Bloodshot: Rising Spirit #1 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

otomo
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello
Bloodshot: Rising Spirit #1 Discussion

Post by otomo »

Surprised this isn't up already. I was the most hype about this book and interested just to see how a new direction of Bloodshot would go after such a long run by Lemire (under different titles). I thought Salvation really ended in a whimper and felt like Lemire phoned it in compared to previous installments. So how did Rising Spirit fare?

We've shifted tone from what we're used to in Bloodshot from the "realistic" style art which really isn't all that exciting even though it's beautiful, to more of standard comic fare. Even though this "isn't as good" technically, I find I actually prefer this art quite a bit because it fits the tone of Bloodshot better. It's an action comic. The deconstruction vibe doesn't feel all that great for the hero. Nothing bothered me art wise in it, nothing wowed me either. I was happy all the way and not distracted. That's frankly good comic art there.

As for the story, it's got some standard "origin" fare. The beginning of the book feels like it's communicating backstory rather than sucking us in, which is alright, as we're learning about what's going on here. We get our bits of action -- which we've missed a lot during Lemire's run. I'd always expected Bloodshot to have more... blood and shots. This delivered on that end. However, by the same token, I feel like we just don't connect to the character like Lemire made us do. He really made us care about Ray, his family, everything around him. This doesn't do that. You have a story, good action, it's fun, it's pulp, it's imminently forgettable.... just like the false memories we learn are implanted at the end. Now it makes more sense as to why this guy isn't Ray. Or is he? I suppose we'll see as it unfolds.

Overall, it's alright. Art is alright, book is alright. I'm not thrilled, I'm not dropping it. It's popcorn. 7/10.
Like XO Manowar or Conan The Barbarian? Check out my new graphic novel, DEUS VULT on IndieGoGo now: Deus Vult: http://igg.me/at/deusvult.

Sheikhaljabal
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: Imperium
Favorite writer: Van Lente
Favorite artist: Crain
Re: Bloodshot: Rising Spirit #1 Discussion

Post by Sheikhaljabal »

Is it true that it contains some kind of ad regarding RAI?
Last edited by Sheikhaljabal on Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:44:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by possumgrease »

Sheikhaljabal wrote:Is it true that it cointains some kind of ad regarding RAI?
Yes. That's what it appears to be.

Sheikhaljabal
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: Imperium
Favorite writer: Van Lente
Favorite artist: Crain

Post by Sheikhaljabal »

Thanks, haven't read it yet. More 41st century stuff is very good news to me. I'll keep waiting for PSI-LORDS and more SAVAGE.

jxm640
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: GIN-GR
Favorite title: Rai
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by jxm640 »

This issue is good, although not great.

It really has the feel of an action book, but for some reason I have a feeling that Bloodshot won't be the actual protagonist of the series. That's just the feeling that I got from the end of the book.

About the Rai teaser... :high-five: if this is an actual tease for Rai (especially if Matt Kindt is working on it).
This is what happens when you try to work...

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU

Post by kinggirlfriend »

I haven't seen the RAI advertisement but I'd be surprised if Kindt's writing it. The interview he just gave said after X-O he's done with Valiant. He hasn't said when he'll be done with X-O just that he only wants to work on his own properties going forward.

http://www.outrightgeekery.com/2018/11/ ... valiant-2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT: Here's the ad....

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

Meh sums it up for me. The art was laughable at some point. Arms longer than they should the page spread of bloodshot. Bloodshot in the grass with a very long arm looking like he was punching grass.

Not horrible issue just meh see where issue two goes.
I Miss the good old days.

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

This, to me was a cluster of "WTF?"

Art was all over the place, and you can tell that three different artists were involved because we got three different Bloodshots.

Worse, pages were all over the place! Panels were out of order, or at least they seemed that way to me. First panel, "Everyone Back away", then they open fire, shooting Bloodshot 5 times in the face and neck, he then lunges at the attackers and the lead gun shooters say "Don't move except on my order" YOU JUST SHOT HIM 5 FRIGGIN TIMES!! HE'S LUNGING AT YOU!! Fast forward two pages and a shot in the back of the head puts him down. WHAT ABOUT THE 5 SHOTS TO THE FRONT OF HIS HEAD?

Another panel set up that just made me cringe! "Don't Move" "Too Later" "Who are you? This can't be real!" "THAT PART"
huh? WHAT PART? What in the heck are you trying to tell us? Seems there was a conversation that we straight up missed!
Moose

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

After the first page I was a little perturbed. By the third, I was angry. When I read the last five pages I thought "Thank. God." I was sooo happy they weren't taking us back to Mortalli. Not that I minded it in VH1 but this character already has enough origin weirdness.

And I agree with Moose's observations above.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

That was very average! Thankfully the painful Italian gangster bit was a false memory, but did the whole issue need to be taken up by this one plot twist? Given that we’ve seen this before with false memories what have long term readers gained from this issue?

The art was C grade at best, following Suayan and LaRosa on the book, this is a big drop off.

Glad people have mentioned about the ‘long arm’ panel and the out of sequence panels, this does not inspire confidence in the new editors if they give this a pass. facepalm

2.5/5 - must try harder

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:Another panel set up that just made me cringe! "Don't Move" "Too Late" "Who are you? This can't be real!" "THAT PART"
"Too late" as in he already moved.

"That part" as in it's not real.

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1 (2012)
Favorite character: Ninjak/Woody
Favorite title: Bloodshot/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

I actually liked the 90's feel to this and am looking forward to seeing where to from here.

Sure it's not the best first issue of a series but its a decent enough start.

Billed as an origin story but starts in 2010, so this is the origin of the current iteration of Bloodshot (i.e. Swierczynski/Lemire's take)?

I'd give it 4/5, brought back that 90's comic feel I didn't realize I'd been jonesing for.

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

jmatt wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:Another panel set up that just made me cringe! "Don't Move" "Too Late" "Who are you? This can't be real!" "THAT PART"
"Too late" as in he already moved.

"That part" as in it's not real.
OK, I can kind of see that, but really? That was the best line you could come up with right there? an editor couldn't say "ya know, I see it, but it just doesn't jive..."

Nope, it sure can't be

Hmm, more that second part

Less words? "That second part"
Moose

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

This is the best thread in this group. :thumb:
I Miss the good old days.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Just catching up on posting episode links here - got behind while travelling out-of-country :D

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [& Ninja-K #13], please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr185/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;