One of these things...

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
One of these things...

Post by jmatt »

... is not like the other. (If you're old enough, you know the rest of the song)

I looked over at my new Livewire standee and felt compelled to place her next to Iron Man to underscore a difference:

One of these characters, Livewire, in her latest incarnation, apparently has the ability of flight without her suit.

Can you imagine Tony Stark flying around in his street clothes? VEI needs to rectify this now. Canon cannot simply be thrown out the window with new writers and editors.

It almost makes me wonder if Vita Ayala read anything about the character before she was handed the reins. Imagine a new writer on IM saying "Wait, he needs his suit to fly?" Would that writer get the job? facepalm

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Re: One of these things...

Post by grendeljd »

I hear ya man... I haven’t even read the full Livewire #1 yet, I’m just not feeling enthused about it. Which is a shame as I generally love the character in her VEI incarnation to date!

Love that Iron Man standee, by the way!! :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

Oops.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

grendeljd wrote:I hear ya man... I haven’t even read the full Livewire #1 yet, I’m just not feeling enthused about it. Which is a shame as I generally love the character in her VEI incarnation to date!
It's a mixed bag. Overall, I thought the first issue was okay, with caveats. I've listed my gripes in the other thread. But this... this aspect really makes me wonder. How could the writer just gift her the ability of flight? Why would editors Menchel and Illidge approve? Do they not know her powerset or backstory?
grendeljd wrote:Love that Iron Man standee, by the way!! :thumb:
Thanks!

jxm640
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: GIN-GR
Favorite title: Rai
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by jxm640 »

jmatt wrote: It's a mixed bag. Overall, I thought the first issue was okay, with caveats. I've listed my gripes in the other thread. But this... this aspect really makes me wonder. How could the writer just gift her the ability of flight? Why would editors Menchel and Illidge approve? Do they not know her powerset or backstory?
I have a fear that the response will be:

"Blah, blah, technology. Yadda, Yadda, wearing suit underneath. Mary Sue etc..."

edited from full on quoting the previous message.
This is what happens when you try to work...

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

jxm640 wrote:I have a fear that the response will be:

"Blah, blah, technology. Yadda, Yadda, wearing suit underneath.
Yeah, that's kind of my expectation as well. The problem with the 'suit underneath' answer is that the suit works by having thousands (millions?) of tiny "wings" on its surface, that make flight possible.

But since she has also been granted the power of telekinesis over anything electronic, they could say she's just moving her suit -- and she just happens to be in it.

This is also problematic for me, and she was gifted that ability before the present writer. The ability to "control electronics" by permeating and manipulating nand gates and electrical pathways (her original power), etc is quite different than being able to make anything with a wire or chip fly around. Magneto, yes. Livewire, no.