VALIANT SOLD

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

The Chosen 1
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis Larosa
Re: VALIANT SOLD

Post by The Chosen 1 »

I'm going to take the Glass half full attitude.
While they may not be intent on expanding the comic line, the comics are going to be their source material, and i think they'd be crazy not to provide a level of support to this line, ensuring that they have material and characters for future movies.
You never know, this could be a good thing. I'm also concerned that this will be an Acclaim V2.0, but i'm hoping this will finally bring all the characters to the big screen, that most of us have wanted for so long.
As long as the editorial team remain intact, the quality shouldn't drop off, and this may actually attract screen writers to develop comic stories.

The moment Valiant accepted DMG money, this was always going to be the inevitable outcome.
The Force is with Me, I am One with the Force

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

I just saw the news that the Dr. Mirage show on CW was greenlit this morning now that DMG has full ownership. I have two thoughts upon hearing this:

1. Is there any possibility that DMG was dragging their feet and slowing things down in order to trigger the clause that gave them full control? (I know, all we need in this is more conspiracy theory mixed in with everything going on today. Sorry, but I gotta voice the thought in my head.)
2. We kept hearing from Dinesh that the TV and movies and such were coming, and they would be announced and released WHEN THEY WERE READY AND AS GOOD AS THEY COULD BE. To make them right and not just churn stuff out in order to push stuff out to market. If I was trusting Dinesh and believing in him (and I do), then I gotta believe that this property wasn't ready/right enough to go out into the world yet, and now we hear it's suddenly surging out the gate now that the 'quality threshold' shackles imposed by Dinesh are thrown off.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

jaspersk
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by jaspersk »

Clearly very bad news
Nobody except the dedicated were buying
Which is a shame considering the stories art have bern
Mostly good. I don’t know how comic book companies operate
And what amount of revenue is necessary to stay afloat
Im assuming the $ wasn’t enough so they took on investors
Hoping the hype of movies would generate more interest
The problem is a lot of people stores are still sore from the last time
Now hopefully though these *SQUEE* who bought the company
Do plan on making a viable business out of Valiant
Maybe they will wield the power and money also to acquire
The gold key characters.
Does someone there have a vision?
The question is who they hire- famboys, hollywood show-runners- ?
Right now this is not good news
However i think Valiant could have done more
Told more stories the last few years
The amount of titles are sparse.
Hope for the best since my comics went from
Valuable to worthless to valuable again
Who the f knows at this point
But hopefully these people will make $
And do the characters justice

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

At least we got some cool video games out of the Acclaim years. Hopefully we get some of those out of the DMG years.

Sent from my HTC U Ultra using Tapatalk
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Jace
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite artist: Clay Mann

Post by Jace »

Blood of Heroes wrote:Here’s to Dino

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice glass mother ****** Sorry you couldn't join us. Miss you brother ....see you soon, I hope!

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

BugsySig wrote:No one sold shares. This isn’t exactly like like the Acclaim deal. It was an automatic transfer of shares for a predetermined amount based on a contractual clause. So no one was “cashing out” in this deal. Those people who were bought out will make money, but it doesn’t sound like it was their choice to sell. But the lack of progress on the film from is likely why VEI didn’t have the options to avoid the buy out.

Now that new ownership moves in and thy want their own people in charge. Out with old, in with the new.

These types of agreements are actually quite common. Some individual or company invests in a start up and expects a return on their investment. If they don’t get it after a period of time, their return is the ability to buy you out. If they do, then they are going to do everything they can to turn a profit, even if it means running the company into the ground. I hate to yell, “DOOM!”, but I’d expect this to be the beginning of the end, at least for VALIANT as we know it.
Very informative. Thanks for that.
valiantdude wrote:I don't mean to rub salt on a wound here, but I've been saying this was going to happen for a while. When XO ended its run at 50 and they lost their initial momentum that they had which was pretty amazing in the year 2012, 2013, I knew s*** was sinking.. they kept trying and trying and missed the mark on huge characters like Eternal Warrior and Shadow Man, they definitely had good moments of quality Comics, but in general it didn't have that extra bit of energy that it needed to become the third biggest publisher again, it could have easily been really successful, if they had embraced the original creators, in addition to the new creators, they would have done better they could have meshed the veteran knowledge with the new school knowledge, kind of like 80s Marvel, or 90s valiant.... a sad day, I know for all here and the beginning of a new chapter of the Valiant story, for better or worse so wild...
You're just very very wrong about that. Unity, Armor Hunters, The Valiant, Bloodshot Reborn, Book of Death, (the beginning of) Wrath of the Eternal Warrior, Faith, Kindt's X-O, Secret Weapons, Bloodshot Salvation, Ninja-K and probably a few others I can't think of at the moment were huge successes, rivaling anything they'd done in 2012-2013. Right now, almost everything is selling around 9-10k. Those are REALLY strong numbers for an indie company. Granted, it's this relatively small number of sales that probably spurred this buyout, but compared to their direct competitors, they've been doing pretty damn good numbers since they've been around.
X-O getting canceled at 50 is not a good reason to think that s*** was sinking. It's emblematic of every other comic book in the 21st century. Very few characters can break the curse of declining readers every month.
valiantdude wrote:From my perspective, as a longtime Valiant fan, this opens the door for the books to be how they originally should have been, there were too many holes too many editorial snafus, too many reboots, and generally not very intellectual, just same old same old... so hopefully when they do the universe relaunch in about 6 to 12 months, they can bring shooter back on, and David Lapham and some of the old school guys and really step up the quality of Storytelling in addition to the modernization of the comic book itself... they missed the boat on what made the original Valiant great and stick out and it was the depth of Storytelling the tight continuity, and so many other things that were neglected in this new startup
:rant: Are you high? Shooter and Lapham are never coming back and nuValiant is never going to hearken back to the original days. Not everything that Valiant did in the 90's was good. In fact, a lot of it sucked. Where most of VEI's output has been solid-to-great, VH1's was only really great for the first two years, and even that has to be read with nostalgia-visors to think it was better than what VEI published.

