Ninja-k #13 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
Ninja-k #13 Discussion

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Pretty decent issue again from Gage. Felt like a lot happened, battle with the Undying One, return of Gilad, Colin dissolving his relationship with MI-6, etc Again, Gage makes some nice references to Valiant continuity eg ‘the Veil’ where Gilad goes when he dies.

I like 90% of De La Torre’s art but there’s still some panels which are unclear what’s happening.

2 things puzzled me though, firstly I don’t recall the magic amulet over Gilad’s heart before, was this mentioned in a previous issue? :?

Where did the guy with the orange checked scarf come from? Was he supposed to be MI-6?? :?

4/5 - good read

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Re: Ninja-k #13 Discussion

Post by jmatt »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:I like 90% of De La Torre’s art but there’s still some panels which are unclear what’s happening.

2 things puzzled me though, firstly I don’t recall the magic amulet over Gilad’s heart before, was this mentioned in a previous issue? :?

Where did the guy with the orange checked scarf come from? Was he supposed to be MI-6?? :?
Same questions. I don't recall the amulet... I hope it was mentioned in a previous issue or it kind of comes from nowhere. He obviously can't see it but he talks about it like he knows it's there.

And some of the panels were confusing in battle. Ninjak's mask is on then it appears off then on again. I can see now why he had to show facial flesh with so much black all over the panels but it was disconcerting.

I assumed scarf guy was MI6.

Have we heard Gilad refer to his nether world as the Veil before? Perhaps they meant "vale" which is a more accurate description.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

jmatt wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:I like 90% of De La Torre’s art but there’s still some panels which are unclear what’s happening.

Same questions. I don't recall the amulet... I hope it was mentioned in a previous issue or it kind of comes from nowhere. He obviously can't see it but he talks about it like he knows it's there.

And some of the panels were confusing in battle. Ninjak's mask is on then it appears off then on again. I can see now why he had to show facial flesh with so much black all over the panels but it was disconcerting.

I assumed scarf guy was MI6.

Have we heard Gilad refer to his nether world as the Veil before? Perhaps they meant "vale" which is a more accurate description.
In other news Jmatt, on my re-read of Kindt’s Ninjak it seems that maybe the name ‘Alcott’ is given to MI6 handlers. Neville Alcott was married but seemingly left his wife for Angelina Alcott (Roku), however, in an encounter with the undead monk he gets his memory wiped so he only has a vague notion of who Angelina was. But the key takeaway seemed to be the surname is presumably false and doesn’t indicate a family connection. I think there’s still enough grey around it for a future writer to expand/change this.

QUARTZ
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by QUARTZ »

I loved the art but the same thing about the amulet confused me. Everything else worked though, it's good to see Eternal Warrior back. I am really kind of taken back by the series ending in the next issue though but it seems to make sense considering the change in direction for the character.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Just catching up on posting episode links here - got behind while travelling out-of-country :D

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [& Bloodshot: PRS #1], please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr185/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kinggirlfriend
Valiant fan since: 2016
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: CAFU

Post by kinggirlfriend »

grendeljd wrote:Just catching up on posting episode links here - got behind while travelling out-of-country :D

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [& Bloodshot: PRS #1], please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr185/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good episode! I appreciated you guys discussing the state of the union of Valiant and how this change is impacting the titles. It was cathartic. Everything feels kind of dull right now, like a slow motion car crash. I'm with you guys to the end of LIFE & DEATH OF TOYO! :D

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

kinggirlfriend wrote:
grendeljd wrote:Just catching up on posting episode links here - got behind while travelling out-of-country :D

Good episode! I appreciated you guys discussing the state of the union of Valiant and how this change is impacting the titles. It was cathartic. Everything feels kind of dull right now, like a slow motion car crash. I'm with you guys to the end of LIFE & DEATH OF TOYO! :D
:high-five:

grendeljd
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Only just read this issue recently, gotta say I really enjoyed it!

Great battle with The Dying One - I love how this idea of him finally inhabiting Gilads body is playing out. Didn’t mind that the amulet thing wasn’t heavily explained - there had to be *something* keeping the Dying One bound to Gilad, and it made sense that it was something created by that other fellow in the group (name is escaping me right now). Feels a bit like a classic Valiant story without feeling dated to the 90’s, if that makes any sense.

Really bummed that this book is over - I still haven’t read #14 yet, I’m kind of putting it off as it’s a rare good reading experience from Valiant lately.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;