Ninja-K #12 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Ninja-K #12 Discussion

Post by grendeljd »

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue, please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr181/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
Re: Ninja-K #12 Discussion

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Decent issue, perhaps could have read better with clearer art in some panels. I do like De latorre’s art but the monster thing made up of body parts was so unclear I’ve no idea what it supposed to look like or how it’s supposed to function. Probably the best thing is the Livewire story line which runs alongside the Chernobyl/undying enemy/eternal warrior storyline.

3.5/5

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:Decent issue, perhaps could have read better with clearer art in some panels. I do like De latorre’s art but the monster thing made up of body parts was so unclear I’ve no idea what it supposed to look like or how it’s supposed to function.
Pretty much sums it up for me. There are quite a few panels and sequences where my brain just summed it up as "okay, there's some kind of fight here and bodies in motion". Was totally unsure how to interpret that "kick to the face with knife tip boot" panel. His leg looked like it was disjoined from the rest of his body. Or something. The faces throughout are creepy cool though.

And the panel where Dying one is about to crush his skull was kind of chilling.

But the story is working and it was a good issue.

otomo
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello

Post by otomo »

Really enjoyed the storytelling of this, from a writing perspective it's a 5/5. And I had the same issues many had with the art being a little too hard to see. The colorist got a bit lazy with doing those like "all one color" stuff in there. However, I think the story held up well enough where I actually look forward to Ninja-K books out of valiant close to top of the list each month. This is really well executed. Loved the cliffhanger, the drama with Livewire continuing. They need to just keep the serialized developments going like this every month for all their books and they'd be in great shape again.
Like XO Manowar or Conan The Barbarian? Check out my new graphic novel, DEUS VULT on IndieGoGo now: Deus Vult: http://igg.me/at/deusvult.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

otomo wrote:Really enjoyed the storytelling of this... This is really well executed. Loved the cliffhanger, the drama with Livewire continuing. They need to just keep the serialized developments going like this every month for all their books and they'd be in great shape again.
+1

+10 for serialized developments!

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

I was thumbing through this again today and taking some time to enjoy the artwork. While there are a few murky panels, it really is quite good throughout.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

jmatt wrote:I was thumbing through this again today and taking some time to enjoy the artwork. While there are a few murky panels, it really is quite good throughout.
Yeah, he’s an excellent artist and I’d like to see more from him, but what was that body parts monster supposed to look like? How did it move? What could it do to you?

It is a shame this book is ending though, it’s been a bright light at a very mediocre time.

grendeljd
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:
jmatt wrote:I was thumbing through this again today and taking some time to enjoy the artwork. While there are a few murky panels, it really is quite good throughout.
Yeah, he’s an excellent artist and I’d like to see more from him, but what was that body parts monster supposed to look like? How did it move? What could it do to you?

It is a shame this book is ending though, it’s been a bright light at a very mediocre time.
Agree 100% with that statement.

Also, much as I love De La Torres art style, I do agree that there are some indecipherable panels at times.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Agree with both of you, Gage's run has been terrific.

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

I feel like I'm repeating the same thing I said in the X-O thread, but basically..

Art: Sucks
Writing: Stellar, but I'm not liking this arc as much as the last two.

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1 (2012)
Favorite character: Ninjak/Woody
Favorite title: Bloodshot/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

jmatt wrote:Agree with both of you, Gage's run has been terrific.
This :thumb: