Fathom

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

otomo
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello
Fathom

Post by otomo »

I've never read this before. I know this was a hot property in the late 90s and I just picked up the "definitive edition" trade which has a lot of content for like $50. I'm about 120 pages into the story. This is very good stuff. Both the art and the story are very compelling, reminds me a lot tone wise of the early 2012 VEI relaunch stuff. Not sure how I missed this when it was the hottest thing ever but I'm glad I read it now.

I see Aspen seems to be doing some good things lately as a company too. Another small alternative universe company to look out for?
Like XO Manowar or Conan The Barbarian? Check out my new graphic novel, DEUS VULT on IndieGoGo now: Deus Vult: http://igg.me/at/deusvult.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin
Re: Fathom

Post by Cyberstrike »

otomo wrote:I've never read this before. I know this was a hot property in the late 90s and I just picked up the "definitive edition" trade which has a lot of content for like $50. I'm about 120 pages into the story. This is very good stuff. Both the art and the story are very compelling, reminds me a lot tone wise of the early 2012 VEI relaunch stuff. Not sure how I missed this when it was the hottest thing ever but I'm glad I read it now.

I see Aspen seems to be doing some good things lately as a company too. Another small alternative universe company to look out for?
Fathom was created by Micheal Turner and was originally published by Image/Top Cow but he left and formed Aspen to publish it and other books, sadly Fathom vol. 1 was delayed for a long time (just when a crossover with Witchblade and Tomb Raider both books that Turner had done art for was starting). When the book came back Turner revealed that the lateness of the book was because he was battling cancer and was starting Aspen, he also went on to do some work at DC namely a 6 part story in Superman/Batman #6-12 (that was later adapted as the DC animated movie Superman/Batman: Apocalypse) and he did the covers to Identity Crisis mini-series. Then the cancer returned and he died.

As far as an Aspen Universe they seem to be smashing some of their titles into a shared universe. Some of their work is OK but the lack of any ongoing series always turned me off from them.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

ironherc
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by ironherc »

not every company can survive with ongoings, but something that comes out frequent would be nice.

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Shadowman99 »

I picked up one Aspen title a few years ago. Bought the first series retrospectively, bought series 2 issue #1 when it came out... Then had to wait a year for the series to continue with issue 2, which was released under the guise 'Series 3 issue 1'. Absolutely mental. I'll never buy Aspen again, their publishing just isn't reliable enough for my satisfaction.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t