: No Invincible?
Is it any good? Contrary to my pull-list I'm not the biggest Kirkman fan. I really just like TWD (and I like the show a lot more than the comic). And I've kind of heard bad things about it... Like it's too overly-obsessed with blood and gore and death? Idk.. I've read the first few issues and they were ok...
It is Amazing!

When I became active on here about a year and change ago, Invincible came HIGHLY recommended. I listened and am happy I did. It is the best superhero comic ever. I LOVE spider-man and Batman from the Big 2. Have since I was a child, but Invincible kicks their *SQUEE* on so many levels. It does have quite a bit of blood and gore and death, but it serves its purpose. I wouldn't say it is gratuitous at all, it has the right level.

The first few issues are nothing amazing, but the stories keep getting better and better and there are so many surprises and shocks.

I can't recommend it enough. Give it a shot a few arcs in and you will be hooked too!!

The big 48 issue compendiums are a great way to get into it for a low cost.

Also, welcome, don't listen to that dunlow guy about the Candians, his custom title will confirm that he "doth protest too much"!!

:thumb: ;)
+1 on the Invincible recommendation - and if you try it again beyond a few issues, stick with reading it at least up to #12-13. A Big, Big story arc comes to fruition there, and it's usually the clincher that sucks people completely into the book for good.

And welcome to the boards!
I just finished the first Ultimate Collection of Invincible (hardcover which collects issues 1-13).....I wasn't wowed by it, and neither the plot twist nor the seeds for a new story arc had me hooked. The first 13 issues/chapters were OK, but not good enough to keep me interested in going further.

That said, I'll give the second hardcover a chance, as I've been told the weakest section of Invincible is the first 12-13 issues, and that it gets much better, afterward.
My rule: if an ongoing series hasn't impressed me after 12 issues then it's not a series that never will impress me and isn't worth my time and money.
That's a lot of negatives in one sentence...

(Sorry for the necro-quote, but for some reason my Tapatalk app likes to take me so real pages back whenever I open this thread.)

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

And oddly enough, the necro-quote is completely on topic. :screwy:

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

lorddunlow wrote:And oddly enough, the necro-quote is completely on topic. :screwy:
I was wondering about the glitch you mentioned - on my iPhone, through Safari browsing the site, I have the same problem. It always seems to land on a page about 7 back from the current one when I select the new post icon. I have this problem with several threads, actually...