valiantdude
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!

Post by valiantdude »

TheFerg714 wrote:
BugsySig wrote:No one sold shares. This isn’t exactly like like the Acclaim deal. It was an automatic transfer of shares for a predetermined amount based on a contractual clause. So no one was “cashing out” in this deal. Those people who were bought out will make money, but it doesn’t sound like it was their choice to sell. But the lack of progress on the film from is likely why VEI didn’t have the options to avoid the buy out.

Now that new ownership moves in and thy want their own people in charge. Out with old, in with the new.

These types of agreements are actually quite common. Some individual or company invests in a start up and expects a return on their investment. If they don’t get it after a period of time, their return is the ability to buy you out. If they do, then they are going to do everything they can to turn a profit, even if it means running the company into the ground. I hate to yell, “DOOM!”, but I’d expect this to be the beginning of the end, at least for VALIANT as we know it.
Very informative. Thanks for that.
valiantdude wrote:I don't mean to rub salt on a wound here, but I've been saying this was going to happen for a while. When XO ended its run at 50 and they lost their initial momentum that they had which was pretty amazing in the year 2012, 2013, I knew s*** was sinking.. they kept trying and trying and missed the mark on huge characters like Eternal Warrior and Shadow Man, they definitely had good moments of quality Comics, but in general it didn't have that extra bit of energy that it needed to become the third biggest publisher again, it could have easily been really successful, if they had embraced the original creators, in addition to the new creators, they would have done better they could have meshed the veteran knowledge with the new school knowledge, kind of like 80s Marvel, or 90s valiant.... a sad day, I know for all here and the beginning of a new chapter of the Valiant story, for better or worse so wild...
You're just very very wrong about that. Unity, Armor Hunters, The Valiant, Bloodshot Reborn, Book of Death, (the beginning of) Wrath of the Eternal Warrior, Faith, Kindt's X-O, Secret Weapons, Bloodshot Salvation, Ninja-K and probably a few others I can't think of at the moment were huge successes, rivaling anything they'd done in 2012-2013. Right now, almost everything is selling around 9-10k. Those are REALLY strong numbers for an indie company. Granted, it's this relatively small number of sales that probably spurred this buyout, but compared to their direct competitors, they've been doing pretty damn good numbers since they've been around.
X-O getting canceled at 50 is not a good reason to think that s*** was sinking. It's emblematic of every other comic book in the 21st century. Very few characters can break the curse of declining readers every month.
valiantdude wrote:From my perspective, as a longtime Valiant fan, this opens the door for the books to be how they originally should have been, there were too many holes too many editorial snafus, too many reboots, and generally not very intellectual, just same old same old... so hopefully when they do the universe relaunch in about 6 to 12 months, they can bring shooter back on, and David Lapham and some of the old school guys and really step up the quality of Storytelling in addition to the modernization of the comic book itself... they missed the boat on what made the original Valiant great and stick out and it was the depth of Storytelling the tight continuity, and so many other things that were neglected in this new startup
:rant: Are you high? Shooter and Lapham are never coming back and nuValiant is never going to hearken back to the original days. Not everything that Valiant did in the 90's was good. In fact, a lot of it sucked. Where most of VEI's output has been solid-to-great, VH1's was only really great for the first two years, and even that has to be read with nostalgia-visors to think it was better than what VEI published.
am i high? not yet...about to roll one though...haha

there is now potential that shooter get work there at DMG, the people he had a problem with are gone, if he wanted to he could...
If he got fired up, he could ask lapham to work with him, maybe like one issue, probably a longshot, but not impossible..
Most of VH1 sucked, but what was good still holds up, its rereadable..i still read unity once a year or so, the BWS stuff, just Grade A books...
Im sorry..some of VEIs storytelling just sucked, I thought RAI was going to be the *SQUEE*, pretty bland story, barely legible art for example..
Ive seen some of the worst editing in VEI books, really bad..
How you define solid to great must be way different than my definition my friend :)
Im not the only one who thinks it was missing something vital..missing magic..

