X-O Manowar [2017] #22 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
X-O Manowar [2017] #22 Discussion

Post by grendeljd »

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [& Bloodshot: PRS #2, & Livewire #1], please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr190/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill
Re: X-O Manowar [2017] #22 Discussion

Post by nonplayer »

The start of this issue had me doubting the validity of the rrst of the book.
A metor falls from the sky ok I get that. It falls from the sky and impacts like we saw last issue. Ok fine makes sence.
Then the first page there is a crater and everyone is in it and aric is struggeling. ... wait so it hit the earth created a explosion everyone climbed in the hole.
So Aric stopped a falling metor and holding it is an issue.
And He does it with out a helmet.

Where is gin-gr? Did I miss something?

I call mcguffin taimos 2 out of 5. The art was not my cuppa tea.
I Miss the good old days.

otomo
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Tomas Giorello

Post by otomo »

Aliens do their thing, go away, everything's kinda fixed but another threat's coming. I didn't care that much, I don't love this art style (SO EXCITED FOR NEXT ISSUE), I liked the development of Lady Brigadier General though, made the issue worth reading.

Also... Aric isn't talking like Aric anymore, he's just talking like a normal person. Editorial oversights folk. How can I get hired to do this? @.@

7/10
Like XO Manowar or Conan The Barbarian? Check out my new graphic novel, DEUS VULT on IndieGoGo now: Deus Vult: http://igg.me/at/deusvult.

QUARTZ

Post by QUARTZ »

There was no way everyone would have survived the impact of an asteroid from space....Aric I can buy...but that's like the force of a couple atomic bombs going off. It was really dumb the way it was presented, like Aric caught it midair but it somehow caused a huge impact crater anyways. I can't wait for the next arc but this one was silly.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

nonplayer wrote:And He does it with out a helmet.
I thought the same thing. The meteor plot device is preposterous, especially given the huge explosion we saw it cause and the end of the last issue.

The rest of the issue was okay, I suppose.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

This arc was a chore to read, glad it’s over. I think it’s time for a fresh writer on XO.

I like Ryp’s art,...but not on XO! It does not seem a good fit for some reason. :? I will say this though, compare the detail he puts in the backgrounds compared to virtually no background work in the Bloodshot Rising Spirit book, Ryp should get paid twice what the other guy gets!

2.75/5 wasted arc

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:I like Ryp’s art,...but not on XO! It does not seem a good fit for some reason.
I thought the same thing. I love his work, but it doesn't seem right for this book.

And +1 on the background comment.

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote:This arc was a chore to read, glad it’s over. I think it’s time for a fresh writer on XO.

I like Ryp’s art,...but not on XO! It does not seem a good fit for some reason. :? I will say this though, compare the detail he puts in the backgrounds compared to virtually no background work in the Bloodshot Rising Spirit book, Ryp should get paid twice what the other guy gets!

2.75/5 wasted arc
I think I can look at the entire Kindt XO story and say it was a mistake, he's ruining it just like he ruined Harbinger Wars.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

hawkeyeps wrote:
Dallow Spicer1 wrote:This arc was a chore to read, glad it’s over. I think it’s time for a fresh writer on XO.

2.75/5 wasted arc
I think I can look at the entire Kindt XO story and say it was a mistake, he's ruining it just like he ruined Harbinger Wars.
I think with Kindt you get a double edged sword. He creates loads of characters which can be used for years to come by other writers...however he doesn’t always stick the landing (to use an OTV phrase). I thought the first arc or so was decent but not lately. Let’s have a change of writers without a restart of numbering ! :hope:

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

besides some of the obvious flaws, did anyone else notice the breakdown/failing of the X-O Suit? No helmet, no right hand (regarding the armor), the suit mentioned problems with the energy, and it couldn't control it, it also mentioned something like it was being invaded. I'm going to have to go back and specifically focus on what the X-O Suit is going through, but with the upcoming arc regarding the bounty hunters, Aric could be facing them with no suit again.

That, and the suit could bond with the unknown....
Moose

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:besides some of the obvious flaws, did anyone else notice the breakdown/failing of the X-O Suit? No helmet, no right hand (regarding the armor), the suit mentioned problems with the energy, and it couldn't control it, it also mentioned something like it was being invaded. I'm going to have to go back and specifically focus on what the X-O Suit is going through, but with the upcoming arc regarding the bounty hunters, Aric could be facing them with no suit again.

That, and the suit could bond with the unknown....
Nice pick up. But I dont think the theory holds water. I saw
The helmet started to repair itself.
I Miss the good old days.