Matt Kindt

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

otomo
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello
Matt Kindt

Post by otomo »

Over the course of reading VEI, I realized I was much more a Matt Kindt fan than I may be a Valiant fan per se (though obviously I really like the valiant stuff as well, especially if say there's a Dysart attached to a project). So I started reading all of his back catalogue over Christmas/New Years and getting sick and being home from work this last week.

It's really good guys. I don't know how many folk have read it, but I'd take Mind MGMT over any of his Valiant work, and Dept H is not that far behind either. If I were to rank his non-valiant stuff:

1. Mind MGMT
2. Dept H
3. Revolver
4. 3 Story
5. Grass Kings
6. The Tooth (written by Cullen Bunn, Matt on art)
7. Ether
8. Poppy! and the Lost Lagoon
9. Pastaways
10. Pistol Whip
12. Two Sisters
13.Red Handed
14. Pistol Whip: The Yellow Menace
15. Super Spy

I read his Star Wars mini he wrote for Dark horse, it was okay, not that exciting. And I haven't bothered with his DC stuff, not sure I will.

This stuff is REALLY indie. You know how Divinity has kinda a weird indie feel to it? Take away the polished art and get a little bit freer on the writing end and that's about where these are at.

There's my report.
Like XO Manowar or Conan The Barbarian? Check out my new graphic novel, DEUS VULT on IndieGoGo now: Deus Vult: http://igg.me/at/deusvult.

WrathOfArmstrong
Valiant fan since: April 2017
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Wrath of Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditte
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
Re: Matt Kindt

Post by WrathOfArmstrong »

I loved Ether--and only read it because I was really enjoying his Valiant titles. But he was on my 'not bad' writer list after his New 52 runs at DC. As in, I wasn't seeking him out, but not avoiding him. Spy stories and such just aren't something I'm putting in my budget and that's why I've held off so long. I hope to dig through the rest of the catalog of his this year as well.

I'm a big fan of Frankenstein Agent of Shade--and I liked his and Lemire's run. But like most writers, their personal stuff tends to be leagues better than what they do for the big two.

ilzuccone
Valiant fan since: VEI

Post by ilzuccone »

I find Kindt's non valiant work to be really good. unfortunately i feel like kindt's valiant work is a bit phoned in.

but i'm also the guy who feels like valiant took a down turn when kindt and lamire were brought on board.

otomo
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello

Post by otomo »

WrathOfArmstrong wrote:I loved Ether--and only read it because I was really enjoying his Valiant titles. But he was on my 'not bad' writer list after his New 52 runs at DC. As in, I wasn't seeking him out, but not avoiding him. Spy stories and such just aren't something I'm putting in my budget and that's why I've held off so long. I hope to dig through the rest of the catalog of his this year as well.

I'm a big fan of Frankenstein Agent of Shade--and I liked his and Lemire's run. But like most writers, their personal stuff tends to be leagues better than what they do for the big two.
Yeah I avoided his DC work because I figured I'd just be disappointed by it. I read his dark horse star wars mini and it was meh/ok. But dang those top 7 I listed of his indie work are excellent.
Like XO Manowar or Conan The Barbarian? Check out my new graphic novel, DEUS VULT on IndieGoGo now: Deus Vult: http://igg.me/at/deusvult.

The Dirt Gang
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Unity #1
Favorite writer: Shooter/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by The Dirt Gang »

I need to read more of Kindt's stuff but I agree with those of you who enjoy the personnel stuff more. Part of it for me is that I love Kindt's art style.

I'm debating on whether to pick up his variant covers for Eternity because I just love the say he draws those characters.

I picked up the first volume of Mind MGMT years ago and need to finish the series.

On a similar note, it will be hard for Lemiere to top Sweettooth. It was such a different story.
Multum In Parvo