I think Shooter would welcome the work, if even he was offered a book, like lets say Harbinger..it would be good..
VEI schluffed the original creators, when they shouldve embraced them

TheFerg714

Post by TheFerg714 »

valiantdude wrote:Most of VH1 sucked, but what was good still holds up, its rereadable..i still read unity once a year or so, the BWS stuff, just Grade A books...
Oh, so like two things?
Im sorry..some of VEIs storytelling just sucked, I thought RAI was going to be the *SQUEE*, pretty bland story, barely legible art for example..
SOME of VEI's storytelling just sucked. MOST of VH1's storytelling sucked. Rai's story might have bland, but the art (while being illegible sometimes), was awesome and unique.
How you define solid to great must be way different than my definition my friend :)
Clearly your definition consists of 90's books with obviously inferior artwork, boring dialogue, and an emphasis on continuity over telling a good story.
Im not the only one who thinks it was missing something vital..missing magic..
I'm only saying that VEI made better books than VH1 ever did.
I think Shooter would welcome the work, if even he was offered a book, like lets say Harbinger..it would be good..
Didn't Dinesh offer him a job when he first bought the company?

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

well if you don't know the shooter vei story there are previous threads, go and educate yourself it's not pretty...it ends with Jim being mistreated and lawyers..

Clearly your definition consists of 90's books with obviously inferior artwork, boring dialogue, and an emphasis on continuity over telling a good story.

ummm..no not at all actually

vei didn't for me, have a timelessness and depth, didn't have an archetypical energy that drew you in..the guys at vh1 were super pros that knew the real craft of comics, comics may look prettier now in a way, but mostly lacking where it counts, which is an almost esoteric understanding of storytelling..

TheFerg714

Post by TheFerg714 »

valiantdude wrote:well if you don't know the shooter vei story there are previous threads, go and educate yourself it's not pretty...it ends with Jim being mistreated and lawyers..

ummm..no not at all actually

vei didn't for me, have a timelessness and depth, didn't have an archetypical energy that drew you in..the guys at vh1 were super pros that knew the real craft of comics, comics may look prettier now in a way, but mostly lacking where it counts, which is an almost esoteric understanding of storytelling..
I disagree, but sorry for flaming you, I'm kind of in a bad mood, so I'll stop here.

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

haha....wait...I got flamed...*SQUEE* I didn't even notice, I actually thought you were making a valid point on that state of post unity vh1, sometimes I forget there is difference and just say vh1...my bad

TheFerg714

Post by TheFerg714 »

valiantdude wrote:haha....wait...I got flamed...*SQUEE* I didn't even notice, I actually thought you were making a valid point on that state of post unity vh1, sometimes I forget there is difference and just say vh1...my bad
Well, I mean, I believe everything I wrote, I just felt a little harsh because I was annoyed at someone (you) looking at a positive side to this whole debacle.

But hey, I don't have anything bad to say about solar(1-10) or Unity though. That s*** was fantastic. I'm one issue away from collecting all of BWS's A&A too, so I'm hoping that impresses me.

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: V-Diddy
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Sven the Returned »

The Chosen 1 wrote:I'm going to take the Glass half full attitude.
While they may not be intent on expanding the comic line, the comics are going to be their source material, and i think they'd be crazy not to provide a level of support to this line, ensuring that they have material and characters for future movies.
You never know, this could be a good thing. I'm also concerned that this will be an Acclaim V2.0, but i'm hoping this will finally bring all the characters to the big screen, that most of us have wanted for so long.
As long as the editorial team remain intact, the quality shouldn't drop off, and this may actually attract screen writers to develop comic stories.

The moment Valiant accepted DMG money, this was always going to be the inevitable outcome.
Not like V has much brand recogition. Script writers can come up with new characters. Almost nobody will scream about it.

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Phoenix8008 wrote:I just saw the news that the Dr. Mirage show on CW was greenlit this morning now that DMG has full ownership. I have two thoughts upon hearing this:

1. Is there any possibility that DMG was dragging their feet and slowing things down in order to trigger the clause that gave them full control? (I know, all we need in this is more conspiracy theory mixed in with everything going on today. Sorry, but I gotta voice the thought in my head.)
2. We kept hearing from Dinesh that the TV and movies and such were coming, and they would be announced and released WHEN THEY WERE READY AND AS GOOD AS THEY COULD BE. To make them right and not just churn stuff out in order to push stuff out to market. If I was trusting Dinesh and believing in him (and I do), then I gotta believe that this property wasn't ready/right enough to go out into the world yet, and now we hear it's suddenly surging out the gate now that the 'quality threshold' shackles imposed by Dinesh are thrown off.
1. Yes. That thought occurred to me too.
2. Yes. That thought occurred to me too.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

WrathOfArmstrong
Valiant fan since: April 2017
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Wrath of Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditte

Post by WrathOfArmstrong »

BugsySig wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote:I just saw the news that the Dr. Mirage show on CW was greenlit this morning now that DMG has full ownership. I have two thoughts upon hearing this:

1. Yes. That thought occurred to me too.
2. Yes. That thought occurred to me too.
I'm sure it had everything to do with everything. And NvsVU being delayed is in that category of DMG trying to protect the product because the webseries was not going to be up to snuff.

...and just to clarify my liking of the unsiloing comic book writers comment earlier (playing catch up)... It's merely because I think comic book writers are generally better writers than most film writers. And I think they would be more likely to be true to the source material than say one of those guys that proclaims he's never read the comic and would never be caught reading a comic book that we get outside of Marvel quite often.

But I am in agreement that it is worrying that he values the films over the comics. I really am tired of films these days... I'm having trouble connecting, remembering, or even wanting to rewatch anything. I might just be becoming a crotchety old man in my mid-thirties. But I'm in that phase where I'll watch a movie (probably pre-2000s and on back to the 1930s) and think 'why am I watching this other crap--movies were so much better back then...".

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

im going with the we shall see the big oney is in moving properties in to tv and movies long as that happens sooner or later the new company should be ok with leaving the comics in control as its moving for more matirial as marvel does

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.

Post by possumgrease »

So what should we call this era? I'm thinking DaMaGed Valiant...

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

possumgrease wrote:So what should we call this era? I'm thinking DaMaGed Valiant...
I like it!
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

So Dinesh got the web series made. And the release got curbed. So what is the deal? Did DMG say um no to free web series.
Does the web series debackle play into this??
You dont get forced resignation by doing things right.
I Miss the good old days.

jakgrimm

Post by jakgrimm »

I have to agree with valiantdude. Something was missing. The decompressed story telling and plot holes, ugh. Lack of continuity is a hallmark of bad writing and or editing. I understand most books today are decompressed (or uncompressed) but Valiant of the 90s did everything differently. Why couldn't the valiant of 2012? People might have flocked to a company that was giving them more bang for their buck. Instead we got Gilad firing double uzis out of a moon roof (while driving) and not having fought in any war for the last fifty years.

Every VEI book was better than Unity and Solar 1-10? Seriously? lol
Time to take a dump. -Torque

SuperMage
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Favorite character: Animalia

Post by SuperMage »

nonplayer wrote:So Dinesh got the web series made. And the release got curbed. So what is the deal? Did DMG say um no to free web series.
Does the web series debackle play into this??
You dont get forced resignation by doing things right.
The fact that the web series was free might have been a factor that lead to its delay. Valiant was supposed to return its investment, and a free web series wouldn't earn any money. Part of me thinks Ninjak Vs might end up being changed into a pilot episode for a CW show.

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by pixierosa »

Well, one thing is for certain, which is that all of the books currently in works or finished but not yet released will remain the same quality that we expect. Any new product releases like shirts, etc., were already in the works with Dinesh in the lead. I've noticed that Valiant has taken to note pre-announcing those type of things as much, waiting until release - which is smart, otherwise the inevitable "whatever happened to x" or "when will X be available" will happen - like with the trading cards.

I feel indignant on behalf of Dinesh because you just know that DMG will claim these things as their own ingenuity and productiveness, when in reality, it's just them stealing recognition, like the useless participant on a group project. Probably sounds snarky, but like I said, I feel indignant for those who have worked on these projects then have the credit go to another company - because I fully expect some fans to say "oh, DMG is really getting things done".

In the meantime, I will continue to support the Valiant team and creators, and will hope that the urge to create movies will not start steering the content of the stories.
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

Does this mean Jared Leto is out?

:?

SuperMage
Favorite character: Animalia

Post by SuperMage »

depluto wrote:Does this mean Jared Leto is out?

:?
He was never in. Vin Diesel replaced him.

Captain Craig
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Favorite character: XO Manowar/Shadowman
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: tough one

Post by Captain Craig »

possumgrease wrote:So what should we call this era? I'm thinking DaMaGed Valiant...
That is funny!! Well done!